Author Topic: OBTAING A CCW PERMIT IN ERIE COUNTY PA - BEST CCW WEAPON FOR DISABLED PERSON  (Read 21702 times)

dsawi52695

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi Everyone:

I do not have a CCW Permit yet.  I expect to be relocating to Edinboro PA in the next few months or so.  I was wondering if someone could explain the process of getting a CCW Permit in Erie County PA.  Is it a long drawn out process?

I am disabled and use a motorized wheelchair to get around. I would like to get a pistol for Conceal Carry and Home Defense.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.  I am sure there will be several different opinions.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Do you have the hand strenght/dexterity to cycle a pistol?

The reason why I ask, is if you don't, you may want to look into a revolver.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

Like TAB indicates your specific impairments may limit your choices, for example, as TAB stated limited hand strength might rule out a semi auto, an inability to handle recoil might limit your choices of caliber. You would be best off to find a local gun store that rents guns, or a shooter who will let you try a variety of them, These folks will all have advice for you, listen to what they have to tell you then pick the fire arm you are the most comfortable shooting, If that's a .45 acp, or .357 Magnum fine, but remember that a .22 that you can use and will have with you AT ALL TIMES is more effective for your defense than a larger, more effective caliber that you are afraid to shoot because it inflicts pain on you.
Also, get professional training, NRA offers SD classes,as do many Police dept.s. Call for details as some offer loaner guns (another chance to try different stuff) many require you to use your own weapon.
As to requirements for a CCW in your state, I can't help you but I'm sure some one else will be able to post it for you.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
MB has stated often - check with a local lawyer before doing anything, find out the laws, the "willingness" of the local police to support or hinder you.

Looks like PA is a "may" issue state, not a shall issue state. I found this on the PA State Police web site at http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/browse.asp?a=15&bc=0&c=70426:

"The sheriff has 45 days to conduct an investigation to determine an individual's eligibility to be issued a license.  Included in the investigation is a background check conducted on the individual through the Pennsylvania Instant Check System (PICS) to determine if the records indicate the individual is prohibited by law. In accordance with 18 PA C.S. ยง6109, a sheriff may deny an individual the right to a License to Carry Firearms if there is reason to believe that the character and reputation of the individual are such that they would be likely to act in a manner dangerous to public safety.

If the PICS check is approved and the subject is of good character, the sheriff may (Pathfinder: emphasis mine) issue a License to Carry Firearms.   The issuance of a License to Carry Firearms allows individuals to carry a firearm concealed on or about their person, or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.  The license is valid for a period of five (5) years unless sooner revoked."

Good luck.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

PoorSoulInJersey

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
Hi Everyone:

I do not have a CCW Permit yet.  I expect to be relocating to Edinboro PA in the next few months or so.  I was wondering if someone could explain the process of getting a CCW Permit in Erie County PA.  Is it a long drawn out process?

iI am disabled and use a motorized wheelchair to get around. I would like to get a pistol for Conceal Carry and Home Defense.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated.  I am sure there will be several different opinions.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

When I lived in Erie (the city, not the county), it was just a matter of filling out the form, dropping it off at the courthouse, and then waiting for it to come in the mail (I think it was about a month or so).

That was about ten years ago, so it may have changed, but PA in general is a pretty easy state to get a CCW in. (Philly is much more hassle, just because you had to wait in the city office for it, but still pretty easy).
-Tom

Sponsor

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
David,

The fact that you are in a wheelchair does not have any automatic effect on the advice I normally give out in regard to selecting a defensive firearm:

1. Find a gun you can shoot well. If you can get to a range with several to rent/loan or go with a friend with a varied selction, that is best. I suggest starting with double action revolvers (per the posts above) or a DOA or Striker fired semi auto.

2. Make sure that the model is one that you can carry comfortably and conveniently. Some students I have had in wheelchairs have found this to almost be a non-issue, as the weight of the gun is carried by the chair and the size is hidden by the same.

3. Choose the caliber of the model that you can shoot an will carry based on the your choice of compromises between capacity, recoil and downrange energy.

-RJP

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Rob is right on the money..... I think in your case the biggest factor is going to be the means by which you carry concealed..... you need to really do some thinking about how exactly you are going to be doing that before you make your decision...... try to find out from others in your situation how they go about concealed carry and any advice that they have for you.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
David,

Centre (sp) County PA. allows out of state residents to apply for their CCW by mail.  I got mine in Erie in person the first time but renewed by mail after getting the application off the computer.  Erie takes your picture whereas Centre doesn't require it.  The process in Erie only took about 1 1/2 hours if that.  As a PA. resident it should be easy.  I see no reason why you should have any problem.

Hope this helps.

Richard

PS:  FWIW Florida and New Hampshire non-resident permits are easy to get also.  I printed the NH application off the internet and sent for Fla.  NH is $15 unless they raised it and Fla is $125 UTRI.  Having these allows CC in many additional states if you travel
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
David,

The process was pretty painless back in 2000 for a PA CCW. The sheriff has to show cause why he didn't issue a permit and if you haven't been the center of attention of your local police department on occasion you should be good to go.

Try and find a place that teaches a basic class on the use of deadly force in PA. The same folks may offer a basic concealed carry class.  PA does not mandate training but you would be well served to learn the law if you are going to carry.

Good luck and try not to freeze solid in Edinboro. That's one cold place.

Ratcatcher 55

dsawi52695

• Forum Member
  • Liked:

Hi Everyome:

All of the responses that I have received are greatly appreciated, thank you.  My weapon of chioce would probably be the Ruger SP101 chambered in .327 Federal.  If not that particular weapon, something along those lines.  unless someone here tells me different.

Thank you again for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk