Author Topic: Remington 870  (Read 35766 times)

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington 870
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:31 PM »
Carried Remingtons in the Air Force and currently own a 870 in 12 gauge and one in 20 gauge. Dependable and accurate. Normally keep the rifled barrels on for both hunting and personal defense.

bulldog75

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: Remington 870
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 09:52:18 PM »
Great shotguns, I have 2 but being a lefty I use Mossbergs. The safety is the reason I use the Mossbergs or H & R single shots for hunting.
Citizens sleep peacfully at night knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
I love my 870s.  I kept one as a trap/pheasent gun the other I turned into a 'camp' shotgun with a first gen Spec Ops Blackhawk Knox stock and a Surefire dedicated forend I have since added an extened mag tube
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
Excellent setup Dakotaranger. The only perk I got on one of my 870's was Tru Glo sights. I kept everything else the same since I use it for both deer hunting and home defense.

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:43:34 PM »
Excellent setup Dakotaranger. The only perk I got on one of my 870's was Tru Glo sights. I kept everything else the same since I use it for both deer hunting and home defense.
My Supermag 870 is such a great shooter I didn't want to mess it up, and the guys I go biking with one is 6 feet tall and I'm only 5'6" so length of pull is an issue.  When you run 3 in 000 Buckshoot through it the recoil reduction is a really, really good thing to have.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:35:35 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:41:35 AM »
Nice rig Dakota. I'm with Bulldog though. They'd be near perfect if they put the safety on top where God intended it to be. :-\
FQ13

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:38 AM »
Nice rig Dakota. I'm with Bulldog thought. they'd be near perfect if they put the safety on top where God intended it to be. :-\
FQ13

You know they make lefty 870s. Once you deprogram the 'reach under the trigger guard safety release' they work just fine.
With the Mossy I have to actually reprogram my brain for the safety all over again. (my usual hunting shotgun is a lefty 11-87) On the Mossy, I just leave the safety OFF and keep an empty chamber for beside use.
The new ones are express but there are a couple of LH Wingmaster Remmys on gunsamerica and an 11-87 lefty.

I've been toying with the idea to go the bulldog route and make the Wingmaster a fighting shotgun but with already having a short barrel Mossy, it's been on the back burner for years. I already have an extended mag tube and the BlackHawk stock. Those SureFire forends are pricey!

Bulldog, are the switches for the light on the forend ambi?
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 02:50:54 AM »
IMHO, the trigger guard safety sucks regardless of which hand you use. The tang mounted safety is right there and can be used by lefties and righties alike. You just slide your thumb up. Plus, you just have to glance down to see if its engaged or not, without having to look sideways at the trigger guard. ::) I had one on my Browning BPS when I was a kid, and one on my my Mossy 590. Its not too different than the three position safety on my Ruger M77. For that matter my RWS has one too. Heck, even the AR safety can be used by a lefty. You just use the trigger finger rather than the thumb. A trigger guard safety is, in my opinion, a PITA. And like you, I leave it off on my current Maverick bedside shotty. As far as as I am concerned the gun has no safety. Its an empty chamber and once racked its a matter of keeping your finger off the bang switch. I really would prefer the top mounted safety though.
FQ13
PS As far as the forends, they are ambi. Just like the AR only in reverse. If you are RH, you trigger them with your thumb. LH, use your index finger.

Dakotaranger

• Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 06:09:17 AM »
It wasn't too bad getting it from Ebay.  NIB.  Since the intented use is because of mt lions I wanted something that would be usuable for everyone that's not overly trained in shooting, especially at night half asleep heading to the outhouse.  Besides single might as well build what I wanted.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
IMHO, the trigger guard safety sucks regardless of which hand you use. The tang mounted safety is right there and can be used by lefties and righties alike. You just slide your thumb up. Plus, you just have to glance down to see if its engaged or not, without having to look sideways at the trigger guard. ::) I had one on my Browning BPS when I was a kid, and one on my my Mossy 590. Its not too different than the three position safety on my Ruger M77. For that matter my RWS has one too. Heck, even the AR safety can be used by a lefty. You just use the trigger finger rather than the thumb. A trigger guard safety is, in my opinion, a PITA. And like you, I leave it off on my current Maverick bedside shotty. As far as as I am concerned the gun has no safety. Its an empty chamber and once racked its a matter of keeping your finger off the bang switch. I really would prefer the top mounted safety though.
FQ13
PS As far as the forends, they are ambi. Just like the AR only in reverse. If you are RH, you trigger them with your thumb. LH, use your index finger.

FQ, try using a tang safety with a stock with a pistol grip and then tell me it's "right there"  ...  you just have to loosen your grip, move your thumb from the bottom and around the grip up to the top of the stock to flip the safety, then back into position again.

hmmm...you are using your thumb, right?
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk