Author Topic: What is Preferred for Home Defense?  (Read 38255 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What is Preferred for Home Defense?
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 11:07:24 PM »
Jaybethel,

The OP has stated that he TRIES to practice twice a month, which means he does less, (not bustin your chops Noskilz) so once again I say REVOLVER.  Semis take time to learn to operate "in your sleep", and as Walt Rausch says "If you couldn't get it done in the first five or six what makes you think another five or six will do it".
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

noskilz

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 11:36:47 PM »
No problem, Hazcat. I chose my moniker carefully!  ::)

Gr8Heath

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 02:46:52 AM »
Depends on your home. I have a small home and I like my Bushmaster carbon 15 9mm pistol with soft tip or hollow points. It allows many attachment possibilities like lights or what ever. 9mm soft tips so I don't overpenetrate and shoot through my home. Plus it gives me 30 rds. I do believe a short barrel 12g pump is not a bad option, just maybe not for everyone.

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 07:20:18 AM »
I would offer the suggestion that not only does it depend on your home, it depends on your PLAN.  As you probably already know, you should have a plan for different events just as you would for a fire in the house.  How you react to a fire in the bedroom might be different than your plan of egress for a fire, say, in the kitchen.

For example, given the layout of my house and the location of my 2-year-old daughter's room relative to mine, if the perp breaks into one of our rooms, I'm going to have my .45 and Surefire in my hands.  If he's at the other end of the house, I'll have the .45 in my hand as I get my daughter and retreat into my room so that she and my wife can take cover...  Then I am sitting at the end of a dark hallway with my 870 aimed at the first sign of motion at the light end of the hallway.  This is one of the reasons that a kitchen light stays on all night.

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 08:34:23 AM »
I like my Winchester 1300 with #4 shot, and either of my pistols. SHTF the AK can be brought on line quick.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:49:37 AM »

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 08:42:58 AM »
I like my Winchester 1300 with #4 shot, and either of my pistols. SHTF the AK can be brought on line quick.

#4 buckshot,  right?
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

dlistello

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »
I also like my 1300 with #8 up front, followed by #4 or 00. Also have my Glock 21 & RRA AR 15 as part of my "game plan".

Dave

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 01:17:39 PM »
870 with surefire forend, 7 shot tube, 4 shot sidesaddle, 20" barrel, car15 stock, tritium rifle sights, #4 buck.
glock 17 with 28 round mag, and night sights.
 S&W 649 and 940, one for momma and one for me.
1 surefire g2, 3 streamlight stingers in chargers next to the bed.
2 cell phones.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

medic1097

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 02:13:44 PM »
I have seen many good points in response to your question....I would say that your choice should be one you are comfortable with,  meaning,  practice with your choice.  Take time to look at your longest possible shot inside your home,  your construction,  can you over penetrate and hit family or others.  What access do you have to your weapon.  I have 2 small children so I have those concerns and can't have all over/anytime access.  I feel the single most important issue is what YOU CAN SHOOT WELL [/u] when the chips are down.  Good luck, shoot often, be safe.   

mazzman

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2007, 04:48:51 PM »
AR in M-4 configuration with a Surefire mounted, EoTech or ACOG sighting system and 75gr BTHPs in the magazines. Fast handling, very accurate, and good stopping power with no worries about over-penetration. Glock 30 with a hand held Surefire or Glock 35 with a Surefire mounted on the 35, extra mags, in my tactical vest. As with anything, training, have a plan and the "3-Ps": Practice, practice, practice. Also, if someone wants to grab the business end of my carbine, it will be the last mistake they make (the first one is entering my home uninvited)! 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk