Author Topic: The Little Voice Keeps Saying Iron Sights...  (Read 19402 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Little Voice Keeps Saying Iron Sights...
« on: September 27, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »
I've posted the Creedmoor Sharps video fired with iron sights at 1000+ yds.  That's left for the pros,....

I posted the Quigley reference video which, in reality, IS feasible and been proven, once again , by pros.... :-\

I'm not talking 600+ yd. shots, but something more realistic for the "regular rifle guy".

An iron sight rifle, similar to my 1891 Mauser, 7.65 x 54 with adjustable sights that can consistently make 150-275 yd shots, without going to sniper school.

My Winchester 30-30, like my Mauser, is fine for the 50 to 150 yd. shot. I'm not looking to break records, just make consistent "hits" on a 12" target. out to 250 yds.

Got an itch for something lever action. It is tougher to find, but Henry has some.  Thoughts?

Any other suggestions? That are not Bolt Action?  Marlin, Henry, ? Single Shot, Remington Rolling Block? under several thousand if possible,.. :-\ Uberti?

Kinda like Duvall in Lonesome Dove, making his famous shot with the Henry,..... Reminds me of some here on DRTV...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23UhypY-pUg&feature=related

Thanks. The Little Voice is just getting louder here lately for the iron sights...

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 81
Re: The Little Voice Keeps Saying Iron Sights...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 04:18:36 PM »
I would think old school is what you're looking for, maybe with a modern twist? Something like a modern black powder single shot for the challenge as well as the sights. Sharps might be fun, or even a Kentucky Long Rifle. Or a Hawken buffalo gun? How much of a challenge are you looking for?

Really old school would be flintlock with irons. Really really old school would be matchlock, but then you did make the point of 250 yards - not readily do-able with a matchlock. But how cool lobbing buck and ball from a matchlock, eh?  ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »
You'd be better off with something in single shot if accuracy is the game. If you want it cheaper you can get some surplus rifles for not too much. A Martini--Henry maybe? Or an equivelent rolling block design? Haz would be the go to guy here. The Remington Rolling block is very cool and was quite accurte. A repro would be nice but probably high dollar. I look forward to this thread though.
FQ13

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 04:31:16 PM »
I'd probably go for something like a 45-90 in a target model with tang sights.  WAAAAY COOOL

But this company says a 45-70 is good to 600 yards.

http://www.riflesmith.com/faq.html
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
I'd probably go for something like a 45-90 in a target model with tang sights.  WAAAAY COOOL

But this company says a 45-70 is good to 600 yards.

http://www.riflesmith.com/faq.html
Nice rifles Haz, but at $5700 he can buy a Ruger single shot and hire a darn good looking girl to load it for him. ;D
FQ13
PS in the realm of the sane, try this Martini-Henry at $200
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141229641

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:01:12 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »
For under $1500 you can get a very (very) nice Sharpes replica in 45-70 with sights..  Actually you can get the 45-90 and 45-120, as well as the 50's, but why beat your self up with higher recoil if you don't need to.  I know guys that are using the 45-70 for 500 - 600 all the time, and they say they can do the occasional 1,000 yard match.  They recommend the 70 for most, but if you are consistantly going for 1,000 they say the 90 would be nice ...

Where's grizzle?  I bet he'd have some good in put on this one.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 06:21:50 PM »
Cabelas sells a David Pedersoli made Sharps in .45-70 for about 900 bucks.  No frills but engraving doesn't make it shoot straight or further! 

;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 06:54:53 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7y9vtVG4eY&feature=related

For 250 yards, why not a Savage model 99 lever action in .308 plenty of them around and with their internal rotary magazine they can use any .308 ammo.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/903524491/Guns/Rifles/Savage-Rifles/Model-95-99-Family/SAVAGE_M_99_308_WIN.htm

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 07:16:15 PM »
TW, I guess you've got us chasing our tails here. Me with vintage military rifles, Tom with a Savages. Haz and Timothy with Sharps. Are you looking at vintage cool or just iron sight accuracy? How much do you want to drop and do you reload?
FQ13 who thinks we could be a lot more helpful if we knew this but is still enjoying the thread.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 07:25:49 PM »
A (maybe) bargain Sharps, high bid is $200 but below reserve and its storefront dealer, you can call them and dicker. Auction is almost over though.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=141247293
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk