Author Topic: Thinking of building a tactical shotgun  (Read 24993 times)

nosimij

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Thinking of building a tactical shotgun
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
Something to consider with a pistol grip stock of any kind is that they hinder the removal of the trigger group nad bolt carrier for cleaning.

I love my Winchester with an ATI A2 style except to remove the trigger group and bolt for cleaning I have to pull the screws out of the butt plate and take the whole stock loose so I can pivit it out of the way to drop the trigger group.

The innerards do not get cleaned as often as they should because of this.

Note the post on top of page 2 with the picture.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 12:20:43 PM »
Something to consider with a pistol grip stock of any kind is that they hinder the removal of the trigger group nad bolt carrier for cleaning.

I love my Winchester with an ATI A2 style except to remove the trigger group and bolt for cleaning I have to pull the screws out of the butt plate and take the whole stock loose so I can pivit it out of the way to drop the trigger group.

The innerards do not get cleaned as often as they should because of this.

Note the post on top of page 2 with the picture.

I've never removed the trigger group in any of my shotguns for cleaning. This includes my Trap guns that have had thousands of rounds fired through them. What I do instead is wet clean them with clean Kerosene and a brush, followed by blowing them out with compressed air. They come out as spotless as they were when new. By flooding the trigger group with Kerosene it won't attack the finish of the metal, or the stock. After blowing dry there is no solvent left anywhere. If you can't find Kerosene, or don't like the smell, you can use WD-40. It won't form any residue if you blow it out.

I have used this on pumps, semi autos, as well as O/U's. I also clean  many of my semi auto .22's this way, including all of my Ruger Mark autos. It's faster, and you're not forced to deal with difficult disassembly and reassembly procedures that can be a royal PITA. If you have the room, you can get one of those little 2 gallon bench top automotive parts washers from Harbor Freight and fill it with Kerosene or WD-40. They're not expensive and really work well for this type of thing. They also have several models of low cost, small air compressors that are perfect for gun cleaning.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
I recently took the training wheels off my bicycle... hooked a curb at a shallow angle and fell on my left shoulder...as I've been working the crunchies out of my shoulder, I find that I'm not able to lift a shotgun with a full magazine tube... check with your significant other to see it that is a problem in the household... you may want to download or possibly remove the tube if it's difficult for your SO or responsible kids to handle...my SureFire Scout lite is on my tube, but am thinking about taking the extended tube off... have just downloaded it, but still is difficult to handle...it's a bitch getting old...

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
I recently took the training wheels off my bicycle... hooked a curb at a shallow angle and fell on my left shoulder...as I've been working the crunchies out of my shoulder, I find that I'm not able to lift a shotgun with a full magazine tube... check with your significant other to see it that is a problem in the household... you may want to download or possibly remove the tube if it's difficult for your SO or responsible kids to handle...my SureFire Scout lite is on my tube, but am thinking about taking the extended tube off... have just downloaded it, but still is difficult to handle...it's a bitch getting old...
Damn new fangled machines! Not safe at any speed. Sorry about the bang up. But, here is where I would (if we were living in a sane world) reccomend an AR for HD. If the weight and recoil is an issue with a shot gun you can fix that withan AR. Its lighter, even with a full mag, easier to operate than a pump and the recoil is barely felt. Plus if you you use Hornady 55 gr HP TAP, its less likely to over penetrate than '00 buck. Plus, if at first you don't suceed, try and try again. ;D
 Six months ago you could have picked one up for seven hundred bucks,. Now.....? Still, if you want a defensive long gun that is forgiving of physical limitations, I'd reccomend one.Good luck.

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 06:49:39 PM »
fightingquaker13... I actually have one of those things... mostly it resides in the gun safe and gets to play on the weekends... actually, it would be my go to if I have time to get the safe open... regards....

old guy pic from Ft Benning Sniper Range... rifle/shotgun stage FB3G 2007

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 02:59:27 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk