Author Topic: Adventures in Ham Radio  (Read 7828 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 567
Re: Adventures in Ham Radio
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 08:30:06 PM »

https://www.amazon.com/%E3%80%90Upgraded%E3%80%91AURSINC-Analyzer-Measuring-Parameters-Standing/dp/B07Z5VY7B6/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=NanoVNA&m=A3KC9Z86M9XWS3&qid=1649116043&s=merchant-items&sr=1-2

I have an MFJ antenna analyzer but it stops at 460 MHz and with GMRS I need to tune 3 antennas shortly at 460-470 MHz.  So, a friend turned me onto this dirt cheap analyzer.  He said it's better than the Rig Expert he bought several years ago and lot less that $600. I should have it to evaluate by the weekend.

I have only his recommendations for now.  I'll know for myself shortly.  You guys may be interested in one.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1423
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2022, 08:44:57 AM »
I bought one a few months ago but have not yet had time to test it out. You will need to get the documentation from the web as it does not have any when you receive it.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »
Rip that sucker out and tell us how it works!

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1423
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2022, 11:54:58 AM »
ASAP. The only thing is I still work and between that, honey doo's, and landscaping chores I don't have time. EVERYTHING I have read just raves about it though.
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2022, 01:55:07 PM »
ASAP. The only thing is I still work and between that, honey doo's, and landscaping chores I don't have time. EVERYTHING I have read just raves about it though.

I feel your pain.  I work...though I think I am supposed to be retired.  I have an AnyTone 5888 (Yaesu knock off) to program and put in the tractor for GMRS and 2 meter work.  When I can get to it....maybe 5-6 weeks...I'll be using the new analyzer and comparing the 2M results with the MFJ.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:26:31 AM »

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2022, 07:08:28 AM »
I did find time to make it to the Green Country Hamfest.  I was looking for a rotor that would handle ~9 sq ft for the Force 12 C-3E.  What I ended up with was a reman Ham IV which is good to 15 sq ft for $500 including the delay braking controller. 

Whilst I was perusing the wares of an out-of-state vendor he asked what I was looking for.  He didn't have rotors but highly recommended Fred who lives only a few miles from me.  It seems he has built quite a reputation for rotor repair.  What I have was disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, bead blasted and coated.  When I get it up...sometime this year I hope...I'll give you guys an update.  That was some serious savings.

A year...yeah.  I need to put up a tower.  A friend has given me his ~65 ft crank up since he'll never put it up in the city where he lives.  Now I need to go get it...

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2022, 06:49:36 AM »
Alf, have you tried digital on 160M?  I had an old ham tell me you can get through across the world 24-7 day and night on 160.  I find that difficult to believe but maybe so…

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2022, 01:19:27 PM »
Rastus:  No I haven't tried.  I'd need to put up some long-g-g-g-g wire.  But I'll keep it in mind.

Sort of spring doldrums around here.  I did get this celebrating WSB radio's 100th anniversary. 

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2022, 08:42:51 PM »
Nice.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 453
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2022, 03:41:35 PM »
Milestone today.   1,000 QSLs all on LOTW (That's Logbook Of The World, an online contact logging system).

I'm running about 80% of contacts once you remove the ones in error.  LOTW doesn't allow deletions, they just stay in the db forever.

-Doubled my score in Field Day as a base station over last year.  From 6 to 12 contacts!  Yippie.  Not my thing obviously.

-Clean Sweep in the 13 Colonies contest over 7/4.  Plus I got the William Penn station.  And while I was chasing those 13 stations:

Tried out FT-4 and really like it.  Twice as fast but of course 2x the band width.   Programed memories for the FT-4 frequencies.  Will try to go that mode every now and then. 

Saw some 17m, 18Mhz, reports on DX Summit and decided that even if my vertical isn't tuned for 17m I'd give it a try.  Well several stations were coming in quite strongly and I gave the a shout.  Despite the 4+x1 SWR I still made the contact.  So while 17m doesn't count for 5Band WAS it does get an endorsement.  I may have to figure something out antenna-wise for it.

Really like DX Summit.  Couldn't have made the 13 Colonies without it.   

-Still hunting that elusive South Carolina on 15m.  Worked two stations but they don't LOTW so no joy.   Can see stations on GridTracker but can't actually hear them.  Eventually I'll nail that one.  Or who know maybe the 13 Colony station will upload their contacts.

That's it from here.  73, Alf

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk