Author Topic: Project du jour: Stock refinishing  (Read 10342 times)

Badgersmilk

Project du jour: Stock refinishing
« on: October 28, 2009, 01:48:17 PM »
All that's left now is to see how bad I messed up the fit of everything...

What WAS this (M77).

Is now this...

I never have been a fan of wood on machines (rifles).  In steps Rustoleum truck bed liner.  It sprayed on SUPER thin even with 4 coats, and being highly textured, it's VERY close to the thickness of one sheet of notebook paper.  But at the same time, it's SUPER tough!  I know this because I can't get it off my hands or finger nails without using acetone.  Scratching at it is a compete waste of time.

The idea was to seal the laminate against ANY possible moisture issues.  Improve the durrability of the rifle.  And I admit it...  Looks!

Laminate stocks do look good.  But it's just not what I was after in this case.

I've got a FEW surplus rifles that may soon be getting this treatment as well.

What I'm nervous about with this rifle is that your looking at an epoxy bedded, full floating barrel stock!  It's going to require some cleaning up inside, and will surely be a SNUG fit!  We'll see.  :-\

(I didn't take out the sling stud's because their epoxied into the wood.)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
Re: Project du jour: Stock refinishing
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:51:20 PM »
I've wondered about that stuff as a stock coating also....for the non-slip advantages.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Badgersmilk

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »
I've wondered about that stuff as a stock coating also....for the non-slip advantages.

Exactly.  I may have really F'd up a very expensive, good shooting rifle here (there are A LOT of mod.'s in it!)...

I can probably think of a dozen benefits of doing this (IF it turns out right!), and I figured others have probably weighed the benefits of it as well, so I finally figured.  "What the heck!"  :-\

Badgersmilk

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:17:10 PM »
You can see how thin it goes on (model number stamping), and the texture much better here.  I love it so far!

The "goo" at the bottom of the first pic is the bedding material, not the Rustoleum.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1111
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
That texture looks great.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:32:20 AM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »
WOOO HOOO!!!

Everything fell right back into place perfectly!  Dollar bill still passes under the barrel, bedding felt a little more snug, still fits perfect and super ridgid.  Gonna let it cure for 24 hours before I do anything else with it, but I'm pee'n my pants happy so far!   ;D ;D ;D

The texture is "grippy", too ridgid to call "rubbery"...  Kinda abrasive & "gritty" feeling.  NO WAY is it going to slip in your hands.  Even wet.  

I'll test it's durrability a little tommarow and let you guys know (the overspray still won't scratch off my nails though  :-\).

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
Looks a lot better than the crappy composite stocks Ruger uses.
Let us know how it reacts with heat and or humidity. Does the wood still swell and contract according to the weather, or did this treatment stabilize it.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 08:22:59 PM »
My hope's are heat is going to have VERY little effect on the finish.  It's intended to be a pick-up truck bed liner, and it's a Rustoleum product (I've had good experience with them), so I don't think weather will effect the finish at all.  As far as temperature effecting the rifle, it's still a laminate stock at heart, and reputed to be pretty stable.  I just wanted something that "gripped" better, sealed the wood against moisture, and would take a beating without showing it.  Mission accomplished.  ;)

I believe the stock on my Ruger .44 carbine will be getting this coating soon.  But my Mosin Nagant 91/30 may be next in line (tommarow maybe  ;)).

The M77 stock is hardening up really well!  I've been handling (playing with) it quite a bit.  Feel's great!  VERY good grip!

I'd recommend this stuff to anybody.

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 08:51:04 PM »
I can't believe you turned that nice hunting rifle into an evil assault sniper rifle. You bastard.  ;)   ;D
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 09:58:54 PM »
I can't believe you turned that nice hunting rifle into an evil assault sniper rifle. You bastard.  ;)   ;D

Don't forget anything with any kind of optic you have to add.  "Deadly accurate"  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk