Author Topic: EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks  (Read 27083 times)

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: EMP & Electronic Gun Safe Locks
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2009, 08:58:01 PM »
I was going to say, if you turned off the electricity to NK, who woud notice. You must have seen that nightime sattelite photo that shows SK all lit up and NK as dark as the inside of a dog.
FQ13

I was aiming at securing their weapon systems. if the nukes don't work, ya can't shoot the darn things. as the only ones that have the luxury of electricity are party members, military and the 'elite' (the commies). so if you eliminate their communication and weapons systems then we have rendered them 'useless'. no way to retaliate, whereas the common folk keep doing what they do. hell, some of their trucks run on wood!
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

Badgersmilk

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 02:19:34 AM »
A few hundred people in England can attest that a malfunctioning (pilot screwed up) pod on an F-16 will put out enough EMP to cause tube tv's to blow up in peoples living rooms!  When I say blow up, I mean what your probably thinking.  The glass tubes went boom all over the room!

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 563
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2009, 09:41:01 PM »
A few hundred people in England can attest that a malfunctioning (pilot screwed up) pod on an F-16 will put out enough EMP to cause tube tv's to blow up in peoples living rooms!  When I say blow up, I mean what your probably thinking.  The glass tubes went boom all over the room!

I bet that guy said a big "oops".
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2009, 06:34:13 AM »

TVs don't blow up - tubes are vacuum, therefore they implode ("blow in"). Anyone care enough to snopes this?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 05:07:51 AM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2009, 10:13:09 AM »
TVs don't blow up - tubes are vacuum, therefore they implode ("blow in"). Anyone care enough to snopes this?

You, sir, are correct.
We had a boob at work once that was goofing off and let a chain hoist hook get away from him and it smacked a 26" flat CRT touch screen monitor at the main machine console. Big boom.........big mess........... he needed stitches.....and clean underwear.

Implosion

A high vacuum exists within all CRT monitors. If the outer glass envelope is damaged, a dangerous implosion may occur. Due to the power of the implosion, glass pieces may bounce and explode outwards. This shrapnel can travel at dangerous and potentially fatal velocities. While modern CRTs used in televisions and computer displays have epoxy-bonded face-plates or other measures to prevent shattering of the envelope, CRTs removed from equipment must be handled carefully to avoid personal injury.

Early TV receivers had safety glass in front of their CRTs for protection. Modern CRTs have exposed faceplates; they have tension bands around the widest part of the glass envelope, at the edge of the faceplate, to keep the faceplate's glass under considerable compression, greatly enhancing resistance to impact. The tension in the band is on the order of a ton or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

BML325

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »
So does anyone know if you could convert from digital to manual lock by yourself, or do HAVE to have a locksmith do it?

I would think since you can access the inside of the safe that it shouldn't be too hard, but I thought that Michael Bane had stated on his "old" safe that even to switch out electronic for electronic he had to have a locksmith do it.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1014
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »
So does anyone know if you could convert from digital to manual lock by yourself, or do HAVE to have a locksmith do it?

I would think since you can access the inside of the safe that it shouldn't be too hard, but I thought that Michael Bane had stated on his "old" safe that even to switch out electronic for electronic he had to have a locksmith do it.

I think it could be done.....but it would be one heck of daunting a task.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »
If you haven't bought a safe yet, then buy one with a mechanical lock and the question becomes moot. Converting one is much harder in my estimation. It would probably be much better to sell the one you have to a less "paranoid" person and then buy one with a mechanical lock. I am one of those "paranoid" people and my 'safes' are mechanical lock only.

As far as EMP goes, read the report put out by the commission and cry.  :'(  And don't forget to change your shorts either.  :o

http://EMPCommission.org/

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk