Author Topic: Lube Job  (Read 16294 times)

Ron J

Re: Lube Job
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 09:40:44 PM »
How is that Gun Butter stuff with regards to attracting pocket lint? Does your carry gun seem to attract more or less with that stuff on it?

What I found is that if I carry closer to the front, my belly-button acts like a magnet to pull any and all lint away from my weapon.   ;D

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 12:43:43 AM »
motor oil is not a good choice.  It needs to be heated and pressurized to provide lubrication.

WD 40 is also a poor choice for lubrication, its great for removing water( not protecting metal, removing water)  which is was it was designed for.  So if you get your gun wet, by all means use WD, but don't use it as a cleaner or a lube.

I've heard that WD leaves a film that over time builds up and can foul the weapon.  True?
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 01:09:31 AM »
I've heard that WD leaves a film that over time builds up and can foul the weapon.  True?

It does leave a film when it evaporates( that also contains all the grit that was in it when it was sprayed on.)  so I would have to say yes. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 07:29:37 AM »
With the exception of Aerokroil, using gun specific cleaner, oil, grease, is preferred. Like washing your car with Dawn dishwashing liquid, sure its clean, but your clear-coat and wax have been washed away too.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008, 10:41:03 AM »

I've heard (Here and on Gun Talk ) that WD 40 is just about the worst possible thing you can use on firearms as it builds up a nasty residue. I don't know myself as I've always used either Breakfree or Hoppes products.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:03:18 PM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 10:49:35 AM »
We use Hoppes cleaner and then a little Hoppes oil...regular and when we have it, the super stuff (I forget the name...black bottle. We have never had a problem, but then we clean every time we shoot, so it's always about like new with a slight sheen of oil on the contact spots. We rarely shoot more than a couple hundred rounds at a time.
If I was going to go shoot a LOT, I'd probably take a little oil with me in case.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008, 11:19:30 AM »
I like to use Tetra Gunblaster for removing fouling after range practice and then Tetra Light Lubricating and Cleaning Oil spray for lightly lubing the outside of all my guns.  I use Tetra Bore Conditioner for barrel lubrication and buffing with a mop and then Gun Butter for all internal lubrication purposes.  I even use Gun Butter instead of grease for the lugs on my 1911.  Gun Butter is tremendous as it lubes as well as anything I've tried, stays in place exactly wherever you apply it regardless of gravity and repels dirt.  I routinely pocket carry a PPK that is lubricated with Gun Butter and never have the lightest problem with lint.  They now make a Gun Butter grease that I have yet to try as the Gun Butter oil works so well, but I may try some for use on my 1911 lugs and trigger.

I went with the Tetra products I mentioned when I read that Nighthawk gunsmiths use Tetra products exclusively as they had tried everything and believe Tetra works the best on their custom 1911s.  As I have a Government 1911 made by Nighthawk I figured I'd give Tetra products a try and have been very pleased.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Mojave Desert

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008, 11:55:40 AM »
I have used WD-40 for cleaning guns for years and not noticed any "build-up" on my parts surfaces.  If the extent of your gun cleaning ritual is hosing WD-40 down the barrel, then build-up of grease and other gunk will occur, but that will happen with any oil based solvent treated in the same manner.  The problem with that is improper cleaning technique, not product.  As for killing primers, I don't clean loaded guns.  A good read on primer kills is here http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot39.htm.  Like i've posted before Break Free CLP is the lube I use after cleaning.

I have noticed a crust forms on parts with repeated applications of Gun Scrubber(a hose on and let dry solvent, unlike WD-40). 

WD-40 is cheap, availible almost anywhere, and is a great gun cleaning solvent.

No, I don't work for WD-40.

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
I mainly use Hoppes to clean and oil but I'm also a tinkerer and like to see what different things do.  The MiliTech guy demoed it for us a while back and they are always give away items at local matches so I have plenty.  I use regular gun oil on th eGlock and the Militech on the 1911 and haven't noticed anything major.  Some people don't like MiliTech as it has less corrosion preventive properties but I haven't seen any in the last four years here with plenty of humidity and precipitation.  I was thinking of getting some of Brian Enos' lube or Gun Butter but haven't yet

For a while I was cleaning with a commercial grade degreaser my wife's company had a crap load of samples from and it did ok for the major surfaces but didn't do so hot in the barrel plus it stripped off ANY lube film so it needed a good coat of something afterward.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

tman

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 07:33:42 AM »
I decided to try Gun Butter, let you know the results.

http://www.gunbutter.com/gunbutter.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk