Author Topic: ACLU on the side of gun rights???  (Read 8433 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ACLU on the side of gun rights???
« on: July 06, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »
http://www.wwl.com/pages/4728222.php?contentType=4&contentId=4283203

ACLU files suit over gun rights

Jay Vise Reporting
A New Orleans man is suing the city and its district attorney for refusing to give back a gun that police seized when he was arrested on drug and firearms charges.

The American Civil Liberties Union on Thursday filed the federal suit on behalf of Errol Houston Jr., who was arrested last year following a traffic stop.

The suit says the district attorney's office declined to prosecute Houston but has refused to return his .40 caliber firearm.

Houston claims Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro has instituted a policy that firearms seized during arrests will not be returned to their owners.

The ACLU says that policy violates Houston's constitutional rights.

Cannizzaro says his office decides on a "case by case basis'' whether to return confiscated guns.

Am I missing something:
ACLU does not recognize firearm ownership as an individual right
http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=2013.0
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1064
Re: ACLU on the side of gun rights???
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:45:41 PM »
Too stupid to know their own policies?

Reminds me of a city councilman in my area who once made a motion for a particular zoning ordinance and then when it came up for a vote, the dumbass got confused and voted against his own motion.
And, yes, he's still a councilman.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 02:48:07 PM »
 Apparently you did miss something :
for refusing to give back a gun that police seized when he was arrested on drug and firearms charges.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
Hopefully they've pulled their head out of their ass on this issue. In fairness though, there is world of difference between the ACLU and ACLU lawyers.There is a board, which raises and distributes expense money, and then there are volunteer lawyers who take the cases  pro bono with their expenses paid. Maybe its rebellion in the ranks by a La. lawyer, maybe its a sign of change, maybe they just see it as a fifth ammendment takings issue? Who knows?
FQ13

Steyr M40A1

• Top Forum Member
  • Steyr MxA1 Series Pistols
    • My pistol picts
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:06:39 PM »
Apparently you did miss something :
for refusing to give back a gun that police seized when he was arrested on drug and firearms charges.

Arrested does not mean he was tried and convicted of crime. If you read the story again, the charges were dropped.
Remember the innocent until proven guilty thing.
This kind of crap happens in most of the states and counties and cities.
Here is a article from my local newspaper about the same thing, property taken and the owners forced to pay to get it back.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD03062909.htm
Richard Cook

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch" -Babj615 Steyrclub.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb." Benjamin Franklin

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:33:12 PM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 895
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »
This move is keeping the ACLU elites up nights and drinking Malox.  They find themselves in a position that the only way they can go after a group is to defend a group they hate ... I love it  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
Arrested does not mean he was tried and convicted of crime. If you read the story again, the charges were dropped.
Remember the innocent until proven guilty thing.
This kind of crap happens in most of the states and counties and cities.
Here is a article from my local newspaper about the same thing, property taken and the owners forced to pay to get it back.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/Headlines/frtHEAD03062909.htm

You need to read the story again, there is a difference  between  "Dropped charges" and "chose not to prosecute"
I'm surprised they are not trying to get his drugs returned as well.
There are differences between the ACLU Nation Organization and state chapters, The Utah state chapter also took a gun case on our side. But La. has far more egregious anti civil rights cases that they could have involved them selves in.

http://cdn1.libsyn.com/guntalk/090614guntalkA.mp3?nvb=20090707013149&nva=20090708014149&t=06fa6c21a6c42576d3a84
In Shreveport, If you are pulled over by the Police "Your rights have been suspended'

Kid Shelleen

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:19:28 AM »
I don't ever want the ACLU on my side.

I want each and every one of them to leave our country and to got to one where they belong.

The FCLU (French Civil Liberties Union) or in Francaises:  L'Union de Libertés Civile Françaises. Doesn't that just sound right?

Au revoir les idiots. ;D
“What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that the people preserve the spirit of resistance?”

Thomas Jefferson, 1787

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 02:32:06 AM »
I don't ever want the ACLU on my side.

I want each and every one of them to leave our country and to got to one where they belong.

The FCLU (French Civil Liberties Union) or in Francaises:  L'Union de Libertés Civile Françaises. Doesn't that just sound right?

Au revoir les idiots. ;D
Kid, you know I like you, and I know you're in a tough place, but I've got to say it.Wait till you get arrested. The ACLU ain't perfect. It goes waaay too far on seperation of church and state, and it has (until recently) ignored the 2A. That being said, its work on 1A issues and the rights of the accused (not guilty, just accused) has helped stop governmental abuse of power, whether by a local PD, a high school principal or some federal bureacrat,who thought they were answerable to none, many, many times. Lets not forget that.
FQ13

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 04:25:34 AM »
I won't be holding my breath, but I'd love to see the ACLU truly shift on this. With a name that makes them sound like a group that would protect all of the rights that we hold dear, they don't deserve any support if they're going to pick and choose which rights each of us should have. If they won't stand up for all of them, their supporters should let them wither and then back another organization that will. Even if a new one has to be created.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk