Author Topic: Savage 110 FCP-K .300 Win. Mag.  (Read 30033 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
Re: Savage 110 FCP-K .300 Win. Mag.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 02:19:04 PM »
I really have a hard time thinking rings with plastic in them are the best choice...  Solid steel would SURELY be my coice.  Dont forget to consider temperature changes, as much as we try to treat these rifles with kids gloves, that scope WILL get a good bump sooner or later.  The worlds finest rifle isnt worth a squirt of pee if the optics arent rock solid reliable.  So Plastic? :-\

Once you try the Burris Signature Rings you'll never go back to conventional rings again. They are indeed that good. The plastic inserts hold better because there is 100% contact that is totally self centering. Conventional rings require lapping to produce total contact. I have these rings on several heavy recoiling rifles and have never had a scope move, or shift zero with them. With the offset insert kit you can not only move point of impact vertically, but laterally and diagonally as well. All without compromising holding ability, or having to screw with expensive tapered bases. An additional feature is they will never scratch or mar a scope tube, something that is nice when you are shelling out well into 4 digits for good glass.  Bill T.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 04:15:21 PM »
Once you try the Burris Signature Rings you'll never go back to conventional rings again. They are indeed that good. The plastic inserts hold better because there is 100% contact that is totally self centering. Conventional rings require lapping to produce total contact. I have these rings on several heavy recoiling rifles and have never had a scope move, or shift zero with them. With the offset insert kit you can not only move point of impact vertically, but laterally and diagonally as well. All without compromising holding ability, or having to screw with expensive tapered bases. An additional feature is they will never scratch or mar a scope tube, something that is nice when you are shelling out well into 4 digits for good glass.  Bill T.

I agree. The Burris Signature Rings are everything they are touted to be!! 
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Badgersmilk

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 09:20:41 PM »
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=384184

Solid steel, 6 bolts, Leupold quality, reasonable cost, and it only costs about $10 bucks to buy needed supplies to lap the bases (takes about 10 minutes to).

I'm shopping for rings right now to.  Havent made up my mind just yet.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=384184

Solid steel, 6 bolts, Leupold quality, reasonable cost, and it only costs about $10 bucks to buy needed supplies to lap the bases (takes about 10 minutes to).

I'm shopping for rings right now to.  Havent made up my mind just yet.

Give them a try. Burris Signature Rings.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Badgersmilk

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »

See that diagonal slot cut above the flat head screw?  And the metal below the screw?  Hewweee, looks PRETTY thin there. :(  I know its a hinge point for their cost saving 1 pc. design, but any flex in that paper thin area will move the scope.  :(   Flat head screw opposed to torx head. :(  3 screws opposed to 6  :(.  AND a plastic insert...  Mmm, thanks much for the suggestion, just to many concerns for me.  I agree with them being a good option if your planning to trade scopes around, shouldnt mar the scope finish.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:44:17 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 11:41:26 AM »
Remember guys, when you start talking about "ring strength" it's all a lot to do about nothing. The weak link in ANY scope mount system is the 4 tiny 6-48 screws that holds the whole ball of wax to the rifle. I hear guys talk about "solid steel" this and that, "heavy cross bolt screws", etc. All of it is totally meaningless because the whole system is only as strong as it's weakest link. In actuality, having all of that heavy mass sitting on top of the rifle is going to make the whole system WEAKER not stronger, simply because you have so much more weight trying to be put into motion by recoil forces each and every time the gun fires. Those 4 tiny UNF threaded screws are going to shear long before anything else in the system fails. It's best to keep everything as light as possible. Especially with heavy tactical scopes, and heavy recoiling Magnum caliber rifles. I have never had a failure of a Burris Signature Ring in thousands of rounds. If there is any disadvantage to them it is the fact they don't look "tacticool". Considering the way they perform, I can easily live with that.   Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 11:58:52 AM »

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=452864

Here is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. People will buy these things thinking they are really "beefy", turn around and bolt a ton of tacticool crap to them. Everything from flashlights to lasers and levels, then have it all connected to the rifle with 4 little tiny 6-48 UNF screws. Put all of that on your .300 Magnum and the first thing that will hit the bench will be your scope as your brand new Superwhatit's Magnum sheds about 4 pounds of weight!  Bill T.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 12:13:24 PM »
Bill, you have to excuse BM. He isn't here to learn anything. He is here to educate the rest of us, seeing as he already knows everything. I, personally, am glad to have him and his wealth of knowledge here.

Is that better M'ette? I didn't call him a dumbass or anything.  ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 12:29:52 PM »

Bill, you have to excuse BM. He isn't here to learn anything. He is here to educate the rest of us, seeing as he already knows everything. I, personally, am glad to have him and his wealth of knowledge here.

Is that better M'ette? I didn't call him a dumbass or anything.  ;D

All hail BM and his mighty .22  ;D

LMAO  ;D

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
 ;D Now that's funny Junkie.

I have a pair of rings that I think are Burris. They look exactly the same except for no inserts. They seem very solid to me. The only problem I had was a cheap base made so far out of spec that they wouldn't tighten up enough.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk