Author Topic: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?  (Read 188508 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
Re: What's the last thing you ate or are currently eating?
« Reply #1160 on: August 17, 2023, 03:16:33 AM »
Pork and bison jalapeno cheddar bratwurst with sauerkraut on pumpernickel bread. I finally wised up and peeled the skin off before I microwaved it. I just finished the jar of Bavarian style sauerkraut. I haven't been eating it because last week I bought a bunch of chunky cheese bread and horseradish cheese spread. YUMM!!! I already ate 4 loaves of the bread and a 24 ounce tub of cheese spread. I have another tub of horseradish cheese spread and 2 more loaves of chunky cheese bread in the freezer. Earlier today I had a Landjäger sausage to snack on. I'm still not full, so I opened a jar of red cabbage with apples from Germany, and I'm eating some of straight from the jar.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #1161 on: August 19, 2023, 11:53:34 AM »
Now I have some reading to do on dry brining, Thanks a lot for the homework. ;)

Works great on bone-in chicken. Salt it with kosher salt and let rest on a rack in an open pan in the fridge overnight. Makes a good crispy skin when grilling and makes the internal portion of the meat taste better since it hardly ever gets any flavor from regular dry seasoning on the outside.

If you Youtube much, check out a channel called Chuds BBQ (link below). This guy does a little of everything. He had one video of a turkey club sandwich with sides and he made everything from scratch...including the bread.

https://www.youtube.com/@ChudsBbq

I had a salad for lunch yesterday topped with leftover chicken from our favorite chicken joint in town (the day before). Their portions (even for a small order) are huge, so we combined the leftover chicken and diced it for the salads.
Supper was leftover spaghetti from earlier in the week....in which the sauce was leftover out of the freezer from a few weeks ago....  ;D ;D

Today's lunch was a fried bologna sammich and a slice of coconut cake.

We eat cheap this week.  8)  :D :D :D :D
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1162 on: August 23, 2023, 11:51:48 AM »
Moon Pie and a Coke.... (didn't have an RC).

Nothing tastes like it did 40 years ago.....man, I miss the food of my youth.  8)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1448
« Reply #1163 on: August 23, 2023, 12:06:17 PM »

Nothing tastes like it did 40 years ago.....man, I miss the food of my youth.  8)

And they are a LOT smaller now!
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1164 on: August 30, 2023, 05:23:57 PM »
Wife made biscuits with bacon for an after hurricane supper.

Sponsor

« Reply #1165 on: Today at 11:13:35 AM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
« Reply #1165 on: August 30, 2023, 06:31:12 PM »
Dat's what I'm talkin' about...

Wife made biscuits with bacon for an after hurricane supper.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #1166 on: September 03, 2023, 06:55:07 PM »
Today was a rare day.  Slept in till 0500, took care of the pets, made myself some eggs and bacon. Outside of the wake up time, a pretty typical Sunday morning.  However, today our son-in-law had invited me for a 1000 tee time at one of his country clubs, so off I went for a special day with family and friends.

A good round of golf, and then to their house for an early dinner. Inch and a half prime strips on the grill, thick slices of potatoes covered with melted butter, garlic and thyme, wedge salad and great Caymus wine.  Followed by a chocolate coke cake covered with homemade whip cream, and then some Buffalo Trace to top the day off.

Now, I'm just sitting here on the couch, feet up and looking for a good old western, or Cheech and Chong, to watch this evening.  Life is good!
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1167 on: September 09, 2023, 04:20:15 PM »

Chocolate Moon Pie or Banana? If you say Vanilla, we can't be friends anymore. ;) Royal Crown cola is good with Crown Royal whisky. It's called a Royal Crown Royal, and is probably the only way I'll drink a blended Canadian whisky.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1168 on: September 09, 2023, 05:42:55 PM »
I had a big bowl of chicken flavor Sriracha ramen, with a small cup of jasmine minute rice stirred in. After 5 minutes in the microwave the ramen is so hot it has to set a minute to cool off, and the cup of rice takes 1 minute to heat up, so it worked out great. I had to add the rest of a bottle of water and nuke it another minute because I didn't start eating it right away and the rice and noodles absorbed all the liquid. I bought 2 of the big bowls of Sriracha ramen, and I'm going to have the same thing again. But this time I'll put the whole bottle of water in at the beginning, instead of just filling it to the line.

Here's pic of the tater tot casserole I took up north last weekend. I usually don't cook anything, and just eat whatever my friends cook, but when I saw this recipe, I thought it sounded good. IIRC, I used 2.12 or 2.16 pounds of 80/20 ground chuck, instead of 2 pounds of ground beef. I seasoned it with lots of spicy Montreal steak seasoning, and some soul seasoning too. I used 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup instead of 1 can, because they were so small. I used a whole 2 pound bag of tater tots (minus one that rolled across the floor) instead of a small bag. And instead of 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, I loaded it up with smoked cheddar. I never measured it, but it must have been around 3 cups. It's just a layer of meat, a layer of soup, and a layer of tater tots, topped with a layer of cheese. The tater tots that wouldn't fit in a layer went on top. My friend's wife reheated it in the oven and crisped up the taters tots, then served it as a side dish. Everyone liked it, and my friend put the little bit that was left on the grill, chopped into a hash, with breakfast the next morning.

I got the recipe at Williams Cheese store where I bought the cheese. They have other recipes online but not that one. I bought a bunch of trimmings, left over from when they make 8 ounce bars and such. I bought so much cheese on my way home 2 weeks ago that I had 5 or 6 HEAVY bags full. It's a good thing someone came in as I was leaving, and held the door for me. I bought almost 3 pounds of the smoked cheddar, along with bags of cream Havarti, smoked hot pepper cheese, Mozzarella, roasted garlic cheese, Colby Jack, and I don't remember what other trimmings. Plus a bar of Super Smoked Cheddar. That will be too smokey to eat straight. Plus I got more chunky cheese bread and horseradish cheese spread. I'll have some of that later on. I think I got some sharp Pinconning cheese too, which is generally not available anywhere but parts of Michigan and someplace in Wisconsin. Wikipedia says that Wilson's Cheese Shoppe, The Pinconning Cheese Co. & Fudge Shoppe, and The Cheesehouse Cheese Shop, all in Pinconning, MI, Williams Cheese in Linwood, MI, and Carr Valley Cheese in Wisconsin are the only manufacturers. It's a Colby-style cheese that tastes a lot like Colby and Cheddar.

Williams cheese in Linwood, AKA The Happiest Place On Earth ;D has a big cow with a milking stool in front of the store. Wilson's in Pinconning, 6.5 miles north on the same side of the same highway, has a big mouse on the roof of their store, plus another one on a trailer. Too bad I don't have the pictures my ex took of me milking the cow, and ready to drink straight from the teat at Williams Cheese. :) We both LOLed at that.

https://williamscheese.com/recipes/

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #1169 on: September 09, 2023, 08:41:06 PM »
After eating the second bowl of Sriracha ramen and rice, I ate as much eggnog ice cream as I could stand. Someone at Kroger decided it was the right time of year for limited edition eggnog and pumpkin pie ice creams ??? so I bought both.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk