Author Topic: Changing Out AR-15 Pistol Grips ??  (Read 15917 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Changing Out AR-15 Pistol Grips ??
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:41 AM »
For guys who have done it, have you encountered any grief? I ask because while it seems simple enough, I know many of the manufacturers use Loc-Tite or some other type of thread locker on the threads of the screw. I've seen this cause destruction of the threads in Aluminum. In the videos posted on You Tube showing these being installed, you can tell they always pre loosened the screw before they made the video. I just wondered if anyone tried it and had problems?

I have a Bushmaster Modular Carbine that came with an Ergo Grip installed, and my LWRC weapons have the Mag-Pul MIAD Grip from the factory, which I really like. So I'm thinking of changing out some of my other ones if it's not a royal pain to do. Sometimes the simplest of jobs are the ones that give you the most problems.

capbyrd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Changing Out AR-15 Pistol Grips ??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »
I've personally never had an issue.  And if there was any loctite, it was blue which really only requires about a sneeze worth of pressure to break loose. 

bjtraz

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »
A simple trick, that WILL save you headaches, is to place masking tape on the end of flat head screwdriver. Making the fit between the screw and driver tighter aids in getting it started. If you don't, you will spend many attempts fumbling with it. Also, be aware of the safety lever hold pin and spring, it will fall out and lodge in the most remote/dark/cob webby part of your bench.  ;D I use white lithium grease on the spring, it holds it in the grip while installing. Good luck.

Brian
NRA & NAHC Life Member, American Legion

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
My DPMS uses a slotted screw. My Rock River Arms uses a Allen head socket cap screw. And I hate attempting jobs that start out by someone wishing you luck.  ;D

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »
Just a touch of grease when replacing to keep the spring in place. Should not be an issue. I do not use loctite.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:28:46 AM »

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 12:31:17 PM »
Never had a problem, 2 minutes max. It's no big deal at all.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:32:52 PM »
What they all said. Easy job. No loc-tite. Watch your spring and detent. 2 minute job.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »
I just finished. You're right. It took me longer to find my Allen wrenches than it did to install it. I went with an Ergo Tactical DeLuxe. It's nice and fat. Fit's my hand much better, plus it's overmolded in nice grippy rubber. I'm going to get a few more. The screw wasn't tight at all. It came right out.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
Grip change is amazing from the standard AR grip. Mine was the Falcon ERGO similar to yours, 99.9% of the time, loc-tite Blue, is not needed for any part of an AR (except) the optic mounts.  I've seen many scope/red-dot packages walk right off the rail. and were only talking a microdot worth.

Those leetle detents and springs have legs and will VANISH in carpet. Always good to scrounge the internet for sales and keep a complete lower parts kit (or two), very handy when "something" happens..

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
I bought this one from my local dealer. I paid $39.95 for it. $43 something with tax. After I installed it, I liked it so much I ordered 4 more from Midway. They had them on sale for $23.99. 4 of them with shipping was only $12 more than 2 of them would have cost me from my local dealer. I don't mind helping out the local guys, but not for almost twice as much. Anyway I'm putting them on my DPMS .308, and my Rock River 9 MM, as well as a couple other Bushmasters I have. The DPMS has a slotted screw holding the grip. I'm hoping that one doesn't give me grief. Both the Rock River Arms and the Bushmasters use 3/16 Hex Head bolts. I've got an extended Allen Wrench that fits on a 3/8" drive ratchet. That combination just pops them right off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk