Author Topic: Consider this #8: secure concealed carry  (Read 22418 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Neat trick #8: secure concealed carry
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:23:46 AM »
I prefer a holster with some kind of retention. A thumb break is better than nothing at all, and the serpa is better. I also strongly like the use of a second gun, preferably pocket carry .
Always go concealed, properly dressed and do not brag about your carrying, and use common sense.

If I used a retention holster it would be nothing BUT a thumb break, either snap or the Velcro, anything else in my opinion is to much to think about when you primary thought is "Oh sh!t, I may die".

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 07:54:05 AM »
I did the concealed carry for 6 (late 1970's to 1980's) years but we did not have the holster options available now.  I used, and still have and use, a Bianchi pancake with thumb snap similar to Galco Fletch.  I was carrying a S&W 19 with 2 1/2" barrel.  I carried nationawide and never got called on it.  Tried IWB, never liked it, retention was a problem when in a restroom but never with the Bianchi.  Haven't used the new holsters, so cannot comment.
DesertMarine

5thprofession47

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 04:39:38 PM »
I do not mean to hijack this thread but I wanted to share some interesting information.

I learned recently that the BlackHawk Serpa holster is being banned from some ranges. Apparently the reason behind this is that the placement of the button has caused some shooters to accidentally fire their handgun prematurely--usually during the draw stroke. The button, as I understand it, is right in line with the trigger /trigger guard. When drawing their weapon, some shooters have had their finger slip into the trigger housing causing the gun to go off. This occured in part due to the tension the shooter placed on the holster release button. 
MBC Certified Instructor

bbbean

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 04:54:18 PM »
I understand retention for LEOs or others who open carry. LEOs, in particular, are far more likely to enter dangersous situations and encounter resistance from people seeking to escalate. Its easy to see that someone seeking to commit a crime might go out of their way to disarm a uniformed policeman with a gun on his hip. Thumbstraps, Serpa, or other measures make perfect sense here.

On the other hand, the typical CCW holder will have his gun concealed, move AWAY from trouble, and isn't nearly so likely to be the target of someone seeking a gun. If a CCW holder does everything right, no one will ever know he has a gun until it is drawn and aimed - well past the point where a thumb snap would have made a difference.

My primary concerns with my concealed weapon are:

1) Is it safe? Will its holster prevent it from going bang until I want it to?
2) Can I present it fast enough to do me any good?
3) Is it well concealed?

For my money, a retention strap or mechanism won't help with 1 or 3, and will interfere with 2.
--
Barry Bean
Fastest of the slow shooters, best of the bad shots

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »
If I used a retention holster it would be nothing BUT a thumb break, either snap or the Velcro, anything else in my opinion is to much to think about when you primary thought is "Oh sh!t, I may die".
Have you tried any of the active retention holsters I mentioned? And by "try", I mean practice with for at least ten minutes. If not, then I don't think you're in a good position to dismiss them out of hand.

Frequent practice is required in order to "not think much about" drawing under pressure. That's true regardless of what kind of holster and security level you use. The holsters I mention require some practice but do not significantly slow draws.

I learned recently that the BlackHawk Serpa holster is being banned from some ranges. Apparently the reason behind this is that the placement of the button has caused some shooters to accidentally fire their handgun prematurely--usually during the draw stroke. The button, as I understand it, is right in line with the trigger /trigger guard.
Not true and easily verified with any SERPA holster. The index finger release is in line with the frame, not the trigger guard.

Its easy to see that someone seeking to commit a crime might go out of their way to disarm a uniformed policeman with a gun on his hip. Thumbstraps, Serpa, or other measures make perfect sense here.

On the other hand, the typical CCW holder will have his gun concealed, move AWAY from trouble, and isn't nearly so likely to be the target of someone seeking a gun.
As I mentioned in my original post, the primary benefit for CCW is to keep the pistol secure from accidental drops. There's a huge peace of mind knowing nothing can make the handgun come out of the holster except conscious effort. Take-away protection is a distant second.

Sponsor

Re: Consider this #8: secure concealed carry
« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:19:41 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 01:00:54 AM »
Have you tried any of the active retention holsters I mentioned? And by "try", I mean practice with for at least ten minutes. If not, then I don't think you're in a good position to dismiss them out of hand.

Frequent practice is required in order to "not think much about" drawing under pressure. That's true regardless of what kind of holster and security level you use. The holsters I mention require some practice but do not significantly slow draws.
Not true and easily verified with any SERPA holster. The index finger release is in line with the frame, not the trigger guard.
As I mentioned in my original post, the primary benefit for CCW is to keep the pistol secure from accidental drops. There's a huge peace of mind knowing nothing can make the handgun come out of the holster except conscious effort. Take-away protection is a distant second.

Yes I used one for six months with a Auto Ordnance compact  1911 and found it to be an uncomfortable, inconvenient POS.
I might add that I have been carrying since the late 70's, so I have a bit of experience with the situation.

5thprofession47

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 06:54:18 AM »

Okay. I admit I have not handled a SERPA so I was referrencing what I had been reading. I also ran across another thread here specifically addressing the SERPA issue after I made my original post. I do know that Gabe Suarez does not allow them in his classes due to the holsters design. I know I am new here, so please take this as it was intended, as discussion. It is not my intent to start any arguments.
MBC Certified Instructor

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 07:26:08 PM »
I never had any problems or felt that the retention feature on my Bianchi slowed down my draw on a concealed carry.  I also used a Bianchi IWB that clipped to the belt or trousers.  The pancake was faster since accessibility was better.  With any type of holster the key will be to practice, practice and practice some more. 
DesertMarine

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2009, 08:46:29 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ       Here the problem with a paddle.

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 02:37:23 PM »
Yes I used one for six months with a Auto Ordnance compact  1911 and found it to be an uncomfortable, inconvenient POS.
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you, but then again there is no "one perfect holster" as our pile of discarded holsters can attest. :) Have you tried the Safariland? Next to the SERPA's trigger finger release I think the Safariland thumb lever is the most natural draw.

I know I am new here, so please take this as it was intended, as discussion. It is not my intent to start any arguments.
Neither is it mine, so please don't take any offense if it seemed I was harsh. You brought up what you believed was a valid point and I replied with what I believed was a valid rebuttal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ       Here the problem with a paddle.
Well to clarify, there is a problem with a Fobus injection molded paddle. The video clip was incorrect when stating the problem was endemic to all kydex paddle holsters. Some other people have noted paddle holster retention devices like those on a Kramer can fail and you end up drawing the gun still in the holster. (Note: I have and like Kramer paddle holsters but realize their limitations.) That's why for paddle holster I like Blackhawk's design. It uses three hooks that are designed to snag both belt and pants. If anything I think it works too well and prevents me from removing the paddle holster when desired--which is the main selling point of paddle holsters. I resorted to grinding off the pant hook and shortening the two belt hooks by 1/8". It's still very secure but allows me to twist the holster off when needed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk