Author Topic: marlin 336 vs mossberg 464  (Read 24309 times)

speckfise721

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
marlin 336 vs mossberg 464
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »
i dont know anything about these two 30-30's. if anyone knows a little of them, any info would be appreciated

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
Re: marlin 336 vs mossberg 464
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:57:02 AM »
I've had 2 of the Marlin 336-RCs. Excellent little rifles. You can't shoot fast, they heat up affecting accuracy, but no complaints here. I was able to hit 200 yards standing offhand with no problems.

I had a scope put on my first one, and loved it as a ranch rifle. Dropped a lot of vermin and 3 buffalo with that gun.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:14:18 PM »
I was looking at them about six months ago.  Went with the Marlin because it had better wood and seemed a bit more solid.

Walkeraviator

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:54:54 PM »
How does winchester 94 stack up in the 30-30 comparison?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1073
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 05:30:59 PM »
I like Winchester 94s. That was THE deer rifle for a long time. My dad hunted with one for decades and didn't have any problems with it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:10:41 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:39:14 PM »
I have a Winchester 94 and it shoots just fine and handles well.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »
I like Winchesters and have one.  A lot of guys like Marlins.  Seems they can be very accurate and sometimes some great wood on them.  If I were getting a new one for hunting and there was a good chance of foul weather I'd look at the stainless ones.  The 30-30 is fine for deer and black bears and ammo is readily avaiable and relatively cheap.   If you wanted somthing with a little moor punch I'd look at .35 Remington.  A lot more punch I'd look at .45-70 which you can load from mild to wild.  I'd lke to have one in either caliber.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Walkeraviator

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »
There is a winchester 94 in my future inheritance...that is why i asked.  I get my Dads safe and everything in it when he passes (hopefully a long time from now as i consider him my best friend.)  I never got to fire his winchester growing up...so i thought i woudl ask your opinion.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 05:24:10 PM »
Of course, the Winchester.. I had to get another one after the need for funds during my divorce cost me my 1894-1994 Anniversary Edition. (still kicking myself)...

This is the new one.

Marlin's are fine, fine rifles.  Personal choice speckfise721, don't know enough about the Mossberg to qualify a response.

My .02 cents between the two, would be the Marlin, and than get a 12g Mossberg 500. They make a great shotgun.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 05:29:45 PM »
Winchesters are OK, but not Scope friendly. (top eject ) Marlins been making their lever gun nearly as long as Winchester, with out many changes, and it's SIDE ejecting so it works better with a scope. Mossberg ejects from the top right, I don't know how that works out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk