Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 188512 times)

tombogan03884

Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #790 on: May 16, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »
TAB, I forgot you moved North.
How are you liking THAT .   ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #791 on: May 16, 2020, 04:54:34 PM »
I went to the store yesterday wasn't buying meat, but checked. Prices on beef seemed normal, about half what they went to last month. Chicken was on sale but pork seemed high.
Just because I noticed gas was $1.85   ;D

The three 40# cases of chicken quarters I mentioned a few posts up from here were $22 per case. We got them from the local meat place about two miles from the house.
We got the 125 smoked pork chops for $250 from a different place we use in the town fifteen miles away.....his price was a good bit cheaper (and that where the other guy was going to get them anyway). 
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #792 on: May 16, 2020, 07:16:15 PM »
The three 40# cases of chicken thighs I mentioned a few posts up from here were $22 per case. We got them from the local meat place about two miles from the house.
We got the 125 smoked pork chops for $250 from a different place we use in the town fifteen miles away.....his price was a good bit cheaper (and that where the other guy was going to get them anyway).

Boneless or Bone In?
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #793 on: May 16, 2020, 07:21:42 PM »
Boneless or Bone In?

Bone-in, and I mis-typed when I said thighs...it was quarters (leg/thigh).

Last summer they were 40# boxes for $19. It usually works out to 48 to 50 quarters per box with a few extra legs thrown in to make weight.

Wings are what are ridiculously priced.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #794 on: May 16, 2020, 08:08:45 PM »
I don't get it, in my opinion chicken wings are something that belong in that bag up the birds ass.  ;D
Maybe there's a market for teriyaki turkey necks ?   ;D
Heck, you can just pour Frank's Hot sauce in your hand and leave the bird out completely.   ::)

Sponsor

« Reply #795 on: Today at 11:46:24 AM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #795 on: May 17, 2020, 12:20:51 AM »
TAB, I forgot you moved North.
How are you liking THAT .   ;D
  i am not.  Its not my type of land, but the misses wanted to go back to working on kids and took a 70k a year pay cut to do it.   

Spent most of the day welding up a new gate for the property, the one there is more rust and bailing wire thrn steal.  It keeps me busy.

I also hate having to retrain the local home depot staff.   Had words with a manger this week about getting help loading concrete in my truck.  I told him to look at my receipt  and see my  discount rating... its diamond which means 500k+ last year. And the 3 before that.  I actually spent 700k in one store last year.   I should not have to wait 40 mins to have some one help me load 1200# of concrete  onto a flat bed trailer with a fork lift.   Its like i told him, i am building a house not to far, if you treat me like this do you think i will be back.    They get one more chance then i will go some place else.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #796 on: May 17, 2020, 07:55:53 AM »
Bone-in, and I mis-typed when I said thighs...it was quarters (leg/thigh).

Last summer they were 40# boxes for $19. It usually works out to 48 to 50 quarters per box with a few extra legs thrown in to make weight.

Wings are what are ridiculously priced.

We're not quite sure what is happening in the bird market.  Wings are always hot.  Which size shifts around, but there is always more demand than supply.  We have plenty of stock, but they are beyond spendy.  Bnls Skls Breasts have been crazy hard to get.  I asked Child #2 if we would see a rise in Fryers and WOGS, due to the issues of limited labor and them needing the least handling.  She told me that was probably the next step.  Of course, later that week she got a deal from Tyson on Leg Quarters, and we are selling them crazy cheap.  Friday's inventory showed just over 4,600 boxes in the cooler.

Pork Loins have gotten weird the last couple weeks.  We are getting very limited supplies of cryovac in boxes.  Our block orders that were either full Loins or split with other cuts have been cut back to less than half in some cases.  She has gone to purchasing Combos - Picture your 40# box of leg quarters in a 1,200# version of BI Pork Loins.  I'm seeing that there is also an up tick in BI Butts coming in Combos as well.  What ever it takes!

The good news is that it appears we have reached the tipping point in processing plants.  For every plant that is closing, another is opening back up.  Everything is already scaled down, so we product flow is holding stable.  As I showed earlier, the kill numbers are starting to slowly increase.

The next thing coming down the pipe will be the local Farmers' Markets, and how they are able to adapt to this.  Will states and communities allow them to set up in parking lots and parks to sell their fresh produce.  The couple that I know of are still planing full crops in anticipation that they will have a market this summer.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #797 on: May 17, 2020, 10:03:32 AM »
The Farmer's market here usually starts Memorial Week end with Breads, Wines, and preserves

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #798 on: May 17, 2020, 12:24:19 PM »
We have several local produce suppliers that were having trouble shipping. One of them just a few miles from me shifted gears and got on FB and started taking orders for produce boxes. Each week's box has a variety of fresh vegetables and fruits and they are selling for $20 per box and folks can pre-order from their website.
They are doing an incredible amount of business. I foresee a possible future in this for them.
I would certainly prefer to buy straight from the grower (for items I don't have in my own garden, or stuff that isn't ready to pick from my garden yet).

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #799 on: May 21, 2020, 10:40:07 PM »
I went to the store yesterday wasn't buying meat, but checked. Prices on beef seemed normal, about half what they went to last month. Chicken was on sale but pork seemed high.
Just because I noticed gas was $1.85   ;D

I filled my tank for 44 & 9/10 cents per gallon on the 2nd. I got 24.490 gallons of gas for $11.00. :o 8) That was $1.00 off for using the maximum of 1,000 fuel points at Kroger (for the first time ever) + another 5 cents for paying with my Kroger credit card. I filled my 2 2-gallon gas cans first, and my 5-gallon gas can that's really a water jug I don't use for camping anymore and painted bright red. Then the rest went in my truck. It was full at 23 gallons but I squeezed in almost another dollar's worth, instead of stopping at the next 25 cents like I normally do. I have 111 points left of the 1,111 I started with that are good for another 10 cents/gallon discount until the end of the month, but no intention of using them. I'll wait until next month when I'm getting at least 30 cents/gallon off, 40 if I spend another $33 dollars on groceries this month. And I'm already out of milk and have coupons expiring from Saturday on that I want to use anyway.

The last thing I ate was 2 bratwurst on bread with Cleveland Kraut's Gnar Gnar kraut heaped on. It's spicy & gnarly kraut made of Green Cabbage, Green Bell Peppers, JalapeƱo pepper, Kosher Salt, Leeks, Sriracha (Chili Peppers, Sugar, Vinegar, Salt, Garlic, Chili Extract, Beet Powder), Garlic, Red Chili. I really like it and I couldn't fit half as much "Cleveland kimchi" on my brats if I used buns instead of bread. It's a good thing the 1 pound pouch is self venting because this stuff is still alive and fermenting. It looked like it was going to explode in the fridge before I opened it. The only downside so far has been the odor. When I walk out of the bathroom now I notice how much worse it smells on the outside than the inside. My fridge started smelling like probiotic kraut farts Sunday or Monday, and I didn't open the package until Wednesday. :( That's just the price I have to pay to enjoy it.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk