Author Topic: What do you all think of the RAA Saiga?  (Read 6897 times)

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What do you all think of the RAA Saiga?
« on: July 09, 2009, 06:38:19 PM »
One of the shops here is having a sale on the RAA Saiga in 762x39. It is the 16" barrel version of the hunting stock Saiga with a ten round magazine. The advantage of the hunting stock with no flash suppressor here in CA is it comes without the magazine lock that is required on the semiautos with a pistol grip and flash suppressor.
I have heard though that AK magazines will not work. RAA also has a model in .308.

tombogan03884

Re: What do you all think of the RAA Saiga?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:04:37 PM »
 I heard there were a lot of problems with the .308 mags, especially  availability and functioning.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:47:37 PM »
No thanks on this particular weapon.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:19:38 PM »
Actually Tom is right on .308, but the 7.62x39 is POTENTIALLY the best AK out there. Heres the deal. It is made in the same factory (Sorry I just can't remember the spelling) as the Russian army AKs. Its internals, barrel etc are head and shoulders above something like a Wasser. The new models are also supposed to have dimpled receivers which will give less mag wobble with double stacks. BUT to get around the stupid requirements of 922r, BS changes were made. The mag well was slightly under sized to not take standard AK mags (something 20 minutes with a dremel will fix and it was designed for this). Secondly the trigger group was moved back to accept the sporterized stock as this was also required for import (thus no pistol grip even though the frame is already tapped for one. You can see how seriously the Russians took 922r). If you want high cap mags, to stay legal you can go two ways.
1 use US mags (surefire is the best) and ONE other US part
or
2 Convert, by adjusting the mag well, which was planned for and using 5 US parts if youre using foreign AK mags (US mag equals 3 US parts, mag, follower and floorplate) . A US stock, frontgrip and trigger group, which you'll need anyway will work.
Bottom line, for about $400 up front off gunbroker (or $389 from Rick at scherr@infionline.net) plus another $150-$200 in parts you will have one of the best AKs going. Try  the Saiga 12 forum at http://forum.saiga-12.com/. These guys are very helpful and the FAQs are useful. It does take a bit of either gunsmith money of DIY, but the 7.62x39s are the best bargain out there unless you stumble onto a great deal on an AR or AK like I did. If you want a pre-built AK try classic arms, which was offering a nice US made (so no 922r hassles AK) for $489.
FQ13

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »
Still sucks.  ::)

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:29:52 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 10:43:37 PM »
Still sucks.  ::)
Do you say that because you don't like AKs, or the Saige in particular? I ask because my post was what I learned from research before almost buying one. If I'm wrong, please tell me why, so I dont inadvertantly lead someone astray.
Thanks
FQ13

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 10:50:47 PM »
Saiga's FQ13. Like the idea with the shotgun. Other than that, purely crap so I have read. I like Ak's alot. Wish I would have bought one years ago instead of SKS's. Love the power. Hate the accuracy. I will take my DPMS AR-15 or my old Bushmaster AR15 rather than a AK or SKS any day. But if I had a choice, I would own both and am looking at a DPMS in 7.62x39. Accuracy and power have a lot to be discovered.

tfr270

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 11:50:37 PM »
Wow...
Thanks guys. FQ that was a very interesting response. It seems to me that everything here in California just costs more. They want $550 for the rifle. Sounds like if I'm willing to modify it (which is probably illegal in thiis state) I could overcome the magazine issues. Looking at the Saiga forum you sent me to it seems there are some accuracy issues from the different factorys where these are built.
I like the idea of a rifle that will run in any condition and use any make of ammunition, which is what I'm hearing about this rifle. I'm into the more powerful caliber over the 5.56/223 especially after reading the McNamara thread and hearing all the stories of underpowered combat rifles.
If something like a DPMS in 7.62x39 is available how does the durability factor between that platform and the AK/Saiga platform compare?

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 11:58:51 PM »
Keep it clean it should be OK. As to the McNamara thread, remember that was nearly 50 years ago, these ain't your Granddaddies AR's. The issues have been fixed and since your not military your not stuck shooting FMJ.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »
tfr
Trust the guys (patially) on the saiga forum (they do seem to get a bit dremel happy), which is great if you know what you're doing. I don't. Also understand that what I posted was accurate to the best of my knowledge, but is just reasearch I did when I was in your position of considering buying one and not first hand experience. Ironically, one of the things that attracted me to the weapon in the first place was that it was "PC". It looks like a hunting rifle so it won't piss off the cops or scare the neighbors, but has AK internals, and once you slap a thirty rounder in there you have one of "those" guns, but no one knows until you do. Reason 2,546 why the AWB is a joke. I don't know if you can order a straight AK over the net, but Classic Arms has a good rep. they are offering a century arms AK at $489. Century has had mixed reviews about misalignment of the gas piston and such, but their quailty has apparently improved dramatically over the years. The owner of Classic assured me they personally inspect each rifle, and if its not right, won't fix it, but send you a new one. Again, I haven't dealt with them, but word on the net backs him up on customer service. They also deal Saiga. Check them out. (I have no ties to the company, just a good Christian business with a good rep).  Good luck.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk