Author Topic: Will your handgun take this?  (Read 15196 times)

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Will your handgun take this?
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 09:18:06 AM »
And let's not forget that Glock out sells every other handgun out there. So, any problems or failures that you hear about are "magnified." And having shot Glocks for years and thousands of trouble-free rounds, I have had no problems! And half of those were Glock .40's doing the shooting. My G23, .40 I broke in without cleaning. My buddy bet me that is couldn't shoot for a few hundred rounds without jamming. We went to the range and I shot it non-stop for over 700 rds without stoping or cleaning. I ran out of ammo and had to stop. So, mine easily made it past 250rds. without any problems what so ever and it was in the .40 cal. I would normally stop and clean it long before 700+ rounds but I did (and still do) trust Glock. Does price factory in to what law enforcement uses ..sure.. but I wasn't born yesterday and they could have many other guns out there..and why do so many still choose Glock? hmm..  And why do they continue to do so after 20+ years? .. hmmm.. 

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 09:00:16 PM »
A Glock by any other name,,... Is STILL A Glock, shot my range partners again today, Model 27, although small for me, it won't fail! It shoots straight, as good as the shooter, every time.

I'm Glockinized, and will be getting one shortly,....

PS: I still love my M+P,... ;D
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 09:38:51 PM »
And let's not forget that Glock out sells every other handgun out there. So, any problems or failures that you hear about are "magnified." And having shot Glocks for years and thousands of trouble-free rounds, I have had no problems! And half of those were Glock .40's doing the shooting. My G23, .40 I broke in without cleaning. My buddy bet me that is couldn't shoot for a few hundred rounds without jamming. We went to the range and I shot it non-stop for over 700 rds without stoping or cleaning. I ran out of ammo and had to stop. So, mine easily made it past 250rds. without any problems what so ever and it was in the .40 cal. I would normally stop and clean it long before 700+ rounds but I did (and still do) trust Glock. Does price factory in to what law enforcement uses ..sure.. but I wasn't born yesterday and they could have many other guns out there..and why do so many still choose Glock? hmm..  And why do they continue to do so after 20+ years? .. hmmm.. 

Are you sure your address isn't in Smyrna Georgia?   ;)
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »

I've got a 80s series colt I've put over 20k rounds thru, the only thing I have replaced is the recoil spring...( about every 5k rounds... just be safe)
Still got the  mag that came with it, as well as 4 other colt mags I bought when I bought it... only malfunction I ever had was my fualt... I didn't seat the mag all the way.   I've seen glocks  last forever, I've also seen them not make it thru the 1st mag.   

You know its find of funny... now that there are simlar guns in the market place, there is not a  single LE agency near me that issues glocks to thier new hires.   
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Dougdubya

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 12:38:44 AM »
I won't get a .40 caliber Glock - not because of KaBooms, not because I hate the Glock, but I have a minor grudge against the .40 S&W.

9mm Parabellum, 10mm Auto, .357 SIG, .45 ACP, even the friggin' .45 GAP (oh, to try out a .380 Model 25). 

In the past, I told myself it was because the .40 usurped cartridges like the .41 Action Express and the 10mm Auto, but the .357 SIG steps on the .38 Super's toes, and the same applies to the .45 GAP for the .45 ACP.

I think the reasoning is because it stepped on both the 9mm AND the .45 ACP.  The compromise round between the two offends my "if I can't pack a 9mm, I want a .45" sensibilities. 

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:24:13 AM »

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 08:14:38 AM »
You know its find of funny... now that there are simlar guns in the market place, there is not a  single LE agency near me that issues glocks to thier new hires.   
[/quote]

Yeah, it is funny because almost everyone around me does. As a matter of fact, a few more just added Glock as their issued weapons. And Glock is still the biggest law enforcement handgun seller in the U.S. Many of the federal, state, and local agencies all over this country have them. I guess none of them know any better though. I guess they only buy them because they are cheap..  and if cheap is what they are looking for .. maybe they'll all swithch to kel-tecs, hipoints, or derringers to replace those nasty ole glocks. Not that they are bad guns..but they are cheaper and I'm sure that's all they care about when their life is on the line... the price of the gun..     

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 08:37:16 AM »
you really have drank way to much of the glock koolaid.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »

With the exchange of information available today and the fact that many "service pistols" were designed with an eye on MILITARY procurement requirements, which must be for more stringent than the needs of a local police force, There really is no difference between the pistols being chosen except contract details. Departments in the    NH Seacoast area primarily carry Sig's as the plant is located there, they can get discounts,  same day service, and convenient training at the Sig Academy.
Since all name brand service pistols will stand up to more abuse than the average officer will put his weapon through Departments that are not located close to a specific manufacturer have little to base their choice on except price and service. While a small prosperous town may be able to outfit it's dozen or so officers with Wilson Custom  1911's this is not a practical choice for a city like Boston or NY which would be buying thousands of weapons on one contract.
Being first with the Polymer technology gives Glock 2 advantages over the competition, a longer track record of dependability and they have , by now, covered their R&D costs, and therefore can give a better deal to communities looking for new service weapons. Glocks seem pretty tough, the one I shot was nice if you don't mind DA trigger pull, but what makes for a perfectly acceptable duty gun may not be what an INDIVIDUAL is looking for in a concealed carry, or home defense pistol. Therefore the final and most important criteria, as in ALL personal firearms choices is personal preference and comfort.

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 10:32:52 AM »
Glock still dominates the marketplace, but I see trends they may need to adress sooner or later (based on contract requirements I've seen, actual and proposed):

Adjustable grip
Ambi controls (mag/slide release)
Manual/mag safety option
Ability to field strip w/o pulling the trigger

I can think of almost a half million pistols they did not sell to several places in the last few yrs due to the above, and about a half million more coming to another (when they finally go shopping again).  ;)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »

Mmmmmmm.... Glock Koolaid!
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk