Author Topic: When Will American Shotguns Measure Up? Sad.  (Read 24026 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
When Will American Shotguns Measure Up? Sad.
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »
I love my 870 Marine Magnum. Prefer it over the Mossberg. Own a S&W pump action Highway Patrol wood stock scattergun. Nothing says, bad idea, to a bad guy like an American 12g. Even my Stoeger Coach's gun....BUT,.....

The USMC, chose the Benelli M4..... :-\ OK, it's bad a**, and was beat up, fired ALOT, unloved, and abused. However, as good and obnoxious as a promo vid can be, where's the ol' Ithaca Trench Re-birth, of a 12g?

Remington, Stoeger,....etc,...???? Seems like a FAIL to me on our part to put up something that compares.

Geez....Between the Beretta M9, and the Benelli M4, the HK's for special work,.....I'm starting to wonder like Teddy Roosevelt did consulting Winchester.

"Dear Winchester, Thank you for improving my .405 caliber, as we both know, this is a fine caliber, but you, again, ignored stock dimensions, fit and finish..What does an American President have to do to get a proper rifle? Go to England?"

Excerpts from TR's Journal.

Now our USMC, tested, and beat up any and all shotguns they were offered,...and the best is a Benelli.????

Sad an American manufacturer, has to be outdone by an anti gun continent,... :'(

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

Re: When Will American Shotguns Measure Up? Sad.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:50:23 AM »
Remember it's not the "best", it's the last expensive of the best.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 01:59:31 AM »
Remember it's not the "best", it's the last expensive of the best.

or the one that meets the spec.

the 870 for example does not due to the safety location.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 02:59:36 AM »
or the one that meets the spec.
the 870 for example does not due to the safety location.

Which milspec?  The '83, the '95 or is there a newer one?  
The Mossy passed all the older ones.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Timothy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:40:44 AM »
Doesn't the Sec Def's name end with a vowel?

Just saying....Beretta and Benelli both make fine guns but..........we pushed everything overseas in the last twenty five years, we've lost our manufacturing mojo for the most part.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:38:46 AM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 06:07:19 PM »
Remember it's not the "best", it's the least expensive of the best.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=252338031

Most run $1,600.00+. The M-2 is a couple hundred cheaper. You can get a nice 870 Police for around half of that.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 06:23:56 PM »
Doesn't the Sec Def's name end with a vowel?

Just saying....Beretta and Benelli both make fine guns but..........we pushed everything overseas in the last twenty five years, we've lost our manufacturing mojo for the most part.

they have been pushed overseas.....It's like the government is trying to make the manufacture of firearms in this country unnecessary for some reason.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 06:41:24 PM »
they have been pushed overseas.....It's like the government is trying to make the manufacture of firearms in this country unnecessary for some reason.

fify

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 PM »
fify
+100

It has happened on both sides of the aisle for decades.  Everything is based on cheap - not inexpensive, but cheap.  However, marketing tells us that it is really inexpensive.  What really irks me is that at the same time that they tell us how much more we can buy with our money today, and the more they tell us how they are shoring up and increasing production on our soil, they continue to sign agreements that let everything into our country with no quality control, and they sign regulations that handcuff American manufacturers through expensive labor laws and pollution standards that they will not hold foreign manufacturers to.

We have destroyed our own manufacturing and employment base through our own short sighted consumer mentality.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »
+100

It has happened on both sides of the aisle for decades.  Everything is based on cheap - not inexpensive, but cheap.  However, marketing tells us that it is really inexpensive.  What really irks me is that at the same time that they tell us how much more we can buy with our money today, and the more they tell us how they are shoring up and increasing production on our soil, they continue to sign agreements that let everything into our country with no quality control, and they sign regulations that handcuff American manufacturers through expensive labor laws and pollution standards that they will not hold foreign manufacturers to.

We have destroyed our own manufacturing and employment base through our own short sighted consumer mentality.

Its like the Wal-Mart ads that say an average family can save $1200 a year shopping there and buying cheap Chinese crap from a non-union workforce largely (at least here in So. Fl.) made up of non-English speaking immigrants. Its probably true. But guess what?
Saving that $1200 means you are underwriting the loss of manufacturing and other good jobs, along with family owned businesses.Basically, it means that you'll only be able to afford to shop at Wally World (or insert company X) because you'll probably be working for them or someone just like them. They tend to leave that part out of the ads. >:(
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk