Author Topic: Pocket Carrying a J Frame in a Business Suit  (Read 11627 times)

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pocket Carrying a J Frame in a Business Suit
« on: February 22, 2008, 04:49:49 PM »
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good pocket holster for use in loose fitting business suit pants.  I have a Mika round cut as well as a Simply Rugged Pocket Protector, but both are a bit wide and lack a retention element that you get with a properly boned holster.  Both are better suited for a jeans or cargo pants pocket.

Michael I know you are fond of Pocket Concealment System (PCS) pocket holsters and am leaning in that direction, or perhaps a Kramer, but am wondering if either would be a good choice for a suit pocket.  Also, if the PCS holster makes sense, which model would work best in a suit pants (there are several).  The J frames used would be an Airweight and possibly a steel frame that weighs in about 20 ounces.

Thanks
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 889
Re: Pocket Carrying a J Frame in a Business Suit
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »
I use an Uncle Mike's sidekick size 0 (actually an IWB, but works well in the pocket), and it works well in the pocket of suit pants and other dress pants.  It also works well in suit coat and sport coat pockets.  I would like to try a leather Galco, but can't find them in the local gun shop.  I'm like to try before I buy (enough boxes of holsters already), so am not real fond of ordering something I'll get stuck with. 

I have trimmed the Sidekick a little to match my grip.  I have a hammerless Airweight, and I have found that if I put my thumb where the hammer would be, my trigger finger in along side the trigger and guard (not in the guard), and my other three fingers around the grip (I use the wood grip, because I found the Houge and Crimson Trace snagged on my pocket), it comes out easy and very little other hand movement before shooting.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:53:03 PM »
Good information.  Do ya'll have any guidance on briefcases made to carry (direct access without opening it up)?

I'm carrying a Taurus titanium snubbie (among other things) due to light weight but would like to carry something with a bit more capacity (like my SR9 or Five SeveN)...hence the need for off-body concealment for work.

Thanks,
Ken
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 889
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:38:09 PM »
I've looked at, but never tried, off body carry.  I can't get excited about needing to hang onto something all the time.  I don't like the idea of setting a briefcase, portfolio or day planner down (even at arms reach) that has a cocked and locked handgun in it. 

I can carry my 1911 and my XD under my suit coat, I have total control of them, and no one knows they are there.  The J frame in the pocket is great when you think you may need to take the coat off in public.  But the idea of sitting at a business lunch and needing to go to the salad bar or another table for some reason, and needing to take the case with me every step (like a lady with a purse - apologies to Marshallette) just doesn't excite me.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:02:41 PM »
I have one of these ordered for my S&W 342Ti revolver. It has NO retention however.

http://www.bearclawholsters.com/holsters/insidejob.aspx
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:19:09 AM »

Teresa Heilevang

• The "Other Halloway"
  • Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Don't make me call the flying monkeys! DRTV Ranger
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 01:26:16 AM »
  But the idea of sitting at a business lunch and needing to go to the salad bar or another table for some reason, and needing to take the case with me every step (like a lady with a purse - apologies to Marshallette) just doesn't excite me.

No apology necessary.. Because that is JUST what I was thinking as I was reading this post.
 I will be getting my carry gun around April or May.. and I am really wondering how in the world
 I am going to carry that in tight blue jeans or capri jeans etc.. I HATE to carry a purse with me everywhere I go..
and I don't like the idea of having to fumble around in a purse for the gun if I need it in a hurry.
So?  I'm serious!
 What's a woman to do?
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History ! "

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 06:22:30 AM »
Marshal'ette, why don't you try open carry?  I don't think many people would notice.

As to the original post...check out Dillon.  They advertise the DeSantis Nemesis ($15) pocket holster.
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »
What's a woman to do?

I've found you have to change how you normally dress if you want to carry a gun concealed all the time. I pocket carry a J-frame all day every day, at work (against policy), at home...always (except in the shower  ;D ).

We wear business casual at work. Dockers for most folks. The pockets are deep enough but the opening requires me to pull the gun UP then BACK to get it out. My normal jeans (pick any name brand) the pockets are too small to get a good grip before pulling the gun.

I finally found a pair of carpenter jeans [I have always disliked the look of carpenter jeans including that hammer loop] which suit my needs, large pockets allowing a good grip on the gun with an opening allowing a proper UP pull to extract the gun.

My work place likes everyone to contribute to charity and thus we can "buy" jean days. Nervana!

I don't like my jeans (I removed the hammer loop) but they allow me to carry every place I wish to go.

Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 11:00:54 AM »
I've looked at, but never tried, off body carry.  I can't get excited about needing to hang onto something all the time.  I don't like the idea of setting a briefcase, portfolio or day planner down (even at arms reach) that has a cocked and locked handgun in it. 

I can carry my 1911 and my XD under my suit coat, I have total control of them, and no one knows they are there.  The J frame in the pocket is great when you think you may need to take the coat off in public.  But the idea of sitting at a business lunch and needing to go to the salad bar or another table for some reason, and needing to take the case with me every step (like a lady with a purse - apologies to Marshallette) just doesn't excite me.

I always remove my coat at work...except for a presentation but most of the time we're business casual.  We're also eyed by guards in-out of the elevator system so I can't carry one of the larger guns I like in the summer with biz casual.  They would also recognize the snubbie in the pocket, hence the desire for off-body carry to get in and out. 

The good thing is, if my employer catches me in this state with concealed carry at work, the only penalty is looking for another job there are no charges that can be made unless I decline to leave the premises (trespass) if asked to leave.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 11:30:37 AM »
Someone on the S&W forum posted a link to this holster.......it says for rear pocket carry of J frames and the like, but have a look at the demonstration of the draw video after looking at the holster.  I'm thinking this could be a very effective holster for front pocket carry as well.  This is a unique design with a leather flap that expands.  You simply place your hand between the revolver and the flap and draw.  Does anyone see any reason why this holster wouldn't work equally as well for front pocket carry as well as rear pocket carry.

Here's the link......

http://www.pocketholsters.com/S_W_Taurus_Rossi__Pockert_Wall/s_w_taurus_rossi__pockert_wall.html
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk