Author Topic: ACLU on the side of gun rights???  (Read 8423 times)

tt11758

• Noolis bastardis carborundum (Don't let the bastards wear you down)
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger ~
    • 10-Ring Firearms Training
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: ACLU on the side of gun rights???
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »
I won't be holding my breath, but I'd love to see the ACLU truly shift on this. With a name that makes them sound like a group that would protect all of the rights that we hold dear, they don't deserve any support if they're going to pick and choose which rights each of us should have. If they won't stand up for all of them, their supporters should let them wither and then back another organization that will. Even if a new one has to be created.

You sir, are wise beyond your years!!  Their name isn't (though SHOULD be) "The American Organization For The Defense Of SOME Civil Liberties".
I love waking up every morning knowing that Donald Trump is President!!

tombogan03884

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 01:13:51 PM »
Kid, you know I like you, and I know you're in a tough place, but I've got to say it.Wait till you get arrested. The ACLU ain't perfect. It goes waaay too far on seperation of church and state, and it has (until recently) ignored the 2A. That being said, its work on 1A issues and the rights of the accused (not guilty, just accused) has helped stop governmental abuse of power, whether by a local PD, a high school principal or some federal bureacrat,who thought they were answerable to none, many, many times. Lets not forget that.
FQ13

BS ALERT

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 01:49:01 PM »

BS ALERT
Show me an alternative Tom. In this case, its not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. That I will grant you. It is more like  not letting the perfect be the enemy of the better than nothing. Again, you got something better to show me, fine. Otherwise.........
FQ13

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 02:27:06 PM »
Show me an alternative Tom. It this case, its not letting the perfect being the enemy of the good. That I will grant you. It is more like  not letting the perfect be the enemy of the better than nothing. Again, you got something better to show me, fine. Otherwise.........
FQ13

Is that why you voted for Obama as apposed to the alternative......

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 02:30:44 PM »
Yep. And no need for the bird. I am suffering a great deal of buyers remorse, but I still wouldn't vote McCain either. I'd just have left the top of the ticket blank.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:10:40 AM »

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 02:54:57 PM »
Yep. And no need for the bird. I am suffering a great deal of buyers remorse, but I still wouldn't vote McCain either. I'd just have left the top of the ticket blank.
FQ13

Yeah, Obama is a big fan of voting "present" also.

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 03:06:31 PM »
Say what you want, Eric, but after McCain Feingold and Palin, I would not and will not vote for the guy. (not that it mattered as Obama won my state anyway). Besides, we've pretty much beaten this horse to death anyway.
peace
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »

Where did you EVER find that little guy  ;D
Show me an alternative Tom. In this case, its not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. That I will grant you. It is more like  not letting the perfect be the enemy of the better than nothing. Again, you got something better to show me, fine. Otherwise.........
FQ13

It's no surprise you would defend the ACLU, Your vote for the Post Turtle shows your preference for the half assed.

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
Kid, you know I like you, and I know you're in a tough place, but I've got to say it.Wait till you get arrested. The ACLU ain't perfect. It goes waaay too far on seperation of church and state, and it has (until recently) ignored the 2A. That being said, its work on 1A issues and the rights of the accused (not guilty, just accused) has helped stop governmental abuse of power, whether by a local PD, a high school principal or some federal bureacrat,who thought they were answerable to none, many, many times. Lets not forget that.
FQ13
Back at you FQ. I respect your views and I have both agreed with you and learned from you, BUT although my post on the ACLU was somewhat tongue in cheek I stand by it.

#1. I believe that the ACLU has done so much damage to our society regarding the seperation of church and state that it does, and in my opinion, always will outweigh any good that they have done or ever will do. Our society as a whole has lost our moral compass. The consequences of this shift have been disasterous. I blame the ACLU for doing everything in their power to strip God from our collective conscience.

#2. "Wait 'till you get arrested:" I don't ever see myself getting arrested because I don't do anything that would warrant it. Thankfully I still have the right to free speech, without needing the ACLU to grant it. Our founding fathers graciously granted that right and guaranteed it for perpetuity in our living Constitution. If I were to get arrested, for some unforseen reason, I would hire my own attorney or attorneys and have much more confidence in my personal choice.

#3. Our Constitution assures that I am innocent until proven guilty and further guarantees a trial by a jury of my peers. I don't need or desire the assistance of the ACLU in that arena either.

I can hear you now, don't be naive Kid, many people have had those guaranteed rights trampled. Agreed, but I'll take my chances with our justice system. While it is imperfect, I still believe it to be the best in the world and I would rather count upon my own resources than to call upon the ACLU. They have done far too much damage to ever gain my respect.

Next argument, Kid what about the poor and down troden that don't have the resources to fight the good fight. Are you so uncaring that you would throw them to the wolves without the ACLU to stand up for them? I believe in the inherent goodness of the American people and there are both good and altruistic court appointed lawyers and lawyers that will provide pro bono services to right the injustices that can be righted. Again, while imperfect options, I would consider any imperfection to be a good and fair trade off to stop the ACLU from further shredding the fabric of our society.

On this subject I will respectfully have to agree to disagree.
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 03:13:08 PM »
Where did you EVER find that little guy  ;D

http://smileyx.com/smilies/mad0248.gif     (right click then 'properties')
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk