Author Topic: what should i git a glock or 1911  (Read 36807 times)

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: what should i git a glock or 1911
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2008, 10:38:40 AM »
You know, we're working on THE BEST DEFENSE, and I had a long discussion on guns with my co-hosts, Rob Pincus and Michael Janich. Both of them have a lot of experience and, independently of each other, we all reached the decision to be less "gun-centric" in the self-defense series. Our rationales were similar — the current crop of firearms, especially what we might term "service semiautos," are maybe the most reliable, most accurate firearms ever made. And while each of us has guns we like better than others, it would be incorrect to say that gun is "better" or "best" over a different variety.

Obviously, I'm "Old Skool" — I come from the Jeff Cooper Planet of the 1911s. Because of practical competition, I have vastly more rounds through 1911 platform pistols than any other guns and my hands (for lack of a better word) "remember" 1911s. OTOH, I accept that the 1911 system has some significant drawbacks — a complex manual of arms when compared to a revolver or a modern service pistol, the often-times necessity to "tweak" the gun, etc. I'm uncomfortable with any single-action system in off-body carry (bag, purse, briefcase), even though I've never heard of a single incident with one going "bang" at the wrong time. Still, I believe in Murphy, and I've demonstrated to my own satisfaction that you can knock the safety off an SA gun and pull the trigger (same with a striker-fired gun). Not the case with a DA trigger system (I'll give a tentative pass on striker-fired guns with a separate manual safety). Your results may differ...objects in the rear-view mirror...etc.

While we were shooting the firearms drill section of TBD, we had about 8 or 9 guns on the table and we used them interchangeably.

How do you plan to carry it? How much do you plan to shoot it? Are you going to compete with it? What's your experience level? How sensitive are you to recoil (which is a function of rounds shot, to be fair)?  What systems — SA, DA/SA, striker-fired, DAO, light/precocked DA, DA revolver —  are you most comfortable with? If you are going to be carrying the gun, how does it work with your own body configurations and lifestyle? What do you like?

A lot of the "huge" differences in handgun systems are largely in gun writers' imaginations and paid shooter endorsements...and I am certainly not without sin on either point!!!

If tomorrow Mars, God of War told me I had to spend the next year carrying a vintage Sheriffs Model Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt instead of my Carry 9 or any of the other modern guns I've carried, I'd pretty much shrug and order a holster...tooled leather, of course.

Michael B

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »
You know, we're working on THE BEST DEFENSE, and I had a long discussion on guns with my co-hosts, Rob Pincus and Michael Janich. Both of them have a lot of experience and, independently of each other, we all reached the decision to be less "gun-centric" in the self-defense series. Our rationales were similar — the current crop of firearms, especially what we might term "service semiautos," are maybe the most reliable, most accurate firearms ever made. And while each of us has guns we like better than others, it would be incorrect to say that gun is "better" or "best" over a different variety.

Obviously, I'm "Old Skool" — I come from the Jeff Cooper Planet of the 1911s. Because of practical competition, I have vastly more rounds through 1911 platform pistols than any other guns and my hands (for lack of a better word) "remember" 1911s. OTOH, I accept that the 1911 system has some significant drawbacks — a complex manual of arms when compared to a revolver or a modern service pistol, the often-times necessity to "tweak" the gun, etc. I'm uncomfortable with any single-action system in off-body carry (bag, purse, briefcase), even though I've never heard of a single incident with one going "bang" at the wrong time. Still, I believe in Murphy, and I've demonstrated to my own satisfaction that you can knock the safety off an SA gun and pull the trigger (same with a striker-fired gun). Not the case with a DA trigger system (I'll give a tentative pass on striker-fired guns with a separate manual safety). Your results may differ...objects in the rear-view mirror...etc.

While we were shooting the firearms drill section of TBD, we had about 8 or 9 guns on the table and we used them interchangeably.

How do you plan to carry it? How much do you plan to shoot it? Are you going to compete with it? What's your experience level? How sensitive are you to recoil (which is a function of rounds shot, to be fair)?  What systems — SA, DA/SA, striker-fired, DAO, light/precocked DA, DA revolver —  are you most comfortable with? If you are going to be carrying the gun, how does it work with your own body configurations and lifestyle? What do you like?

A lot of the "huge" differences in handgun systems are largely in gun writers' imaginations and paid shooter endorsements...and I am certainly not without sin on either point!!!

If tomorrow Mars, God of War told me I had to spend the next year carrying a vintage Sheriffs Model Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt instead of my Carry 9 or any of the other modern guns I've carried, I'd pretty much shrug and order a holster...tooled leather, of course.

Michael B

Comment of the day award!

Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tumblebug

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2008, 06:24:57 PM »
I like the one,s I hit with 1 Kimber Pro tle/rl & 2 Glock 22 40S&W.

jimbob_texas

• Gun-totin' redneck
  • Forum Member
  • The Mud Bowl 2008
    • Texican Tattler
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2008, 03:42:26 PM »
It's my first post here on the forum, and I definitely have some input for the person who asked the question.  However, doesn't anyone else think it's odd that he/she has ONE post on this forum, and it's potentially flammable?  Trolling is easy in the Glock vs. 1911 debate.   ::)

Let's assume the poster asked in earnest.  I'm just optimistic enough to believe in the goodness of people.   ;)

The poster mentioned competition shooting, I believe.  If you're going to shoot competition, what type? IDPA/USPSA are by far the most popular, so assuming that, you've got some choices.  I've been shooting both for about 9 years now, incidentally, and I shoot between 12 and 15 thousand rounds a year, so I can attest to handgun reliability.  I have both a Glock and a 2011 (Infinity variant of the 1911 in .40 S&W).  Both are great guns, both are as reliable as they are different.  I've personally participated in 2 "Glock vs. 1911" reliability competitions where everyone fired 1000 rounds in one day through their platform of choice.  Glock won 1 year, 1911 another year.  So much for science.

If you're learning how to shoot handguns, I've found the Glock is a great teaching/learning platform for fundamentals.  Grip, sight alignment, taking up the slack, breaking the shot, etc. are easier to teach and learn on the Glock.  Drawing a handgun from a holster and preparing to shoot on the move is a new skill for shooters new to competition - let's just say I've seen fewer ADs with Glocks.  Ditto for reloads on the move.

For competition, a Glock 35 (.40 S&W) is a great choice for both sports, as you can shoot in IDPA's ESP or SSP divisions (see the rules for specifics).  You can also shoot the Glock 35 in USPSA's Production, Limited 10 or Limited divisions.  IDPA limits rounds in the gun to 10.  In USPSA Limited, you can get a mag extension and load up 19 rounds or so.  More bullets, more fun!

Having said all that, I've been shooting the Infinity for a couple of years now, and probably won't go back.  Single-action triggers are certainly more palatable than the Glock safe-action trigger.  The grip angle is different between the 2 platforms, too.  You have to roll your wrist a bit more with the Glock to get the same sight picture.  I can put 20 rounds in the Infinity's double-stack magazine for Limited.  I often think of the Glock as my "learning" gun.  Of course, I get whipped regularly by a lot of Glock shooters - that Sevigny kid is pretty good.   ;)  Nonetheless, I think the Infinity lets me go pretty fast.

The Glock costs about $650 retail, the Infinity around $2500.  Quite a difference there, but consider that I've been shooting them both in competition for several years - that should tell you they're both fine platforms.  There are too many factors involved to attempt to foist an opinion of what's "better" with respect to your choice for handguns.  As it has often been said, it ain't the car, it's the driver.  Good luck on making a choice.

jr
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

tumblebug

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2008, 07:46:34 PM »
 What ever toot's your bugle.

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 01:04:36 AM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2008, 01:55:01 AM »
It's my first post here on the forum, and I definitely have some input for the person who asked the question.  However, doesn't anyone else think it's odd that he/she has ONE post on this forum, and it's potentially flammable?  Trolling is easy in the Glock vs. 1911 debate.   ::)

Let's assume the poster asked in earnest.  I'm just optimistic enough to believe in the goodness of people.   ;)

The poster mentioned competition shooting, I believe.  If you're going to shoot competition, what type? IDPA/USPSA are by far the most popular, so assuming that, you've got some choices.  I've been shooting both for about 9 years now, incidentally, and I shoot between 12 and 15 thousand rounds a year, so I can attest to handgun reliability.  I have both a Glock and a 2011 (Infinity variant of the 1911 in .40 S&W).  Both are great guns, both are as reliable as they are different.  I've personally participated in 2 "Glock vs. 1911" reliability competitions where everyone fired 1000 rounds in one day through their platform of choice.  Glock won 1 year, 1911 another year.  So much for science.

If you're learning how to shoot handguns, I've found the Glock is a great teaching/learning platform for fundamentals.  Grip, sight alignment, taking up the slack, breaking the shot, etc. are easier to teach and learn on the Glock.  Drawing a handgun from a holster and preparing to shoot on the move is a new skill for shooters new to competition - let's just say I've seen fewer ADs with Glocks.  Ditto for reloads on the move.

For competition, a Glock 35 (.40 S&W) is a great choice for both sports, as you can shoot in IDPA's ESP or SSP divisions (see the rules for specifics).  You can also shoot the Glock 35 in USPSA's Production, Limited 10 or Limited divisions.  IDPA limits rounds in the gun to 10.  In USPSA Limited, you can get a mag extension and load up 19 rounds or so.  More bullets, more fun!

Having said all that, I've been shooting the Infinity for a couple of years now, and probably won't go back.  Single-action triggers are certainly more palatable than the Glock safe-action trigger.  The grip angle is different between the 2 platforms, too.  You have to roll your wrist a bit more with the Glock to get the same sight picture.  I can put 20 rounds in the Infinity's double-stack magazine for Limited.  I often think of the Glock as my "learning" gun.  Of course, I get whipped regularly by a lot of Glock shooters - that Sevigny kid is pretty good.   ;)  Nonetheless, I think the Infinity lets me go pretty fast.

The Glock costs about $650 retail, the Infinity around $2500.  Quite a difference there, but consider that I've been shooting them both in competition for several years - that should tell you they're both fine platforms.  There are too many factors involved to attempt to foist an opinion of what's "better" with respect to your choice for handguns.  As it has often been said, it ain't the car, it's the driver.  Good luck on making a choice.

jr
\

Even if the original poster was a Troll it's still a fun debate, something like THIS will not cause any hard feelings on THIS forum.
Heck, We (several of who own Glocks as well as other handguns) Like to pick on  Hawkfish, (who slipped and mentioned he has handguns that are NOT Glocks ) about drinking the Black plastic Kool aide

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2008, 12:09:07 PM »
You really opened a can of worms here..... I have a feeling this is going to be a very popular thread.

I think everyone knows my vote....

I'll get into the discussion once it gets a little more heated in here! ;D
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

tombogan03884

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:10 AM »
You want "HEATED " Ericire  ;D He'd be foolish to get a Glock OR a 1911  Wheel guns are REAL guns.  ;D

Think THAT will light things up   ;D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2008, 03:33:16 AM »
You want "HEATED " Ericire  ;D He'd be foolish to get a Glock OR a 1911  Wheel guns are REAL guns.  ;D

Think THAT will light things up   ;D

whats really fun is going to AR15.com and saying AKs are better then ARs.  Thats always a roit.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2008, 11:30:11 AM »

whats really fun is going to AR15.com and saying AKs are better then ARs.  Thats always a roit.

For some applications they ARE  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk