Author Topic: Customer tackles bank robber  (Read 7885 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 890
Re: Customer tackles bank robber
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 08:10:18 AM »
FQ,

It is about more than bank money.  I read your thoughts as being the old "boys will be boys" idea of street racing and vandalism.  At some point all citizens need to say enough is enough, and this behavior is not acceptable!

Watch the video.  This customer took a very calculated high percentage approach at the robber.  Sure there is risk in this, but there is risk in doing nothing as well.  The female customer ... I believe she could build a case for assisting in the take down without going overboard.  A struggling bad guy in the arms of a good guy, and she gives him one kick to the upper body or head.  Bad guy settles down, and she does not continue to kick.

Money is insured ... Sure it is, but what is it insured with?  Even though banks pay premium it is all still your and my money.  This is a public "insurance" (translate as poorly funded and tax dollars).

I'm not for us all becoming wanna be cops, but we need to take responsibility for our society or we will lose it.  I don't want to give it away in a time when too many are trying to take it away from us.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »
FQ,

It is about more than bank money.  I read your thoughts as being the old "boys will be boys" idea of street racing and vandalism.  At some point all citizens need to say enough is enough, and this behavior is not acceptable!

You be reading it wrong. Its about self defense and threat assesment. If I or someonelse is danger I will physically intervene. If not, I will not risk life and freedom in a case where it is not necessary. I will yell at a robber runing from your unoccupied house and write down his plate number and call the PD, I'm not going to tackle him or shoot him. Same if it was my house. At the bank, If I felt threatend yeah, if the guy seemed like he just wanted the money and a clear shot at the door that's a different story. You need to remember as well the law is not necessarily on your side. If you intervene and a third party is injured, you could be facing civil and criminal liability.
FQ13

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
Did the robber even have a gun?
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 09:45:45 AM »
 While I see m58's point, and agree that we do indeed need to take responsibility for our society, but in this case I have to agree with FQ, stuff can be replaced, lives can not.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 890
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »
I can't take it anymore ... Tom, you usually research and catch this stuff:

Did anyone else bother to read the news story  ???

http://www.wisn.com/cnn-news/20926585/detail.html

Does it change anything that the woman doing business while this man is waiting, and eating popcorn, is the man's wife?  Does it change anything that she is in the area where the bandit is pacing?

If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:14:56 PM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »

Does it change anything that the woman doing business while this man is waiting, and eating popcorn, is the man's wife?  Does it change anything that she is in the area where the bandit is pacing?

Thats why he said he acted...... He said he was in fear for his wife's life.

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 10:51:27 AM »

I don't think so, He doesn't really seem to be paying attention to anyone but the three tellers, (or the good guy would not have been able to get so close ) so his wife doesn't SEEM to be in any immanent danger. Had I been there I may have had a different take on the situation.
While I was living in Ca. there was a robbery at a SF bank of America, where a "Good Samaritan" jumped the robber. The robber got away with his money anyway and the good guy died from a .357 to the head. The robber was arrested a week later because some one turned him in for the reward.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 10:55:49 AM »
I don't think so, He doesn't really seem to be paying attention to anyone but the three tellers, (or the good guy would not have been able to get so close ) so his wife doesn't SEEM to be in any immanent danger. Had I been there I may have had a different take on the situation.
While I was living in Ca. there was a robbery at a SF bank of America, where a "Good Samaritan" jumped the robber. The robber got away with his money anyway and the good guy died from a .357 to the head. The robber was arrested a week later because some one turned him in for the reward.

Video report I saw quoted the man as saying he was worried about his wife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5V7h3q2jHM&feature=channel

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
I video report I saw quoted the man as saying he was worried about his wife

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5V7h3q2jHM&feature=channel

Didn't mean to contradict you Eric, I quoted the wrong post. I fixed it now so it makes sense  ;D

John McCreery

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »
I think it is one of the highest conviction rates only second to murder?

It's one of the easiest crimes to get away with, tellers ususally don't resist.  Very low conviction rate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk