Author Topic: Who needs a scope? Iron Sights still work...  (Read 6438 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Who needs a scope? Iron Sights still work...
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:36:50 PM »
I need more practice,.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4FCVEjPLdk&feature=related

It's so far, he has time to lean over and watch the impact on the spotting scope!!!! :o

Nice damn shot(s)...I want a Sharp's real bad,....check how high above the line to target he's aiming...

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

Re: Who needs a scope? Iron Sights still work...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »
 It never said what the range was. The longest DOCUMENTED shot with a black powder Sharps .50/90 was made by stage driver and Buffalo hunter Billy Dixon who knocked an indian off his horse at a distance surveyed at 1,538 yards during the Battle of Adobe walls.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Adobe_Walls

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »
that is very cool

I know I need more practice though
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:48:53 PM »
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

What is that?  45-90,  45-110?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 10:52:12 PM »
That was awesome!  :o

I'm still trying to pick my jaw of the floor.
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:06:05 AM »

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »
Incredible shooting. I wish that they gave more details on the rifle and the distance. Very impressive though. :o

I couldn't do that without lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of practice.

I'm glad that I have scopes on all of my long shooters. I guess that if it became necessary, most of us would get it down after sending a lot of ammo down range.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:48:39 AM »
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY COOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

What is that?  45-90,  45-110?

from a mate in the know 
Dave Gullo is the owner of Buffalo Arms, one of the biggest mail order companies in USA. I had the pleasure of shooting at 1000yds beside him at World Creedmoor Championships 2006 in Brisbane. That rifle is an original Sharps Borchard 1877 rebarrelled with a cut rifled barrel by Axtell arms and now chambered in 45/90. Sights are by Baldwin Sight Co. a derivitive of the original supplier to Sharps rifle Co. back in 1870.

He won first place for the highest individual score, and I got a "first" in the 4 man teams event, shooting as a member of the NZ contingent. 

Dave certainly knew his sight settings, as a change from 900 to 1000yds produced an 'X' with his first sighter. Incidentally, I have my sight settings calibrated to '0' at 100yds. To hit centre at 1000yds required a correction of 32mins left windage and 228mins of elevation; that is a tragectory 27ft left and 190ft high of the actual target. All this is done with home cast lead projectiles and black powder as the proprellant

Science has proven beyond doubt that the famed "Billy Dixon" shot, knocking an indian off his horse at 1,532yds was possible.

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 07:02:22 AM »
Absolutely incredible.  :o

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:32:01 AM »
Thanks, Phil!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 868
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:35:12 AM »
Great shot, and amazing attitude from the guy.  Think of the talent he has and the time he has put in.  I love to make empty brass ... at lot, and he just gave me one more reason.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk