Author Topic: Ammo with best stopping power for .38 S&W  (Read 11298 times)

primacord2257

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ammo with best stopping power for .38 S&W
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 10:54:26 AM »
Thanks for the great advice. I will contact S&W just to make sure. The only thing on the barrel is "S&W .38 SPCL." It is a 5 shot and it does have an exposed hammer. I'm not too familiar with the gun, my main carry weapon is a 9mm. Thanks for the clarification on the "detective". I assumed that's what it was since a salesman at a local gunshop referred to it as such. I guess it proves what they say about assuming. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »
In truth, I carry Hornady non- +P 125-gr JHPs in my snubs. My rationale is that on a pocket pistol, shot placement trumps bullet expansion/penetration. And I want the follow-up shots to be there, and for me that becomes an issue with the hyper-pressure. 38s (and certainly the .357 snubs). I use the Hornadys in all my snubs, including the heavier Ruger SP101, the titanium Taurus Ultra-Lites and the S&Ws.

I agree that if you shoot  the hot stuff, you'll get used to it...but DARN, that is expensive!!! I typicall practice with .38 cowboy out of the snubs, because I always have it around and it  with the heavier lead bullet it actually feels hotter than the 125 JHPs.

The most important thing is HAVE A GUN!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 02:04:18 PM »
Open the cylinder and check for model # (something like 36-2 or 442-3).  If it was made around 1988 it's not +p rated.  I'm not sure what exactly MB is carrying but it 's OK with me.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 10:59:07 PM »
In truth, I carry Hornady non- +P 125-gr JHPs in my snubs. My rationale is that on a pocket pistol, shot placement trumps bullet expansion/penetration..............

Michael B

There I was....happy in life without a snubbie :D.  Then there was this show on the Outdoor Channel with some guy named Rausch and some guy name of Bane :o....now I gots me three snubbies ;D.  Is there like some kind of subliminal message going on in these shows ::) ?
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Mojave Desert

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »
I found some old stock Federal .38 special 125 gr. Nyclad HP +P at my local gun shop and now it's my load of choice in my snubbie.  Later went back to the store and bought all of it!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:35:56 PM »

clayflingythingy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 05:20:53 AM »

I agree that if you shoot  the hot stuff, you'll get used to it...but DARN, that is expensive!!! I typicall practice with .38 cowboy out of the snubs, because I always have it around and it  with the heavier lead bullet it actually feels hotter than the 125 JHPs.

Michael B

MB,

You complain about the cost of +P but then state you do your practice with cowboy ammo? Factory store bought cowboy ammo is about double the cost of generic USA (WWB), UMC (REM), S&B, or other practice ammo. I try to practice once a month and I shoot a cylinder of +P and the rest standard pressure reloads. 60 rounds a year of +P isn't too bad cost wise. If it became an issue I would simply shoot the +P less and the reloads more!

The "have a gun statement" I agree with wholeheartedly and am glad you are not one of these gun writing buttholes who say nothing less than a 45 1911 will do for SD.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
Mojave Desert,  I like the old S&W/Federal Nyclad 125 gr. Chief Special non +p but technology has passed us by.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 05:01:27 PM »
If your gun is rated for +P, I like the Federal 110gr. +P+ LEO load. I wouldn't shoot them out of a non +P rated gun but other wise they make great power for a snuby ;D. But regardless of what you shoot shot placement will trump power any day!
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

Mojave Desert

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 06:06:07 PM »
Your discussion on .38 carry loads has got me thinking...so I loaded up some plastic milk jugs with water and fired a few choice loads I had on hand. 

1) Federal 125gr Nyclad HP +P: expands to .75, penetrates to 8".
2) Federal 129gr Hydra-Shok JHP +P: no expansion, penetrates 17".
3) Winchester 158gr Lead HP +P: very slight expansion, penetrates 15".

Also noteworthy are the effects on the first jug hit by the various rounds.

I used a S&W M-60 with 1 7/8" barrel from 10', 45 degrees air temperture.

azazal911

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »
I really like cor-bon ammo...and they have the Power Ball ammo that is dead on acurate.  I also really like Barnes bullets, hunting or self defense it is Barnes bullets that have the best test data i have come across.

Also you should really try several diffrent loads.  Some guns are really picky as to what you feed them.  Hornady TAP ammo is also really good.  Federal Hydra Shocks, if it si good enough for the police then it has to be good ammo right?
The bullet with my name on it is not the one that scares me, it is all the ones addressed "To whom it may concern"...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk