Author Topic: I wont say I can not defend myself?  (Read 11117 times)

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I wont say I can not defend myself?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 11:17:22 AM »
I strongly urge you to sit down with a local attorney who specializes in or has handled self-defense cases. We often think we know the law, but in reality we have a crazy quilt of what we've heard, what we've read what we've seen on television and the movies, what the guys at the gun club say, etc.

You need specific legal guidelines because of your back injuries...everyone's definition of the "gravest extreme," the point at which you can use lethal force to protect yourself or others, is different (as court cases have repeatedly shown).

Michael B

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

TheBowhunter

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 02:45:48 PM »
Thank you all for your input here I am seeing an attorney tomorrow for other things and I can ask her that question and maybe she can refer Me to someone for this answer.
 I will post what my locals say here. Maybe this could be a subject to air on  the program to help others here as well with similar problems
Thanks all

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 04:09:26 PM »
I have a very badly damaged leg from being crushed while in the military. I couldn't walk for a year and finally I got a  Disabled Parking Placard so I could get the disabled rate for the train that I used to take to work ($30 vs 160). After reading the fine print I found some really interesting things, like I don't have to feed the parking meters and I can park in spots for longer than the posted times. Needless to say, I have not paid for parking in 5 years. ;) But I degress;

Since I am "disabled" (I cannot run), I consider any incident that I cannot talk my way out of as me backed into a corner. If I felt that someone was going to harm me, my wife or children and I could not back away safely. I would be able to consider using force. (Now before anyone jumps all over this, Force is the LAST resort after trying all other things) Since I can't flee without being caught by even the most out of shape 2nd grader, fleeing (anything more than walking backwards) is not factored in to the equation in my mind. Keep in mind that I once told a guy that his girlfreind could kick my butt so I could avoid a fight.

A guy got out of his car that was in front of mine and hit me in the face at a stoplight. I tailed him till the cops arrived and he got charged with assault and went to jail. His lawyer called me up wanting my side of the story and I told him what happened (Road rage 18yr old kid) He asked me if I got out of my car and I said "No, truthfully it would have been hard because I am disabled"

Silence...

"Do you have a parking thing or plates?" "yes." "okay, was it up at the time?" "I think so...but I am not sure. If you need me to testify in court I will be more than happy to come in" "No, that won't be needed, thank you for your time"

I bet if you got in a situation that you had to use force and they found out you were disabled, they would not try to railroad you, if they did you could always call the ADA. The kid got a lesser assault charge.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
I have a very badly damaged leg from being crushed while in the military. I couldn't walk for a year and finally I got a  Disabled Parking Placard so I could get the disabled rate for the train that I used to take to work ($30 vs 160). After reading the fine print I found some really interesting things, like I don't have to feed the parking meters and I can park in spots for longer than the posted times. Needless to say, I have not paid for parking in 5 years. ;) But I degress;

Since I am "disabled" (I cannot run), I consider any incident that I cannot talk my way out of as me backed into a corner. If I felt that someone was going to harm me, my wife or children and I could not back away safely. I would be able to consider using force. (Now before anyone jumps all over this, Force is the LAST resort after trying all other things) Since I can't flee without being caught by even the most out of shape 2nd grader, fleeing (anything more than walking backwards) is not factored in to the equation in my mind. Keep in mind that I once told a guy that his girlfreind could kick my butt so I could avoid a fight.

A guy got out of his car that was in front of mine and hit me in the face at a stoplight. I tailed him till the cops arrived and he got charged with assault and went to jail. His lawyer called me up wanting my side of the story and I told him what happened (Road rage 18yr old kid) He asked me if I got out of my car and I said "No, truthfully it would have been hard because I am disabled"

Silence...

"Do you have a parking thing or plates?" "yes." "okay, was it up at the time?" "I think so...but I am not sure. If you need me to testify in court I will be more than happy to come in" "No, that won't be needed, thank you for your time"

I bet if you got in a situation that you had to use force and they found out you were disabled, they would not try to railroad you, if they did you could always call the ADA. The kid got a lesser assault charge.

I hear you. I'm in the same boat. I can't run so I have a whole different set of 'rules' to play by. If I'm lucky I can hide behind something big (can't squat or kneel either, left knee doesn't bend more than 30 degrees).
Basically, if I can't weasel my way out of a bad situation, and if the SHTF, I got to root in one spot and fight it out.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

devzal

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »
When there is a legal concern always seek an attorney's advice. God forbid you ever have to use force, but if it happens you should have a lawyer present during questioning, even if you did everything right. The combination of adrenalin, fear, and relief will cause a lot of things to come out of your mouth. An experienced law enforcement officer understands this, but the time waiting to make a statement other than you feared for your life will let you calm down a bit and think more reasonably. You will be at the police station all night anyway. Also talk with a physical therapist, you are most likely familiar with one, they may help you train your back or help you prepare for physical training.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:25:25 AM »

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:13 PM »
When there is a legal concern always seek an attorney's advice. God forbid you ever have to use force, but if it happens you should have a lawyer present during questioning, even if you did everything right. The combination of adrenalin, fear, and relief will cause a lot of things to come out of your mouth. An experienced law enforcement officer understands this, but the time waiting to make a statement other than you feared for your life will let you calm down a bit and think more reasonably. You will be at the police station all night anyway. Also talk with a physical therapist, you are most likely familiar with one, they may help you train your back or help you prepare for physical training.

A very good point.

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 11:56:52 PM »
NEVER talk to police without a lawyer present, it's what they get paid for. Both the cop and the lawyer have been to school to learn how to deal with these matters, you have not.
There was a thread with a great 45 min. video a while back.

Jim Urban

• Top Forum Member
  • Stay Frosty-Stay Safe
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 06:27:25 PM »

Here's the link to the video Tom was referring to. http://www.regent.edu/admin/media/schlaw/LawPreview/
S&W 340PD....I Won't Leave Home Without It.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 01:10:06 PM »
Okay, guys... this one's wandering off-course a bit......  Search the forum for the threads on legal issues. Opinions vary.

Bowhunter:  The answer is to get out there and train. Any instructor worth the title is going to accommodate your physical limitations and try to help you become safer.

-RJP

TheBowhunter

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 09:39:35 AM »
OK here is a quick debriefing I have spoke to my Attorney , I’m  glade I did to she also has a CCW permit and has looked into some of Kansas’s laws anyhow  this is the information she relayed to me about this problem with my neighbor. then we will close this Topic.
My Attorney stated this situation with neighbor and other situation may differ after looking at his record :
He has been arrested four times for Battery of spouse
One time for child abuse.
Three time for disorderly conduct.
Had Five complaint called in for threat of bodily harm. (By ME).
Five DUI and two were resisting arrest.
All this within a three years , I also know he does drugs you smell it very strong on him and he is very paranoid person as well.
She said she could proof it as justifiable self defense. with his record and show she   could get plenty of neighbors and friends as character witness’s on my behalf. I guess that will cover this 
She said she could show it justifiable. But I still am going to take a class on Close quarters combat course to help me and my wife. I need it and I need to work  strengthen  my back muscles.
Thank all for your in put

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk