Author Topic: Do Fobus & Serpa Holsters Scratch Up Your Gun ??  (Read 18739 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Do Fobus & Serpa Holsters Scratch Up Your Gun ??
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 07:59:02 PM »
The only FOBUS I can attest to owning and using, is for my full size S&W 1911. It "clasps" it at the trigger guard, and is a Yaqui style not completely enveloping the barrel and frame.

It is the SS finish pistol, and after two years, shows no sign of wear to the pistol or holster. (I do not carry this pistol everyday in the swamps of S. Fl.), but have noticed no marks.

I would offer that a daily carry sidearm, in such a holster, with another type of finish, would inevitably show signs of "holster use as some leather, even Nydex holsters can produce. My P3AT in a Nemesis holster, does have slight wear marks on the slide, and is just a pocket holster.

But not SS...I do not own a SERPA, but think the results would be the same over time.

Are you concerned with the blemish? Or the function?

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 05:37:02 AM »
Are you concerned with the blemish? Or the function?

I'm sure they work well based on how many of them are in use. I just wondered based on the fact they appear to be solid plastic on the inside. I can see where it would not effect a steel framed gun because of the hardness of the metal itself in comparison to the holster material. But with polymer it becomes a different story. I've never seen a gun, or photos of one that has been carried for any length of time in either type. So that is why I was asking.

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 06:06:00 AM »
I'll try to take one of my XD when I get home from work and my bike ride
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
I have a plastic holster for my G23 w/light. I don't have a lot of hip time with this new one but I think you would have to literally roll in sand every day and never clean out the holster for any frame wear to occur.
I worry more about grit get embedded in the leather strip Safariland uses to cover the metal hardware inside the rig.

Even if some scracthing occurs, the gun starts out ugly and just gains character.  ;)
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 04:58:06 PM »
There is that. If you're worried about a Glock becoming ugly, well, you have some strange tastes. ;D
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:47:47 AM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
I shot a Serpa for about 6 years...2 years with a Para 45, and the remaining with a G17 or G34... for both 3 gun and USPSA competition typically 3 matches a month, but don't do much practicing or dry firing any more...neither holster contributed any identifiable wear to the pistols... recently converted to a BladeTech DOH WRS as the Serpa did not cover the muzzle/front sight of the longer G34

bafsu92

• Top Forum Member
  • Si vis Pacem, Para bellum
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 02:24:01 PM »
If it's a gun that uses one of the painted/enamel type finishes I wouldn't do it. A Serpa totally ate the finish off my S&W 337ti that had the black finish they're doing on the newer revolvers, same stuff they use on the nightguard series. On the otherhand I've had Glock's carried in Serpa's filled with mud, sand and god knows what else that look like any other Glock, no wear, maybe a couple spots that aren't quite as matte as others. Funny story, I was working in a foreign country that was quite cold and had a Glock 19 in a Serpa on my vest. We had a tire blow out on our crappy Soviet built SUV. In breaking the spare loose we spilled a pool of water on a tarp all over us. I guess enough got trapped in the serpa that by the time we got back to our destination the pistol was frozen solid inside the Serpa with the button encased in ice.

Luckily I found this out in the safety of our location and not out on the road. I could've let it thaw naturally but I was curious to see if I could release it quickly in case I would've really needed it. Obviously I didn't want to run a torch over it even though that's what one of the brilliant guys we were there to train suggested. I took off my vest, laid it on a log and picked up a hatchet that was laying there. I used the back end, like a hammer and gave it a couple light whacks right on the area where the button was. A few ice crystals went flying and with a little wiggling (muzzle pointed safely into the wood pile) and it slipped right out. Even though the pistol had some ice left on it the slide racked just fine and once I verified the barrel was clear of any ice I geared back up and went on with my day. We put a memo out to give your holsters a little shake and wipe if you got into any water while out in the cold.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

"Capitalization is the difference between helping
your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse." - Unknown

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - Unknown

pioneer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »
Any holster will, over time, wear or alter the finish of any pistol.  If you have a collectible gun that you don't want scratched, don't carry it.  All of my handguns are carry guns.  I think a bit of wear to the finish, gives a pistol a certain amount of character. 
Life Member NRA / SAF Member
Naval Aviation 1965-1969
Retired Police Detective '71-'01
HR-218 Certified

United States Constitution (c) 1791
         All Rights Reserved.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
I think a bit of wear to the finish, gives a pistol a certain amount of character.

Tell that to your ageing wife about her wrinkles.  ;D

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 09:05:10 PM »
Have any of you seen the wear marks at the muzzle and the forward outer edge of the cylinder of a blued revolver? That's called "holster wear" and come from the inside of an unlined leather holster. Have any of you worn Dyer mocassins with out socks? (Some of the old time smoke pole shooters will know what they are.) That is a really good source of blisters from the rough side of the leather. That stuff is abrasive. Kydex is smooth and much less abrasive. Don't worry about it. Carry a gun enough and it get worn! Live with it or don't carry!

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk