Author Topic: AR-15 To The Leg, (WARNING GRAPHIC!!)  (Read 19195 times)

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: AR-15 To The Leg, (WARNING GRAPHIC!!)
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »

I agree with Kid....and no I ain't a medical professional....and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn........

My left thigh looked about like the photo except without an 'entrance wound'.
I had a major compound fracture and actually lost about a 4" section of the bone completely (they never found it and I envisioned a scraggly-assed little mutt running around a neighborhood playing with it). I also lost a good sized chunk of muscle tissue after multiple debridement surgeries over a month to remove trash and tissue.
With the application of an IM Rod (intermedulliary rod ? Kid?) and an application of a new 'bondo-like' substance called 'calcergen paste' to the missing place where the bone was supposed to be, six months later the bone had grown back together (only 3/4" shorter than it once was). My knee was broken in several places, but they saved it.

He may be OK.
Peg,

It's a bummer that you got to become so knowledgable about orthopedics, the hard way, but you do know your stuff.

Dr. PegLeg, paging Dr. PegLeg.......You are needed in OR 16. ;D

An IM (Intramedullary) rod/nail is often used when there is significant bone loss due to injury. High energy impacts, such as those seen in motorcycle and automobile wrecks, can cause bone loss through disintegration of the bone, a phenomenon that is frequently and irreverantly called, by the non-medical term, dusting. As in, the bone in his mid femur was dusted. Bone fragments can also be ejected with severe open fractures, as you experienced. External fixation devices are also frequently used for severe fractures, with accompanying bone loss and/or difficult alignment. The "Ex-Fix" can be adjusted to accomodate new bone growth

There are many, relatively new, medical products used for bone loss. Other interesting products include:  BMP (Bone Morphogenic Protein), DBX (Demineralized Bone Matrix), products made from the calcium found in sea corals, the old standby, Allograft (cadaver bone) and many others (including electronic bone growth stimulators). Many of these products are perfected by the military. There is an unfortunate need for bone replacement due to IEDs. The military is also a leader in the development of new and improved prosthetics.

The U.S. military has a long history of medical innovation.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

tombogan03884

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 01:20:03 PM »
 It's not just US military either. the Roman legions used bread mold on wounds, it was not till the 20th century that penicillin was developed from that.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »
Peg,

It's a bummer that you got to become so knowledgable about orthopedics, the hard way, but you do know your stuff.

Dr. PegLeg, paging Dr. PegLeg.......You are needed in OR 16. ;D

An IM (Intramedullary) rod/nail is often used when there is significant bone loss due to injury. High energy impacts, such as those seen in motorcycle and automobile wrecks, can cause bone loss through disintegration of the bone, a phenomenon that is frequently and irreverantly called, by the non-medical term, dusting. As in, the bone in his mid femur was dusted. Bone fragments can also be ejected with severe open fractures, as you experienced. External fixation devices are also frequently used for severe fractures, with accompanying bone loss and/or difficult alignment. The "Ex-Fix" can be adjusted to accomodate new bone growth

There are many, relatively new, medical products used for bone loss. Other interesting products include:  BMP (Bone Morphogenic Protein), DBX (Demineralized Bone Matrix), products made from the calcium found in sea corals, the old standby, Allograft (cadaver bone) and many othersn (including electronic bone growth stimulators). Many of these products are perfected by the military. There is an unfortunate need for bone replacement due to IEDs. The military is also a leader in the development of new and improved prosthetics.

The U.S. military has a long history of medical innovation.

Actually, my ortho surgeon used several Army doctors from Ft. Benning in Columbus for a couple of consults.

They also used a new (to our hospital) device called a 'wound-vac'. I know you know what it is, Kid. Our hospital had the machine, but no one had been trained how to use it. They had to get a nurse that worked as a trainer for the manufacturer of the device to come in and train them to use the machine. It was to prevent infection in such large wounds, and to this day all those involved say they have never seen such bad wounds heal so fast with absolutely no signs of infection at all. I was the first person they used it on at our relatively small hospital....but a friend in the OR says they use it all the time now, and have actually saved limbs completely because of it.

Medical treatments, physical rehab, and prosthetics technology has gained great ground in the last few years, but at a very high cost paid by our heroic military personnel.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »
Medical treatments, physical rehab, and prosthetics technology has gained great ground in the last few years, but at a very high cost paid by our heroic military personnel.

Amen PegLeg.

God bless all of our military heroes and their families, who sacrifice right along with them.

The cost of our military medical technology is unbearable and always has been. I would be very happy if the need to innovate disappeared forever.

In the meantime, I'll take triumph from tragedy.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2009, 05:54:39 PM »
TAB,
I just reviewed the films again and I disagree (perhaps you misunderstood your wife's prognosis). The knee joint is not involved and I see no need for a Total Knee Arthroplasty. There is adequate room to apply a distal femoral plate. The fracture is supracondylar (The LISS plate can even be used for intra-articular fractures). There would be no involvement of the hip unless the repair were done with an intramedullary nail. Perhaps that was her recommended repair. I believe that I would go with a Synthes distal femoral LISS plate. The LISS plate is available in 5 to 13 screw length and could be sized to provide adequate stability both above and below the fracture. Just my .02

when she gets all "doctor speak"  I just smile and nod.  its easier that way.   ;)

what I find really intresting is, just about all the surgical tools I have in my garage.   they are just wood working to diffrent sizes, shapes and diffrent materails, but other wise they are same
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 11:44:14 AM »

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 06:03:31 PM »

when she gets all "doctor speak"  I just smile and nod.  its easier that way.   ;)

what I find really intresting is, just about all the surgical tools I have in my garage.   they are just wood working to diffrent sizes, shapes and diffrent materails, but other wise they are same
Don't tell your wife, but back in the day orthopedic surgeons were refered to as "Chrome plated carpenters." ;D

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 06:20:26 PM »
Don't tell your wife, but back in the day orthopedic surgeons were refered to as "Chrome plated carpenters." ;D

that will be used at some point.   ;D

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 06:24:55 PM »
that will be used at some point.   ;D

Don't do it. She's an expert with sharp objects and knows where to place them. ;D

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 06:34:17 PM »
worth the risk...

in my family, if your not getting teased, something is wrong.

tombogan03884

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2009, 08:06:46 PM »
worth the risk...

in my family, if your not getting teased, something is wrong.

Just remember, She knows where you sleep !  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk