Author Topic: Thinking of building a tactical shotgun  (Read 25080 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Thinking of building a tactical shotgun
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »
Thanks.  Does anyone have any experience with the Knoxx Stocks?  Are they worth the money?

Yes..Knoxx are fantastic..... P.S.,  Give EAA SARPASP 12g a look, MSRP, $379, all steel construction, comes with rails and ghost ring sights.

http://www.eaacorp.com/

870's are always "tweakable" (I tweaked mine), a Knoxx is well worth it, barrels can be swapped for turkey season, and a 12g is a good thing.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_catalog_command.cmd?fromProductSearch=true&item1=xm-22-4733

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but it went on easily and fits me much better .

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 04:51:11 PM »
Did you need the special tool?
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2011, 05:01:06 PM »
No, it requires a long Allen wrench which was included with the stock. If you change the Fore end you WILL need a fore end wrench as they use a recessed castle style nut. I just kept the wood fore end as I preferred the shape.

GI Joe

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 04:34:22 AM »
I did an 870 about 10 years ago, speed feed pistol grip fixed stock,scatter gun tecnologies magazine extension and extrapower speing with hi viz follower, side saddle shall carrier. I had a smith drill and tap the recievier and install a weaver rail/mount on which I installed a BSA ans Tasco reddot. I used the standard 20 inch smooth Remingtion slug barrel with iron sights.

The red dots worked welll but the aluminum base deformed where the redot clamped on. It loooked like the red dot unit was trying to come off under recoil. I would suggest a steel rail. I currently use just the iron sights since the red dots I HAD were of the in expensive variety they would not illuminate when deer hunting once temperatures got to be 20 degreeF or less.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:16:34 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:18 AM »
18 in min, but you would be wise to go atleast 18.5"

TAB is correct. Another thing to remember is the "correct" way to measure the barrel. I say "correct" because it is the way the ATF measures them, and if you try arguing the point with them you will lose. They measure shotgun barrel length from the bolt face with the action closed, to the end of the muzzle. Now, on a O/U there is little to no gap from the back end of the barrel to the breech face of the receiver. But on a pump or a semi auto this can vary because of where and how the bolt locks up. The most common method of accomplishing this is to drop a length of wooden dowel rod, or else a cleaning rod down the barrel and mark the end. When doing this add into account "The Weaver Factor" which is usually considered to be an extra 1/8". Better safe than sorry. The reason it is called that is because it was reported the incident that triggered the whole Randy Weaver standoff with the FBI at Ruby Ridge, was the result of him failing to appear in court for being accused of owning a shotgun with a barrel that was 1/8" inch too short.  Bill T.

breezzer99

• Active Forum Member
  • trust your finger it says I twitch you die
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 09:28:13 AM »
Plus if its your first cut you may wanna seek help I fudged my first one up. So I went to a farm aucton bought 870 for 125 and bought a barrel and stock and went that route.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 10:13:11 AM »
Path, here is picture of my rig and I like it, I will go into detail as we go.

870 with 20" slug barrel  and rifle sights that have been replaced with meprolight tritium, did not think I would like them, I like them a lot, easy to pick up at night and low light, good old buckhorn sight picture that we all grew up on, adjustable so your dead on.  

surefire fore end with led bulb, expensive but I think a light on a shot gun makes good sense.

no name  collapsible stock, cost 60 bucks and I picked up a Sig 556 adjustable part for 30 bucks that has a good rubber butt pad and battery storage, also a sling mount, not single point but it is there. I did have to file the part that attaches to the receiver until I got the correct angle that aligns my eye straight  down the barrel and sights. Recoil is not near as bad as expected.

All metal side saddle 4 rds, Scattergun Tech 7rd extension, all steel, this is important in a SD durable unit, and has the sling mount built in, hearing good things about Nordic extensions but don't have one, Vang over size safety, cheap and work like a champ.

Now 18.5 vs 20" barrels, not much difference in performance, with an 18.5" barrel, a good 8 rd extension will extend beyond the barrel, and there is your extra round and stand off, 2 for 1,  With the collapsible stock, could be used for bird hunting and you might get looked at funny, but if you did as I did and fit it to your line of sight and shoulder, it will work and will take you a couple minutes to switch out barrels, and remove extended magazine tubes.  I would not hesitate and will not hesitate to make this my grab and go shotgun, although I have several others to choose from. Hope this helps.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
Couple of notes on the 870.

If it is a current Express model, you will need to drill out and clean up two dimples pressed into the front end of the magazine tube to allow the use of an extension.  The dimples prevent the follower from moving past the end of the tube.

Also, be careful about the side saddle shell holder.  The stock forearm might extend to far back to allow it's use.  Replace the forearm.   I'd get M25's Surefilre if you can afford it.  
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
Do you own an 870? If so, listen to the board. If not, I would really, really, really reccomend a Mossy. The reason for that is the top mounted safety. Personally, its where a safety belongs and its ambi (I'm a lefty, so I'm biased, but even shooting RH with gloves its a whole lot easier). Plus, they are cheaper and I see little loss in quality. If its good enough for the USMC, its good enough for me. Plus, as Tom noted, you can get a two barrel set, SD and birds for $500. The 590 is my shotty of choice. I stupidly sold one a decade or so ago, but those ghost rings would put a slug in a dessert plate at 30 yards (I never shot further as I bought it for bear defense on an Alaska trip). Anyway, good luck.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk