Author Topic: Project du jour: Stock refinishing  (Read 10291 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: Project du jour: Stock refinishing
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 10:05:42 PM »
I can't believe you turned that nice hunting rifle into an evil assault sniper rifle. You bastard.  ;)   ;D

Don't forget anything with any kind of optic you have to add.  "Deadly accurate"  ;)

Don't forget it's BLACK.....can't forget that part of the equation.   :P
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:10:28 PM »
My hope's are heat is going to have VERY little effect on the finish.  It's intended to be a pick-up truck bed liner, and it's a Rustoleum product (I've had good experience with them), so I don't think weather will effect the finish at all.  As far as temperature effecting the rifle, it's still a laminate stock at heart, and reputed to be pretty stable.  I just wanted something that "gripped" better, sealed the wood against moisture, and would take a beating without showing it.  Mission accomplished.  ;)

I believe the stock on my Ruger .44 carbine will be getting this coating soon.  But my Mosin Nagant 91/30 may be next in line (tommarow maybe  ;)).

The M77 stock is hardening up really well!  I've been handling (playing with) it quite a bit.  Feel's great!  VERY good grip!

I'd recommend this stuff to anybody.

What I meant is how will the stock itself act, I had not thought of the heat of the barrel effecting the finish.
The main benefit of Composite stocks is that they are environmentally "dead" they don't swell in heat or humidity or contract in cold. Will this seal the wood to achieve the same result ?

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 10:16:50 PM »
What I meant is how will the stock itself act, I had not thought of the heat of the barrel effecting the finish.
The main benefit of Composite stocks is that they are environmentally "dead" they don't swell in heat or humidity or contract in cold. Will this seal the wood to achieve the same result ?

Generally, you don't have that problem with laminate stocks unless it's in extreme weather circumstances.
It shouldn't be a problem....but only time will tell.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »
Didn't know that Pegleg .
I forgot that BM lives in SC so doesn't get the extremes we do up here any way.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 10:22:28 PM »
Didn't know that Pegleg .

Basically, laminate stocks are thin layers of wood glued with the grain in opposing patterns (like plywood) so that it resists the effects of temperature and humidity by opposing forces....they act against each other to remain very static for the most part.........or something like that.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:40:36 AM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 10:43:46 PM »
I know a 40 degree temperature change will make measurable changes in any rifles zero at range (powder burn rates for one thing).  I'm not expecting the truck bed liner will make any measurable change at all on this rifle's accuracy, no matter the climate.  May be wrong.  What change there may be, I would be even more surprised if it were for the worse. 

My biggest concern now is how will this stuff react to the gun cleaners I use!?!  Supposed to be "chemical, & fuel resisant"...  I'll find out tommarow.

I already looked over my 91/30, and little Ruger .44.  Can't bring myself to do it to them.  It'd just be wrong.   

But I've still got half a can left!  :-\

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 10:46:43 PM »
Try using your gun cleaning stuff to get it off your hands.  ;D

Badgersmilk

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 08:59:14 AM »
Pulled the action back out this morning and rubbed copper solvent, Hopps No. 9, G96 Gun Treatment, and even WD40 in there.  Let them soak for a few seconds each.  Nothing.  They all pooled on the survace and just layed there (didn't soak in).  SWEET!

Usually all I ever use is copper solvent, and the G96.

Before I sprayed on the bed liner material, all I did for prep. was to wipe down the stock with Mineral Spirits.  If you have a stock with scratches, or dents, you'd better fill them and sand them VERY smooth before using this stuff, or they will show through (see the picture showing the model number stamping).  Hold the spray can back from the stock further than you would paint.  It adds to the texture, and keeps you from overspraying.

I think this stuff would work good even on some composite stocks, just to add texture, and improve looks a bit.

It's good stuff!  Try it out and post some pic.'s!

tombogan03884

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 12:03:49 PM »
It would probably bond even better on a composite stock, Not that you have reported any problems.
One question though, was the stock bare wood or did it have a poly finish of some sort ?

Badgersmilk

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »
I don't think it had any kind of finish on it.  Almost sure it was bare laminate.  Ruger doesn't mention anything about a finish being added.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7887&return=Y

I've scratched at the finish on the gun and on my nails.  No result.  I actually scratched at the stuff on my nails as hard as I possibly could with my other hand, after several seconds of that one or two little specks will come off, then it's stuck on the other nail I scratched with!  It's very hard feeling, not sticky or tar like.  But once it's on you you'd better have acetone handy.  I thought the WD40 (being a petroleum distillant, and working GREAT on glue's) would break it down and get it off me...  No.  scratching at it while your hands are soaked with acetone takes it off half decent.  Walking around all day yesterday and so far today + 2 showers hasn't taken any of it off the bottoms of my feet either.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk