Author Topic: Shooting Gallery; Lever Action Self Defense  (Read 46622 times)

ccd

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Shooting Gallery; Lever Action Self Defense
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
Does anyone know of a company that makes a light attachment for a Marlin mag tube?

One of these should work. I have previously seen the XS forearm rail in photos, if you call/email XS they should be able to give you some info.
http://www.tacstar.com/universal-barrel-mounts.php

flk357

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 02:51:34 PM »
Like all of you, I found the program on Lever Action's for Self Defense to be very interesting. I have often thought that if AR's were to be outlawed, the lever gun would be a feasable alternative rifle for home defense. I have a Win. 30-30, a Marlin 1894 in .38 Spl/.357 Mag and a Marlin 1894 in .44 Spl/.44 Mag. The 30-30 is heavy on recoil, however, the Marlins are smooth and comfortable to shoot. With pistol calibers, the ammo is cheaper and one could use the lighter loads (38 Spl and 44 Spl) for practice. Inside a house, at short ranges, I think the .357 and .44 Mag would both work out.  With respect to the railed handguard, one could fasten the add-on rails that are available for AR handguards to the sides and bottom of the lever gun forarm for the fastening of a light. For sights, upper rails which are fastened to the upper, would need to be used.

Overload

• Lefty Expert
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:11:50 PM »
I expected there to be SOMETHING about bullet selection and limitations due to the tube magazine, and then a plug for the LEVERevolution rounds.

Overload in CO
We have seen the future: and it's expensive. -Michael Bane
Home of the Tickle Me Pamela Anderson. -Michael Bane
Weasels are the switchblade-carrying psychos of the animal world, the meanest creatures on the planet by aggression-level-to-body-weight ratio. -Marko Kloos

Overload in Colorado

jed

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »
I watched the lever gun self defense episode last night.  What struck me the most was the incredibly unsafe gun handling of the "cowboy" guy.  Did anyone notice that he was resting his hand over the muzzle of his rifle??  Not once, but twice!!  I understand that the action was open, but nonetheless, I cannot believe that scene was not reshot.

Brianjp

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
thanks ccd!

I did get a chance to finally watch the entire episode on DVR, and I have to say it is my favorite shooting gallery episode yet.  I really like the idea of exploring the options for lever actions as home defense guns, and I would like to see more accessories specific to the lever gun. 

I live in California and I don't have the option of an AR.  I'm even worried about the mini-14 getting banned at this point.  My lever actions look pretty good right now.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:37:40 PM »

ronterry

• Forum Member
  • Where ever you go, there you are?
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 12:12:24 AM »
You guys can experiment with you and your families safety with nostalgia, but with the advent of the automatic pistol, I'll stick with my Glock 20 with NS on my night stand...
To be numerically correct, my wife has a G-19 on her side... Now how would that look, if I had my 1894 Marlin on my side?

To be fair, I'll go watch the show, but I do remember seeing a similar show with lever actions for home defense. I was like, whattt - yea, I'm going to fight the taliban with a Carcano?

Just a warning; If you go tacti-cool with a lever action, you could open a worm hole, or black hole for the matter! Heed my warning...

----------------------
Ron

bryand71

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 12:30:39 AM »
Saw the episode on the Tactical Lever Actions, I liked it, now I need to save for a LA in .38/.357 to go with my .38 revolver. Keep up the good work on the show, I like it when you present options other than the standard 1911/12 ga./AR for defense purposes.

Ronterry, it doesn't matter to the Anti's what is on the weapon, if it is not a single shot Flintlock, they are gonna try to ban it. Then they will go after that when nothing is left.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 12:37:09 AM »
Saw the episode on the Tactical Lever Actions, I liked it, now I need to save for a LA in .38/.357 to go with my .38 revolver. Keep up the good work on the show, I like it when you present options other than the standard 1911/12 ga./AR for defense purposes.

Ronterry, it doesn't matter to the Anti's what is on the weapon, if it is not a single shot Flintlock, they are gonna try to ban it. Then they will go after that when nothing is left.

They are already trying. In NY a while back Police received worried phone calls about a "possible terrorist" with a .50 Cal rifle. When they investigated it was found to be a Blackpowder muzzle loader.  :(

Malvolio2

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
So I have one nagging question I have after watching the show. I get the bit about the simplicity for an inexperienced operator and the handiness of the slim profile in a rural patrol car, but why is it that Micheal Bane, who has several ARs and quite obviously knows a thing or two about how to run them, specifically keeps a '94 trapper at his bedside instead? The show doesn't seem to have addressed that point too specifically (not that I blame them for that--30 minutes is not nearly enough time to go into much detail).

silverback

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »
I really liked the show.  Now if they only made one in 10mm to go with my G20 ;D   does give me another reason for one more gun. :-\
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk