Author Topic: Greenie inanity  (Read 8863 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1112
Re: Greenie inanity
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »
If you have a diesel generator how long can the unused fuel sit around and still be good? AFAIK it doesn't go bad quickly like gas does. I've had treated gasoline in storage up to 2 years that still worked but I think it's better if it's used in 6 months, treated or not. The good news is whatever gas you keep in cans can be dumped in your car and replaced with fresh gas whenever you want. You wouldn't have to worry about using stale gas in a gas-fueled generator.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 01:38:28 PM »
As long as it has no water in it  and a dieselside(bacteria  can grow in it)   it will last longer then we will.  The issue with modern diesel is the methonal  they add when making bio diesel( which can be up too 10% with out even telling you at the pump)   

I have 2500 gallon tank right now for my excavators  and several truck mounted tanks.  I buy the off highway fuel as it does not contain bio fuels( unless you want it too)  and it's cheaper.  Just don't get caught with it in your tank.  Standard  policy  with my employees, you put it into a company truck, the duel won't be the only thing pink.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »
The good news is whatever gas you keep in cans can be dumped in your car and replaced with fresh gas whenever you want.

I thought about that. But if the gas is treated with Sta-Bil Storage, and Ethanol Shield, will it hurt the catalytic converter, or screw up the oxygen sensors?

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 01:55:12 PM »
Sta-Bil says: For all gasoline engines, including 2-Cycle. Use in your vehicles, motorcycles, small engines, generators, boats; and: Effective in all gasoline, including Ethanol and Non-Ethanol.

Ethanol Shield, which I don't think I've heard of, says: Works in all 2 & 4 cycle engines; and also: EPA-registered, including automobile use.

I can't connect to Ethanol Shield's website for more information.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 10:31:06 AM »
The issue with modern diesel is the methonal  they add when making bio diesel( which can be up too 10% with out even telling you at the pump) 

BULLSHIT!!!

Bio diesel is not made from alcohol!

Bio diesel is a vegetable oil (typically soybean oil) or animal fats from rendering.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 05:41:41 AM »

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »
There is an algae that can grow in diesel fuel.  The fuel is still good, and the engine will run on it.  However, it will plug your filters quickly.  There are many fuel additives on the market that will keep the algae from growing.

When we were farming I ran a Schaffers product through the diesel.  We usually bought 5,000 gallons at a time, and there were a couple seasons a year where the fuel could sit for awhile, especially the #1.

For gas, I use SeaFoam in all my small engine gas.  I am currently using some mixed gas that I found on a shelf just before we moved.  I have two cans for mixed gas, because I would use so much when I got working on projects.  I set the cans aside and lost track of one.  The best I can remember is that it is over two years since I had everything out and going on a project.  The trimmer is running great on it.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »
BULLSHIT!!!

Bio diesel is a vegetable oil (typically soybean oil) or animal fats from rendering.

What is Biodiesel?

We make biodiesel from vegetable oil; biodiesel is NOT vegetable oil. We can add vegetable oil to diesel as a diesel fuel extender, but only for a few tanks. Blending vegetable oil with diesel over the long run damages the engine and shortens its usable life. Vegetable oil is thicker or more viscous than diesel and does not burn efficiently in a fuel system designed for diesel fuel. So, we chemically alter vegetable oil into biodiesel using a process called transesterification.

Vegetable oil is three long chains of hydrocarbons (carbon and hydrogen atoms) glued to an alcohol molecule called glycerin. The chemical process swaps out the glycerin molecule with three methanol molecules. Since the reaction is reversible, we use an excess of methanol to drive the reaction in the direction of methyl esters (biodiesel). Transesterification needs a strong base as a catalyst to get the reaction going. The glycerin separates from the biodiesel with the help of gravity.

http://www.make-biodiesel.org/Introduction-to-Biodiesel/what-is-biodiesel.html

Make Your Own Biodiesel

Biodiesel is made from vegetable and animal oils and fats, or triglycerides. Biodiesel cannot be made from any other kinds of oil (such as used engine oil).

Chemically, triglycerides consist of three long-chain fatty acid molecules joined by a glycerine molecule. The biodiesel process uses a catalyst (lye) to break off the glycerine molecule and combine each of the three fatty-acid chains with a molecule of methanol, creating mono-alkyl esters, or Fatty Acid Methyl Esters (FAME) -- biodiesel. The glycerine sinks to the bottom and is removed.

The process is called transesterification.

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

How To Make Biodiesel With A Commercial Kit

There's quite a bit of chemistry involved in transforming vegetable oil into biodiesel, in a process known as transesterification. Vegetable oil (VO) is made up of chains of fatty acids held together by glycerol molecules. Methanol breaks those chains of fatty acids apart. The corrosive, alkaline lye (sodium hydroxide, although you can also use potassium hydroxide) breaks the glycerol (a heavy alcohol) off those chains and the methanol (a light alcohol) in turn takes the place of the glycerol, leaving shorter, lighter, more combustible molecules. The result is an oil that burns well as a direct replacement for petroleum-based diesel fuel, with 12 to 15 percent glycerin left over at the bottom of the tank. The lye acts only as a catalyst in this case, and isn't consumed in the process.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a4717/4332200/

First, vegetable or animal fats and oils are triglycerides (TGs), composed of three chains of fatty acids bound together by a glycerine molecule.

Triglycerides are esters. Esters are acids, such as fatty acids, combined with an alcohol, and glycerine (glycerol) is a heavy alcohol.

The transesterification process converts triglyceride esters into mono-alkyl esters (biodiesel) by means of a catalyst (lye) and an alcohol reagent, usually methanol, which yields methyl esters biodiesel -- the methanol replaces the glycerine.

In transesterification the triglyceride molecule is broken into three separate methyl ester molecules plus glycerine as a by-product. The lye catalyst breaks the bond holding the fatty acid chains to the glycerine, the glycerine falls away, and each fatty acid chain then bonds with a methanol molecule.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 02:33:13 PM »
BULLSHIT!!!

look at how they process it and what they do to make it work in cold weather.   You will not be happy
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
To me putting biodiesel in an expensive diesel engine, is like drinking recycled waste water after the piss and $h!t has been cleaned out of it. I know with today's technology it can be done, but I'll let someone else do it and tell me how wonderful it is.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »
The methanol is used to break down the waxes and allow the fats to blend with the petroleum.  If you do not use some type of emulsifier, like an alcohol, to start the process, the two fuels will not blend.  It is the same as a fuel line antifreeze.  The base is alcohol, because the water will not blend with gasoline without an emulsifier.   The bio in biodiesel is vegetable or animal fats.  It is not methanol or ethanol.

In the area we just left, we had several bio blenders, including on farm operations.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk