Author Topic: Show #22 - 09/05/07 Carrying the 1911, speedloaders and more..  (Read 26799 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Show #22 - 09/05/07 Carrying the 1911, speedloaders and more..
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:04:12 PM »

More on US Forest Service, carrying the 1911, speedloaders and Gun Owners For Fred Thompson

This week's references and learn more links :

http://www.downrange.tv/podcast.htm

tnroadrunner

• Very Active Forum Member
    • LubeDealer.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Show #22 - 09/05/07 Carrying the 1911, speedloaders and more..
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 06:59:33 AM »
Michael what about lefties using speedloaders?  I'm not fast but still use my speedloaders on the weak side.  Can you comment on this?
Bob
It's always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 GUN
AMSOIL Dealer
www.lubedealer.com/rgraflube

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 03:19:25 PM »
It was good to hear Michael mention the lack of needing to carry a re-load. I carry a snubby in my pocket for the last 3 years (almost) but no reload. The stats say you are unlikely to need 5 rounds. Having said that, I keep a speed strip in the bedroom, another in my upstairs home office and a home made dump pouch in the car.

I'm carrying a new (to me) snubby since yesterday. S&W model 342 Ti. 38spl only no lock. 12oz loaded. Oh my what a difference from my 25oz Taurus 605!
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 09:18:53 PM »
Howdy Don,
I have the same pistol, and love it, The only changes I made were to put a spring kit in it and replaced the "Bantam" Grips with a pair of speigal "Boot Grips", I have thick fingers and the rubber S&W stock grips  just didn't fit my hand. I usually carry either a couple speed loaders or speed strips with me, better to have it and not need it ... ;)
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:23:39 AM »

The only changes I made were to put a spring kit in it and replaced the "Bantam" Grips

Majer, about the spring kit, was that to "lighten" the trigger pull? As for the grips I "think" I like thiese Bantams. On my S&W 642 and Taurus 605 I changed out the factory grips with Hogue Monogrips which gave me a full 3 finger grip. But on this S&W 342 I may stay with the Bantam.  I haven't shot it yet. I did shoot a rental 340PD .357 prior to my purchase with full power loads and while that hurt I was able to do follow up shots nicely.

I'm expecting to like the S&W 342 alot!
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Sponsor

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 10:19:32 PM »
Don, The pistol I have had a VERY heavy trigger pull, so much so, that it was hard to shoot well. The spring kit and some smoothing of some burrs, helped a lot. I guess under a stress situation you wouldn't feel the heavy trigger but I still like a slightly lighter, smooth trigger
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

hodman

• Very Active Forum Member
  • I just need faster reloads with my wallet
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 04:55:48 PM »
http://www.hellweg.com.au/

This is the link for the Hellweg Holster

http://www.shootingsystems.com/

Shooting systems is listed as the US Dist.
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

fm451

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 07:01:37 PM »
Michael, enjoyed your talk regarding holsters for the 1911 pistol.  I noted you discussed plastic holsters (Blade-Tech), and leather holsters (Alessi, etc.).  You didn't really touch on fabric/nylon holsters, such as sold by Uncle Mike's, Blackhawk, Orca, Bianchi, etc..
They haven't shown up on Shooting Gallery either. Just wondering what your thoughts were on the utility of cordura holsters for sport, shooting matches/IDPA, and self-defense.  Thanks!

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 04:17:54 PM »

Just one thing about the speed loaders for revolvers. Michael you forgot to mention the Bianchi speed strips. their a great way to carry a reload, for I think everyone should have at least one reload. I think their almost as fast as the traditional speed loader if you practice with them, their also infinitely more conceilable. They lay flat in your pocket and holds 6 rounds. I’ve got the .38/.357 version for my J-frame and I’ve seen the .44sp/.44mag version at the store and on eBay. They might make other calibers but I’m not sure about that. As for me the round traditional speed loader is fine if your wearing a vest or jacket and I do keep one in my vest for when I’m wearing it. But i don’t think any body has ever said i brought way to much ammo to that gun fight!
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

Revchuck

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »
Mike - I only just listened to this podcast, and I have to disagree with you on methods of carrying a speedloader.  I carry a revolver daily and shoot one in IDPA and USPSA.

A pocket is a bad place to carry a speedloader for the same reason it's a bad place to carry a magazine.  There's likely to be other stuff in that pocket, and that other stuff can get stuck in the spare ammo, somewhat slowing down the reload. ;) Lint doesn't mess up a speedloader the way it can a magazine, but it doesn't help, either.

You can carry a speedloader on a belt without it looking like a goiter.  Just like a holster, how well it conceals depends what you're carrying the speedloader in.  Several companies offer speedloader carriers that carry the speedloader with three rounds on each side of the belt; Safariland, Don Hume, and Blade-Tech are among them.  When carried like this, they stick out less than a double-stack magazine.  My choice, for both carry and IDPA competition, is the Blade-Tech version that holds two speedloaders.  It's carried directly in front of the holster, and conceals well under the pseudo-Hawaiian square-bottomed shirts I get from Wal-Mart and other cheap places.

Two speedloaders?  Sure - I'm a strong believer in the concept that you can only carry too much spare ammo if you're swimming. :)
Regards,
Chuck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk