Author Topic: When Will American Shotguns Measure Up? Sad.  (Read 24014 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: When Will American Shotguns Measure Up? Sad.
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 04:59:50 AM »
Its like the Wal-Mart ads that say an average family can save $1200 a year shopping there and buying cheap Chinese crap from a non-union workforce largely (at least here in So. Fl.) made up of non-English speaking immigrants. Its probably true. But guess what?
Saving that $1200 means you are underwriting the loss of manufacturing and other good jobs, along with family owned businesses.Basically, it means that you'll only be able to afford to shop at Wally World (or insert company X) because you'll probably be working for them or someone just like them. They tend to leave that part out of the ads. >:(
FQ13

Everything that you are saying is true. It is what capitalism is based on. Selling to the most customers at the very best price with just enough quality attached to your goods to keep people coming back. The problem is you will never convince people to pay more for less in order to help support our economy. The reason is because they are more worried about their economy. It is the reason Rock Island Armory sells more 1911's than Les Baer. Infuse a $h!tty economy into the equation, and the whole situation multiplies itself.

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 01:45:35 AM »
Not to start a flame job here but, How about just getting a reliable weapon and learning how to run it REALLY well.All of the guns mentioned are fine. Each has it's own quirks and operation that need to be understood and overcome.The best is just an opinion.
Semper Fi

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:17 AM »
Not to start a flame job here but, How about just getting a reliable weapon and learning how to run it REALLY well. All of the guns mentioned are fine. Each has it's own quirks and operation that need to be understood and overcome.The best is just an opinion.

Very true. One does not "need" a $1,650.00 Benelli to defend your home with. A $250.00 Maverick 88 will work just as well in the proper hands. In fact, for self defense I would trust most any pump over a semi auto, based on the simpler is better concept. My Mossberg 590 A-1 Mil-Spec is capable of doing anything I could possibly want a defensive shotgun to accomplish. And I could have 3 of them for the price of a single Benelli M-4.

I'm not knocking the Benelli, it is a fine weapon. But considering it's priced higher than a entry level Browning Citori, I just can't justify it. Remington 870 Police Models, and the Mossberg Mil-Spec Models are well proven in battle, the streets, as well as in the field, and have been for decades. I just don't see how a person could go wrong with any of them. Besides, you can take the $1,000.00+ you'll be saving and spend it on slugs and buckshot, and you'll be a hell of a lot more deadly with the practice that ammo will buy you.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »
Or Remington could just move the safety to the top to accomdate ambi operation or gloved hands. How much would that cost them? Its not like its new tech, just a better idea.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 11:23:43 AM »
Or Remington could just move the safety to the top to accomdate ambi operation or gloved hands. How much would that cost them? Its not like its new tech, just a better idea.

I don't think Remington is interested in redesigning the 870 for the military market. They've sold millions of them to both civilians and law enforcement over the years.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 06:20:26 AM »

Strider

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:54 PM »
billt, I agree aboutgetting a good quality gun and using the left over money for other things- like some quality training to RELLY learn how to run th gun. Gunsite, Magpul,and others have excelent training. Louis Awerbuck is an absolute surgeon with a scattergun.
Semper Fi

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »
I prefer a pump shot gun.

The only advantage I see in a semi is that you would be better able to continue the fight one handed with the semi.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
I don't think Remington is interested in redesigning the 870 for the military market. They've sold millions of them to both civilians and law enforcement over the years.
And they'll sell millions more to the military, left handers like me, and folks who live up north and wear bulky gloves the day they move that damn safety? How hard can it be?

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »
And they'll sell millions more to the military, left handers like me, and folks who live up north and wear bulky gloves the day they move that damn safety? How hard can it be?

Not hard at all. They're just not interested in doing it, or else they would have.

tombogan03884

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »

It could get damned expensive if they ran into a copyright infringement with Mossberg who has been using the tang mounted safety for about 100 years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk