Author Topic: Adventures in Ham Radio  (Read 7906 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Adventures in Ham Radio
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2023, 01:25:31 PM »
Finally,  I'm #100 in the state of GA in VOTA. (Also 5169 worldwide and 3218 in US.) Next goal is to get to #50 in GA.   Just keep making FT-8 contacts.  I added 6 states on 10 meters in the last 2 months which means only 8 to go.  Of course AK is the most elusive on all bands for me.

For $5 I got an old Standard 2m handheld like the one I use to have.  Well cared for, crystal controlled, but no tone sql.  As was in those days ('75) came with 94/94 and 34/94 built in.  Nice nostalgia, but I'll probably dump it, unless someone here wants it for cost of shipping.  Doesn't have the battery box, but takes external power.  Can run off of NiCads or Alkalines.  Don't think the external power charges the batteries though.  Has manual.

Also for $10 got 2 fully functional CBs.  Been wanting car units to put in the cars for emergency use.  But now I need mag mount antennas.  Where are ham fests when you need them.  Wait, I think Huntsville, AL is coming up.  Road trip.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2023, 02:18:07 PM »
I've gotten my consistently best pricing on CB equipment from Copper Electronics.  Here's a Hustler mag mount 41" whip for $25:
https://www.copperelectronics.com/cart/Antennas-Towers/CB-Antennas/Mobile-CB-Antennas/Hustler-IC100B-Mobile-Antenna

Despite all of the huff about 1 kw capacity, super smoker, etc...if you're just running 4 watts all that really matters is the whip length on mag mount cb antenna.  For a little better performance spend some extra $$$'s to get a little longer whip.  The loading coil's sturdiness towards power won't matter for 4 watts...or really 50 or so either.  I really like the Wilson 1000's with the 62" whip...and unless you are running 500 watts or so the Wilson 5000 is money out the door in my estimation.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1447
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2023, 03:18:15 PM »
For years I worked in a CB shop and for the vehicles that had a way to mount it the good ole 109" whip was the absolute best for range. Just an old fashion 1/4 wave. No load coils. The only issue is having space to mount it and then going through drive-throughs is a NO-NO.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2023, 04:04:56 PM »
Rastus, you did see the part where I paid $5 a piece for the radios?  I’ll haunt Goodwill and hamfests for a suitable bargain.  I only want to comm 5 miles up and down the road with truckers in a severe traffic backup.
Will work for ammo

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2023, 07:28:28 PM »
My first radio was a 23 channel Cobra, back in 1973. I had the 109" whip mounted to the box side. After my first experience of taking out a bunch of bulbs in a canopy, I put a clip on the rain gutter to hold the tip.  Still had great range.

I now have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic, in my desk drawer. I put in my truck, and when I transitioned to the desk I let another driver use it. He left the company a few months ago, so I pulled it out for myself again. Need to set it up again.

Not as many truckers have them anymore, but they do come in very handy with the few that still do.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 04:53:27 PM »

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2023, 09:51:51 AM »
Rastus, you did see the part where I paid $5 a piece for the radios?  I’ll haunt Goodwill and hamfests for a suitable bargain.  I only want to comm 5 miles up and down the road with truckers in a severe traffic backup.

Yep....but that road trip is going to take ga$!!  But it is fun.  I hope you find one.  I usually only see the magnetic mounts for K40's or Wilsons...not usually the entire thing in decent shape.  They charge like heck for that magnet mount.

My first radio was a 23 channel Cobra, back in 1973. I had the 109" whip mounted to the box side. After my first experience of taking out a bunch of bulbs in a canopy, I put a clip on the rain gutter to hold the tip.  Still had great range.

I now have a Cobra 29 LTD Classic, in my desk drawer. I put in my truck, and when I transitioned to the desk I let another driver use it. He left the company a few months ago, so I pulled it out for myself again. Need to set it up again.

Not as many truckers have them anymore, but they do come in very handy with the few that still do.

I have a couple of mobile SSB's to do something with as well.  It's been hard to get motivated...the Ford I have is aluminum so I'm thinking I'll just go with a cophase and a couple of stake hole mounts with 4 or 5 foot Wilson Silver Load antennas....if they still make those.  That and a 2M/70CM antenna. 

GMRS is getting really popular.  I have a GMRS license but GMRS doesn't seem to have the road appeal old time CB has.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2023, 04:05:15 AM »
I remember the old 23 channel CB my dad had in a magnetic mount. It had 3 big contact strips and he just slapped it in place on the bottom of the dash, right above the transmission hump in his pickup truck. When he came home he could yank it out and take it in the house so no one would break into the truck and take it. Can you imagine anyone breaking into a car to steal a CB now? Especially one that only got 23 channels? Maybe to sell it to a museum. ;) Of course they went up to 40 channels after he bought his CB. It was almost obsolete when it was brand new. My mom and dad had a big pair of walkie-talkies that were only channel 11, and when they bought a cheap little pair for me and my younger brother they were only channel 14. Well, that didn't work out right, did it? I still have mine but I don't know if it still works after 45+ years. It's a K-mart brand that wasn't very good to start with.

Keep hamming it up, Alf!
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2023, 07:12:25 PM »
[quoteI still have mine but I don't know if it still works after 45+ years.][/quote]

As Hawkeye said to Burns, you realize you need two of those.  Someone has to be on the other end.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2023, 04:18:04 AM »
[quoteI still have mine but I don't know if it still works after 45+ years.]

As Hawkeye said to Burns, you realize you need two of those.  Someone has to be on the other end.

Yep. Just like ham radio, but it only has one channel.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2023, 05:06:51 PM »
Progress.  I'm now below #70.   10 contacts a day.  Hopefully average 500+ points a week.

Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk