Author Topic: minimum for daily living  (Read 22979 times)

cjwise5

• Forum Member
  • www.code4-tactical.com
    • Code 4 Tactical Supply
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: minimum for daily living
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 01:51:45 PM »
+1

I am one of the eye rollers here. If I need all of that crap, I'm not going into that neighborhood. My daily load out is one G26 (no spare mag, cause if I can't get it done in 11, I'm probably dead). One, 2 1/2 " Gerber knife (tactical against hang nails and fishing knots), an LEd key chain light, a cell phone, and situational awareness. Dude, I live in Florida, not Iraq. Wear the gun, don't let the gun wear you. If you live in a more hazardous environment, adjust. But if I need 2 guns, 2 knives, a tactical vest, etc., survey says, MOVE!
FQ13

In my opinion a person needs the spare mag.  What if your mag fails after the first shot?  IMO none of us should get caught in the "it won't happen in my town" mentality.   Sometimes the "bad neighborhood" comes to you.  :)

LoveMyXds

• cogito ergo boom
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
My daily loadout is my XDm .40 IWB and two spare mags in a homemade kydex pocket holder (if 49 rounds of Cor-Bon DPX's aren't enough... LOL), my trusty SOG multi tool, a cellphone and a minimaglite (I know its not tacticool, but it works and it is one of he BEST self defense tools ever made, think kubotan) No tactical folders for this cat... I've been stabbed twice and knives give me the heebie jeebies!

"Stripping motivated people of their dignity and rubbing their noses in it is a very bad idea."

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »
Daily carry lately, has been the M85 Ultra-Lite with +P's, two extra Bianchi speed strips for a total of 15 rds. I don't carry on the boat as I bend, crouch, stretch, etc,...

Out on the town, same rig, or P3AT, or Walther PPK/S, with Kershaw pocket clip knife, phone, and stream light. Sometimes, depending on temp, and attire, IWB up to M+P .40, or FN9, spare mags can be tough in 75+ degree shorts, but I keep them in the glove box. 

Full size mags are great to have but climate and attire can be limited without "waddling" in shorts. Try to keep it light.

Road trips, are G21, or 1911. both in 45ACP, and "something" in the back seat within easy reach if I'm not driving and stopped.

Nothing to draw attention, I prefer to be the "quiet" traveler.

Seems S. Florida weather, can be "finicky" when it comes to what "works" :-\ 

Do carry First Aid kit, and a rotating bag of ammo, mags, always some bottled water, and a change of clothes in the Xterra,.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

atmiller

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »

I think a small first aid kit should be essential.  Even some aspirin and some gauze would be good to have on hand.  This was covered on one of the episodes of TBD-Survival. 

Cutter68CB

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 01:07:29 AM »
    I carry a XD9 subcom with 1 extra mag. Thats 33 rnds of 147gr., a Kershaw, cell phone, small multi tool, and at night a Insight 150. In my Jeep I have a bug out box with an XD45 5" with 3 mags. A YHM Diamond XL with 14.5", 8 Pmags loaded and a ammo bandoleer of another 140 rnds. Sleeping bag, first aid,water, foul weather clothes, Same as alot of you on the rest of the stuff. But one thing I didn't see was anyone carrying a NBC gas mask or gear. That I do carry with 1 spare set of filters...A Rhino handheld GPS...
    Guys take it from me, I work for a class 1 railroad. There is no way a train loaded full of HAZ-MAT can be watched or protected 24/7. We carry everthing from nuclear waste, Ammo and Bombs, Ammonium nitrate and the list goes on. A terrorist attack on one of these trains in a densly populated area  like DFW or Chicago could be devastating!!!
                                                                                                                             Cutter
(Prepare for the Worst and Don't always expect the Best!!!)

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 12:10:18 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 01:49:51 AM »
    I carry a XD9 subcom with 1 extra mag. Thats 33 rnds of 147gr., a Kershaw, cell phone, small multi tool, and at night a Insight 150. In my Jeep I have a bug out box with an XD45 5" with 3 mags. A YHM Diamond XL with 14.5", 8 Pmags loaded and a ammo bandoleer of another 140 rnds. Sleeping bag, first aid,water, foul weather clothes, Same as alot of you on the rest of the stuff. But one thing I didn't see was anyone carrying a NBC gas mask or gear. That I do carry with 1 spare set of filters...A Rhino handheld GPS...
    Guys take it from me, I work for a class 1 railroad. There is no way a train loaded full of HAZ-MAT can be watched or protected 24/7. We carry everthing from nuclear waste, Ammo and Bombs, Ammonium nitrate and the list goes on. A terrorist attack on one of these trains in a densly populated area  like DFW or Chicago could be devastating!!!
                                                                                                                             Cutter

As to the NBC gear, its not as nuts as it sounds. Commercially  "Scent Lock" tm ::) is charging better than $200 to very stupid bow hunters for "activated charcoal cammo" that will mask their scent. The bow hunters aren't stupid to believe the claim, its true. They are stupid to pay two bills for what is basically a chem war suit. I bought a British army surplus model in Brit woodland cammo, through Sierra trading post.com for a grand total of  $25. The stuff works, as several very dead hogs and deer will attest, and it is also very warm and wind proof (the polite way of saying hot as hell, and you'll sweat like a pig if its above fifty degrees or you exert yourself too much) :-\ Still, its good for bowhunting from the ground, cost practically nothing, and if I bought the gloes, booties and mask, I would be set for an NBC attack. I wouldn't race to buy one unless, like me you can make it a multi tasker, but its not a bad feeling knowing its here.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »
 Chemical spills are like crap, They happen, even if all you get is the mask, skin exposed to something like chlorine is relatively easy to treat, lungs are not.
On the list of major disasters, I would put Chemical spill way ahead of Major blizzard or ice storm as far as immediate threat.

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
Chemical spills are like crap, They happen, even if all you get is the mask, skin exposed to something like chlorine is relatively easy to treat, lungs are not.
On the list of major disasters, I would put Chemical spill way ahead of Major blizzard or ice storm as far as immediate threat.

This is surprising due to the amount of blizzards and Ice storms we have been though compaired to the HazChem. spills.

In no way am I saying you are wrong, just that I was the opposite.

tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

tombogan03884

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »
 That was a big part of my thinking Texicaliber, we get blizzards every year, HO HUM, the lights are out, Crap, I have to shovel the walk again, but Chemical spills can happen along any major road or rail line and few if any of us are prepared even mentally, to respond to something like that in the middle of an ordinary day. And I include military personnel as well .

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 10:41:45 AM »

This is surprising due to the amount of blizzards and Ice storms we have been though compaired to the HazChem. spills.

In no way am I saying you are wrong, just that I was the opposite.

tex

Tom was talking about Immediate Threat not frequency.

Even with the power out, you can probably manage to hold out for a few days while the Blizzard/ice story passes and service is restored.

If it is a chemical spill at the end of the drive way rather than a 3ft snow bank, you will be facing problems with which you are, most likely, not equipped or prepared to handle.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk