Author Topic: Shooting Gallery; Lever Action Self Defense  (Read 46703 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shooting Gallery; Lever Action Self Defense
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
I think I've decided on a Puma 44 mag, I'm looking for the best all-around rifle for defense, going out to the range or back yard to shoot for a few hours. I think a 30-30 or high caliber rifle just wouldn't suit me because I can't hunt with a rifle. I saw the winchester trapper at the gun show yesterday, they had $775 on it but that was above their selling point so it was still above $500.

How much do Puma's and Marlin lever action .44 mags runs?

I really like the looks of the stainless Puma rifle, much easier to maintain.

Have you had any mishaps with your 44 mag Puma rifle?

Thanks

Take care
-Matt

Matt,

Prices vary quite a bit depending on location and availability so that's a hard question to really answer with any utility.

You might try googling the manufacturer, Legacy in this case (Puma is the brand), to get MSRP.  You can also google "firearm auction sites" (there are 3-4 major ones that will come up near the top) and see what they and similar rifles are going for new and used.  That can make it easier to get a general idea of the "street value" as opposed to retail.  Just be aware that a lot of sellers seem to think their gun is made of gold no matter the condition or desireability.

Finally, visit your local stores and see what is on the shelf and what they can order for.  I don't think I'm unique in having a "route" of my favorite spots that I drop in on monthly or so just to see what might have come in.
Matthew Carberry

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2009, 08:23:43 PM »
If you're a cowboy action shooter, check out the SASS Classifieds (www.sassnet.com) or CAS City (cascity.com). '92 clones in .44 Magnum do float through from time to time. I strongly recommend a trip to Steve Young at Steve's Gunz (http://www.stevesgunz.com/), who is a master of the 1892 at amazingly affordable prices.

There's a bunch of 1892s out there...the cream of the current crop are the ones from Cimarron (http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/) or Taylors (http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cfTaylors92Collection.tpl).

I have one from Legacy in .44 Mag that I've used in Wild Bunch matches (http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma/puma_m92m86.html). It's sweet..especially since Steve Young got rid of that Rube Goldberg "safety" on the bolt and slicked it up.

I've also got one of the old Navy Arms' Pumas in .357 that is an excellent rifle...again, it's been to Steve's Gunz.

Davidson's had Winchester do a run of '92s, but I think they're all gone: http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/Default.aspx?item=534162124&mfg=Winchester&mdl=1892&cat=2&type=Rifle&cal=All&fin=Blue&sit=All

Also, watch for the Browning 1892s (here's a sold example from GunsAmerica: http://www.gunsamerica.com/993126011/Guns/Rifles/Browning-Rifles/Lever-Action/Browning_Mdl_92_44_Mag.htm0)...they are SUPERB guns!

Michael B
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

1911love

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2009, 02:36:01 PM »
How are all great poeple doing?
Sorry I have been sick and away from my laptop. But I'm back with a smile and alot of quiestions.
I,m really haveing a hard time makeing my mind up on a good old 870rem or a leavr gun. And if I get a leavr, what cal should I go with? I like the 30-30 just fine.But it's just not my fave.Now I saw some cowboy shooters running 44mag.Now I like that consept, but I like that cowgirl and champ, Jess better. So sorry to say I wasn't paying to much mind on the range of that one. The other cal. I'M given alot of thought about, is my 45-70. See this will be for home and very long stents in the woods .Please help, I fear I have over thought this one. Ow when you have time check out ,The 9/12Prodject.com It's like minded people talking and fighting for our rights to keep and bare aarms.
THANK YOU ALL!!!

1911love

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »
Ooops,
I forgot to ask. I have made my mind up on a Marlin if I go leaver, But what are the pros & cons to the strait stock like the cowboy to the 336. I've only shot a 336 Marlin and that was my 45-70.
Thanks

1911love

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2009, 03:14:39 PM »
Ok now I'm going to go with the marlin 1894, in 44mag. If that can't kill an elk at 100 yards, then I'll have to go back to redhalk.
But I would like to know whats is The Ballord-type rifling, and how dose it rate to the micro-groove I'm use to?
  Thank you!

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 09:43:12 AM »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2009, 04:20:43 PM »
Ballard-type rifling is supposedly better at handling cast bullets than the Micro-Groove rifling, although my understanding is that it is less a function of rifling and more of oversized groove diameter on the Micro-Groove guns. The 1894 Marlin is a great gun...I have one as my "bedroom gun" loaded with 240-gr Black Hills JHP and I believe it will deliver the mail. I have also shot it in cowboy matches with .44 Special cowboy loads and it worked fine with those as well.

If I was going after elk I would be looking at either Keith-style 250-gr bullets cast very hard and cranked up to at least 1300 fps or the factory heavy-duty 240-270-gr .44 Mags from Buffalo Bore or Corbon Hunter:

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=6
https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/index.php?cPath=22_86&osCsid=d8af6433ace7441ee2ed878e58eb10da

Michael B

sendtoscott

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »
Aren't you afraid of overpenetration w/ a 44 mag carbine, or do you have enough empty space around your house not to put the neighbors at risk?

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »
My house is cut into a hill, and all the lines of fire end up in the dirt rather than a neighbor's house. Secondly, house gun is loaded with 240-gr JHP antipersonnel rounds, which are not as penetrative as the hunting loads...btw, when hiking yesterday and saw lots and lots o fresh bear sign, so I reloaded Thumper — my aging Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum trail gun that I've been carrying in the woods lately — from 200-gr .44 Special CorBon to 275-gr Winchester Platinum Partition hunting loads. One never knows, does one?

Michael
B

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »
Does Marlin's stainless 1894 .44 Magnum have the Ballard rifling?

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2009, 08:40:21 PM »
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk