Author Topic: I wont say I can not defend myself?  (Read 11158 times)

TheBowhunter

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I wont say I can not defend myself?
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:19:13 PM »
I wont say I can not defend myself? In some the situation deadly force may be to extreme. and verbally or fleeing is not going work. Physical force is needed!  I will not say I can not handle the situation but would be better off twenty years ago before I broke my Back five times. The last one I consider myself lucky to be here and walking after falling fifteen feet.
 I do try to be active my Wife and I walk three to four miles every night, I do exercise, I keep active working as a school crossing guard and I shoot my Bows almost every other day.
 my concern  is will my back hold up without wearing my back brace. I Know I need some special training to handle force on force situation if I do need to  protect myself and family besides the use of deadly force.

I need to know where I can get training to help me with my back situation!

TheBowhunter

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: I wont say I can not defend myself?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:52:24 PM »
OH I might add here as well I have taken the CCW class and now waiting my clearance to be approved  here in about three weeks?
I have been shooting guns since about 11 years old  so that is no problem. I know I will get it I have never been in trouble and have received four honorable discharges for the Army after enlisting several time the last being before Desert storm after which I received a medical. 

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 05:13:14 PM »
BowHunter, I can't really help you with the training question but, I wanted to say "Welcome aboard" to a fellow Kansan. (Even if you are in purple kitty country.  ;)
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »
Bowhunter, are you looking to rehab your back? Or do you need special training because of your back?

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

TheBowhunter

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »
no not rehab I am looking for a way to defend my self
need to find a good way to move  and hand to hand help I quess you can say I am looking for a good hand to hand, self defense class that will help me from being a casualty after

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:41:27 AM »

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »
Bowhunter, If I may be blunt, why are you concerned about non-lethal force? 

I am not an attorney, I don't play one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express.  Seriously, from what I understand of your injuries, it seems you are in danger of serious physical injury, or death if you try to engage almost anyone in a physical confrontation.  Anyone who would assault you is a serious threat and should be dealt with appropriately.   When it comes to fighting for your life, or the life of your bride, anything goes.  There is no such thing as a "fair fight."  Either you win and live, or you lose and die, or your loved one dies. 

In virtually every state, laws are on the books and court rulings support the concept that a person who is more vulnerable than others because of a physical disability, or condition, or advanced age, etc. are justified in using deadly force if they reasonably  believe their life is in danger.   Is it reasonable to expect a 70 year old woman in a wheel chair to physically fight an able bodied young attacker?  No.  Same thing applies to someone such as you describe yourself. 

In researching officer involved shootings several years ago, I found a couple of cases where police officers were attacked by an unarmed, but physically larger and stronger assailant.  In both cases the officer found himself and herself being choked to the point of losing consciousness, when they were able to use their firearms to survive.  Good shootings in both cases.  You don't have to take it, whatever IT is.  You don't have to joust with someone who seriously wants to hurt you. 

You are legally justified in using deadly force under certain circumstances.  If you have a moral or ethical concern, may I suggest you seek the services of a professional counselor, or member of the clergy for spiritual guidance? 

Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

TheBowhunter

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 05:29:04 PM »
Its not that I am afraid use of lethal force. The deal is I have called LEO on neighbor for threat to Kill me and if I use Deadly force on him I would be the one in Jail.
yeah I might be protecting myself nut the fine line is I have had to call on him before>

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »
Talk to a local attorney. Get the facts on local laws and your options under them.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 585
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 05:48:23 AM »
Don't let the threat of breaking the law lead you down a lifetime path of regret.  Burying a spouse or a child or even being confined to a wheelchair for life makes the choice terrible, but accepatable for me.

Some things are worth going to prison or dying for.

Something for all to ponder.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »
Bowhunter,

I have been thinking about this and I definitely applaud you for two things:

1. Realizing that the gun is not always gun to be the answer. WAY too many people think just because they have a gun they are safe. I would say that 75% of my students would be overwhelmed by a determined attacker a close range before they ever got to their gun.

2. Still being interested in your responsibility for defense despite your health issues.

That said, you are obviously working from a deficit. It is counter-intuitive, but still true, that those with the most serious physical problems are the ones who ned the most close quarters training. A 24 year old SEAL is much more likely to be able to use awareness and athleticism to be able to get to a CCW pistol than a 63 year old overweight car salesman. I'm much more likely to have the young guy in an Extreme Close Quarters Tactics course, but Wilford Brimley is the guy who really needs the skills more. Both Mike Janich an I would welcome you into any of our courses, but you might also consider attending training offered by Shivworks, http://www.shivworks.com/tutorials.asps. At this time I do not have any ECQT courses scheduled for civilian students, though we are looking into some options to have my Regional Reps start hosting the courses later in the year. Meanwhile, I know that Shivworks would welcome you into a course and give you some great training. I trained with him last year and there were a variety of body types and athleticisms represented, including one wheelchair bound participant.

At the end of the day, of course, no one is going to work magic. If you can't use your core strength and torso to generate force, maintain balance and otherwise keep your opponent from hurting and controlling you, that is a fact of life you will have to accept. Well Rounded Close Quarters fighting training, including knife and pistol work, are available from a variety of sources. Good Luck.

-RJP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk