Author Topic: Home Defense with Taurus Judge  (Read 30212 times)

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Home Defense with Taurus Judge
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2008, 12:12:54 AM »
Bold and caps inside also could mean added emphasis.

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 12:56:56 AM »
From Farnham:

Taurus 4510

08 Mar 08

Shotgun/revolver:

Taurus is currently marketing their M4510, five-shot revolver. In their booth at the SHOT Show, Taurus showed us a video touting this gun as being designed specifically for use in preventing car-jackings. It is a big, heavy pistol, and reloading is slow. Comfortable, concealed carry is possible only for the biggest among us.

The revolver chambers and fires both 45 Colt ("Long-Colt") and 410 shotgun cartridges, however 410 shotgun shells are limited to the shortest made, 2.5 inches. In the promotional video, 410 birdshot was, not surprisingly, demonstrated on a "Shoot-n-See" paper target that is designed to make each pellet impact look much bigger than it actually is. The pistol's rifled bore aggravates the spread of the shot pattern. Even at a range of four feet, the birdshot pattern in the demonstration had already attained a diameter of eight inches.

As I watched, it occurred to me that, as a single-purpose "snake-gun," this revolver would be second to none!

I know of no actual shootings with this revolver on human criminals. However, a friend in OK just used his copy to dispatch a large skunk at a range of ten feet. He used #8 birdshot. The task required three hits, but the unimpressed skunk was far from DRT. He slowly waddled off, crawled into abush, and eventually died.

I can't imagine any size of birdshot, particularly from a short barrel, being an effective fight-stopper. However, loaded with 45 Colt, or 410 slugs or buckshot, I believe this revolver is at least arguable as a "car-gun." 410 slugs are available, as is 410/000bk (three pellets). My personal choice would be 000bk!

In a real fight, that one can use this revolver, or any gun, effectively, via any species of unaimed, "spray" technique, is little more than self-deception. To be effective in a life-threatening circumstance, shots from any kind of firearm must be aimed precisely by a competent Operator.

Just as cars that "drive themselves" are currently unavailable, guns that are effective in the hands of the untrained and willfully incompetent exist only in the minds of the naive.

/John

I guess 000bk WOULD work.

Weston Whitten

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2009, 08:39:33 PM »
I think this would make a really nice side arm for the ranch or farm.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2009, 03:14:08 AM »
I think this would make a really nice side arm for the ranch or farm.

Alternatively, a great anchor for a canoe. ;D Anyway its just a matter of taste, and it could be a fun little gun to fool around with. Before you buy it for self defense though I BEG you to go to www.theboxotruth.com (or maybethebox'otruth?) and watch them do penetration tests. Don't employ bird shot for SD, and if you're going to use buck ( I wouldn't) get one with a 3" chamber. The 2 1/2 just isn't there. If you want .410 for SD check out www.bondarms.com. They're shake slayer takes the3". It's a great gun, but I got mine in .357 for a reason.
fightingquaker13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk