Author Topic: What is Preferred for Home Defense?  (Read 38247 times)

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What is Preferred for Home Defense?
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 07:43:19 PM »
I'm back and going with Medic 1097 who is on to something (and I'll take the hit from Haz as well) The BIGGEST consideration is what kind of shot you may have to take, and your own domestic circumstances. Is the maximum shot going to be ten feet or thrity five...what kind of weapon is comfortable... so many things.
I live in NJ which, by all accounts may be the least gun-friendly state in the union. Being a highly populated place, one consideration we have here is collateral damage. I could almost THROW my 45 in the ocean from where I live, but the downside is a neighbor 20 feet on both sides of me. If I go at it with my 9mil I could be burying neighbors instead of bad guys. SO...my focus is on bigger slower bullets. I know, maybe the Judge would be a good weapon, but I can't warm up to the concept of a  mini fist-shotgun.

A well maintained semi auto is not that much trouble for someone who shoots twice a month. A Sig 220 is a perfect example. But you have to be comfortable with your weapon and you have to be able to operate it without much thought. Then it doesn't much much matter what you shoot if you can be affective.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

warhawke

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 04:47:27 AM »
I prefer a long-gun for home defense. A good shotgun or rifle is far more likely to STOP a shooter than any pistol, no matter what Ultra Mega-super Magnum ammo you feed it (unless maybe it's a .500 Magnum). As for being unwieldy, Ok, I'll buy that, but I ain't stupid enough to go wandering around looking for a bad guy in the dark of the night, I pay taxes for cops to handle that. I keep my cell-phone in the bedroom with me in case the phones go out (with my cable-system phone service, no power=no phone). I'm just going to hunker down in the bedroom doorway with the ol' M-37 Ithaca 12 gauge and wait for yon evildoer to poke his head around the corner or the sound of sirens, whichever comes first. Here in Detroit the scum run in packs and only butt-crack Rambo's go runnin' around the house thinking it's the O.K. Corral!

1st, get a weapon you like and which works well

2nd, learn your house (weak points, zones of fire, construction etc.) and make it work for you. Get alarms, bars on the windows, good locks, whatever you can afford to make your home a better castle.

3rd, keep emergency supplies in the bedroom. Gun, cell phone, flashlights, BATTERIES, first-aid kit etc. Adjust according to your needs, if the cops are hours away (if you live in the real boonies) have water and snacks and meds in there, you might need them.

4th, get good training and advice, gun mags and websites are great, they are also full of mall-ninjas and chuckleheads (though not around here, of course). Use your brain, you were issued it for a reason.

Lastly, practice emergencies, from fire to intruders. Practice lets you screw up for free, waiting for the real thing can be awful expensive.

Hope this helps.   
"Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem"
(The one hope of the doomed is not to hope for safety)
Virgil

someguy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 07:43:11 AM »
"Lastly, practice emergencies, from fire to intruders. Practice lets you screw up for free, waiting for the real thing can be awful expensive.

Hope this helps.   "

+1!!!!!

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 10:23:14 AM »
Yes Don #4 ,buckshot.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 10:30:49 AM »
I agree with others here ,its where you live and what you live in along with kids or no kids, so many variables to take into consideration. Just me and the wife and dogs in a rural setting. If I lived in an apartment things would be totaly different.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:02:35 AM »

TexasAggie01

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 01:59:37 PM »
To (mis)quote Chubby Pigeon, a fellow who contributes on another forum I frequent, pick one and become proficient with it. That said, for me it comes down to either the 12 gauge or the Glock 21/30. It's 00 buck vs. Fed 230 Hydra-Shoks. We have a upward sloping front yard, which I've always suspected would act as a fantastic backstop for anyone coming up our stairs, so I might could use a rifle if needs must. But I'd really rather not. My neighbor across the street is a really nice guy, and I don't want to launch bullets through his dining room window.

I always recommend a revolver/Glock or a 12 gauge shotgun to people who ask for advice but won't be shooting IDPA with me.This is  because the revolver can be bought, familiarized with, and never used for 20 years and still work. The shotgun is for the bird hunter or skeet and trap guy who wants a simple familiar set up (double or pump is up to them in my book). The Glock is a bit more problematic, as it takes some maintenance and a bit more practice than the revolver, but 15-17 rounds of 9mm can be very comforting.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »
I'm going to come down on the side a revolver as the front-line of home defense for new shooters...simple is simply better. My number one choice (as has been suggested earlier) would be a Ruger .357 GP-100 4-inch, loaded with .38 Special +Ps. Rock solid gun; accurate; easy to shoot. I would definitely include Crimson Trace LaserGrips!

Longgun-wise, a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 pump; load depends on your location. If you're out in the country not close to your neighbors, #00 buckshot, preferably a police loading. If you're in a subdivision, some type of high-brass game shot loads, whihc are not going to penetrate nearly as much as any flavor of buckshot. I live out in the country...I've got Remington #00 Express loads in the "social" shotgun. Next time I buy buckshot, it'll be Hornady TAPS #00 (I used up all the rounds I scammed at GUNSITE a couple of years ago! Maybe I should go suck up to Steve Hornady...).

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

Scott Moore

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 02:06:43 AM »
I think this question is as broad as it is long . . . Experience vs. Rookie, longgun vs. handgun, heavy load vs. light.
Like others have mentioned I believe it’s what you’re comfortable with and what you have trained with. When recommending a handgun for a neophyte who is only willing to do limited training and maintenance I like either a K-frame S&W in .38spl or .357mag with a 4’ or 3” barrel (3” my choice) , or the Ruger GP series (or a good used Speed Six if you can find one). With someone willing to go the whole nine yards, any of the wonder autos in a major caliber.
As far as longguns, my rock-and-roll gun is a tricked out Remington 870, 12ga that I have target-tested, on a B-27 target, at 25 yards with both 00 buckshot and Foster-style slugs. But I don’t recommend this combo for everyone, especially if you’re in a close-in neighborhood. If you’re inclined toward a scattergun and you’re in an area not suited for buckshot or slugs, look at a new age version of the Malaysian Load. This load was developed by the British Commonwealth troops in the 50’s battling the Malaysian uprising. This load used a version of their version of buckshot mixed with a smaller size shot similar to our mid-size shot. This load provided penetration through the jungle cover and the smaller shot gave a good size pattern. While this load is not produced by a current major American manufacturer, there is a load by Remington that would be useful for many home defense applications, the Premier Duplex Magnum Copper-Plated Buffered Turkey Load which features a combo of 1 ½ oz’s of shot sizes 4 & 6. Years ago I believe this was also offered in 2 x 4 or something similar which was even better for home defense.
Now let’s look at the .223’s and .308’s lurking about . . .

Scott M
J. Scott Moore
Columnist - Downrange.tv

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 03:28:40 AM »
My number one choice is my detla elite.  The floor plan of my house is not long gun friendly.  Then again, take what ever you want in the front rooms its all insured, come down the hallway and your dead.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
Like many gun topics, it depends on who you ask. And depending on who you ask.. you will get a different response. Tatical rifles such as AR's can be good because of higher capacities..(more shots if you need them), plenty of firepower to end a threat, and you can literally scare mr. badguy away just by him seeing your weapon. Ammo like Hornady TAP is design for indoor close range shooting. It does not overpentrate through mr.badguy and then shoot through three more houses. It is designed to stop in mr.badguy. So with right ammo a rifle can be great for homedefense. Only draw back is the sound. It is very loud and you probably will have to have some type of hearing protection.. maybe electronic ears muffs that let you hear normal but protect your ears.  Shotguns are/can be good too.. I do personally recommend bird shot indoors b/c at close range it is still devistating. Some buckshot/slugs will over penetrate and could hurt someone in another room etc..  either way the right ammo that doesn't go through lots of walls or down the street through three more houses .. that is what is important. I would choose which one  I felt more comfortable with and then get right ammo. ... **Umm.. there are also many good pistols out there today that have good stopping power, high capacites of shots, and many options for lights and lasers. I believe any one ..a rifle, shotgun, or a pistol can be a great home defense gun if you have the right ammo and if it fits your particular situation.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk