Author Topic: what should i git a glock or 1911  (Read 36807 times)

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: what should i git a glock or 1911
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 11:54:03 AM »
I havent read every single reply on here so what I am about to say could just be repeat. From what I did read though there is some good advice that I would like to point out. Get to a range that has rentals, rent a 1911, most new 1911's come with a flat mainspring housing, (older 1911's come with arched, now it is a preference)  so any brand will do as long as you make sure that it is the size you want. If you are looking at a commander size rent it, full size government rent it, then rent a glock, really caliber is up to you noone can make that choice, but again get the size you want. If want a Compact size (19) or full size (21,17) then rent it as well.

Glocks and 1911's are two very different handling, ergonomic, fit, finish, trigger, and weight pieces of machinery. with the 1911 you will be shooting center mast and then pick up the Glock and you will shoot high. It just happens. But you want to do a side by side with them and see which one you are functioning better. You have to remember that, with practice, both of these you need to be able to operate blind, but it still needs to be natural fitting. Yes all guns fit different. Most likely when you do this comparison you are going to find out if you are Glock guiy or 1911 guy. Basically you will learn if you are going to be the guy that votes Glock or 1911 when the "which is better" thread comes up again, and it will.

From here I suggest the next day or week or whenever you get to the range again. You rent one of them. Shoot it solely cause like I said when you transition back and forth in a side by side comparison you will shoot one low most likely and on high, which will make you feel that one of them is not as acurate. Not true, just your muscle memory and brain is messing with you. But by the time you get to this stage you will most likely have one that you favor this is just reassurance and a deciding factor. Of course then go to the range the next day or whenever, I suggest you go seperate days so you are not comfortable with one while you start to shoot the other, and shoot the other gun solely.

These two guns are really the "Cornor Stones" of Auto-pistols. It seems that they are the base that most other guns of there type are compared to. i.e. Strikers (XD) are always compared to Glock, and Steel framed hammer pistols (S&W 4506), and everything in between, are always compared to 1911's. I beleive that every gun safe should have both of these guns in them, more leniency to not having to be Striker Fire type pistol (Glock) persay but a polymer duty pistol is a must(XD, FNP(non-striker but falls in the catagory), M&P). I believe being able to handle both a Glock and 1911 well, will give you an advantage to any gun you pick up. But everyone seems to lean towards one or the other in favortism.

In the end my opinion is a Glock. I have stated more than once on here my reasons why and why I think more people Closer to my age choose them as well. I got permission from my Cpt. overseas to carry a 19 with me. So I became very familiar with it. But since I have been home and able to get into the civilian side of shooting and owning my own handguns, I have worked hard to get as comfortable with my Kimber Desert Warrior. I still lean towards the Glock but have no second thoughts on walking out my door with the 1911. So I hope this helps alittle. I kinda just got into putting down my thoughts here and it got long so, sorry about that :), but I hope there info you might find useful.
Did we win???

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »
Good points, Ksail...it boils down to what is going to work for you. I don't have any Glocks, but like YOU said about your Glocks vs 1911, I feel equally as comfortable with either my 1911 or my Sig 9mm. They work differently, the Sig being DA/SA. Also, I can't carry here in NJ, but for home defense I'm equally as comfortable with either. I do tend toward the 1911 for the .45 caliber, but I could get into the fight just as quickly with either.

Now when my wife gets to pick the watchdog, she always grabs her S&W 686 7 shot. There's no guesswork there either.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 12:59:28 PM »
Good points, Ksail...it boils down to what is going to work for you. I don't have any Glocks, but like YOU said about your Glocks vs 1911, I feel equally as comfortable with either my 1911 or my Sig 9mm. They work differently, the Sig being DA/SA. Also, I can't carry here in NJ, but for home defense I'm equally as comfortable with either. I do tend toward the 1911 for the .45 caliber, but I could get into the fight just as quickly with either.

Now when my wife gets to pick the watchdog, she always grabs her S&W 686 7 shot. There's no guesswork there either.

I stand by my original post  ;)..... although it was deleted.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 01:25:16 PM »
There's nothing like a good hat.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 03:02:24 PM »
There was an old saying I used to use on the wife when we were farming - Honest, all I did was buy the hat and they threw the $100,000 combine in as a bonus!  I had forgotten that one.  Maybe I should start buying some gun hats ::)
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 02:49:36 AM »

Superheat

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »
There is no comparing these two.  The Glock is a gun that WORKS with incredible reliability and the 1911 is a gun you tinker with.  If you want a defensive hand gun go with what works, Glock.  I just sold my 1911 this month and bought a Glock 30sf .45 and LOVE it.  No comparison.  I did not need a project,  I needed something I could rely on to protect my children.  Enough said.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2008, 10:18:38 PM »
With the number of LEOs that are carrying Glocks and even more getting them they can't be too bad.

yeah that would have nothing to do with the fact that they were the lowest bidder... I have no doubts that larger departments are getting them in  low 300s.    Like it or not, but cost is often the biggest determing factor on what is issued to officers.

I'd also like to point out that in the last 5 years, all but one of LEA with in 25 miles of me have droped glocks for other things.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 12:49:52 AM »
There is no comparing these two.  The Glock is a gun that WORKS with incredible reliability and the 1911 is a gun you tinker with.  If you want a defensive hand gun go with what works, Glock.  I just sold my 1911 this month and bought a Glock 30sf .45 and LOVE it.  No comparison.  I did not need a project,  I needed something I could rely on to protect my children.  Enough said.

You just didn't get the right 1911, mines got 1500 flawless rounds through it and all I did was change the grips, and put yellow nail polish on the front sight, total investment not counting Ammo, 376.95. Rock Island rocks  ;D

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 04:46:35 AM »
M+P's have become popular in LEO dept's.  (I'm partial to mine) ;D, Also,
You just didn't get the right 1911, mines got 1500 flawless rounds through it and all I did was change the grips, and put yellow nail polish on the front sight, total investment not counting Ammo, 376.95. Rock Island rocks  ;D

Very True. I have 2 1911's, 1 is "tweaked" by choice and has no issues at all. The other is stock and like tombogan mentions, cleaning and grips is all I've ever done to my other 1911, and it will shoot all day with any ammo. Certainly not a "project" superheat. Welcome to the forum.

The G pistols are great. some love em', some don't.  As I mentioned previously, personal choice is paramount to these two pistols.
Try them both, and feel good about either one.

PS the "both" concept is always nice. 8)
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Bender

• Forum Member
  • Behold... the Internet
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2008, 10:18:45 AM »
1911  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk