Author Topic: Realistic "Force on Force" training...  (Read 7651 times)

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Realistic "Force on Force" training...
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 11:40:57 AM »
There is one "force-on-force" option that hasn't been mentioned in this thread: video simulators. Companies like AIS make PRISim simulators that allow you to fire live ammo from your own weapon. There usually isn't much room for you to move in but otherwise these simulators offer compelling advantages:

1. You use your own ammo with your own firearm. This is huge and you can't do that with any live FoF training. Managing recoil and how you resolve unexpected failures to feed are two examples that can't be done with simunitions/airsoft.
2. Realistic scenarios with good actors and appropriate surroundings. Take a look around the room you're in right now. Chances are there's a lot of furniture, furnishings and other minutae of life "cluttering" the room. All of those objects take time to identify, can slow down your target/threat recognition or sight picture. Very few training facilities can "dress a set" that completely.
3. Many video scenarios have both threats and innocents at the same time. Not only do you have to determine if/when someone is a threat, you also have to consider angles of fire and making sure you don't cover/shoot an innocent.
4. (Almost) realtime shot analysis and software that determines where rounds hit and how targets will be affected. In one scenario I shot at a man wielding a shotgun. I knew my first shot was center of mass but the target didn't go down. The computer determined that round hit the shotgun stock and therefore wasn't considered a hit.
5. Post-scenario analysis allows you to replay video and see exactly where/when you hit.

Video simulators aren't perfect of course and there are some drawbacks like the limited movement I mentioned earlier. You can step off the "X" but can't move much more than that. Since it's "canned" video you don't have a choice regarding what you see or how the camera moves. And on the system I used there was a slight delay after shots fired for the appropriate reaction video to play. It can also be expensive. The simulator I used near Las Vegas cost $75 for a 30 minute session. But I think it was money well spent.

The most eye-opening aspect is #2 and #3 above. During scenarios the visual scene is just like real life--very cluttered and busy with multiple people doing different things all at once. Events unfold much quicker than you expect and you can get sensory overload trying to maintain tactical awareness of everything you see and hear in the scene. You're in a resturaunt and see a man draw a gun. You draw yours in response. As you acquire a sight picture did you notice a panicked female run towards the exit and cross between both of you? Do you try to hurry up your shot, wait until she's clear or not notice at all and hit her by mistake?

Charles Rives

• Personal Protection Instructor - Amarillo TX
  • Forum Member
    • Porcupine Protection
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 09:24:41 AM »
Hi Friends,

This is my inaugural posting on this forum and I'll look forward to getting to know you all.

F-o-F with airsoft is just like ANY other form of training.  You get out of it what you put into it.  I run an Airsoft F-o-F workshop once or twice a year at the martial arts school where I teach.  When I do, I plan "stages" that are usually more drill than scenario.  In developing any particular stage, I try to pick one or two specific skills and build a stage around them.

Philosophically, I try to make the airsoft workshop part training and part structured play.  (I'll recommend the book  Deep Survival: Who Lives Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales who does a great job explaining the role of "play" in learning survival skills . . . wolves, lions, bears and just about every intelligent wild animal all play to stay skillful when they fight.)

I ran a workshop just last weekend.  I've posted a couple of video clips on YouTube.  You can see the clips here:

Chuck's F-o-F video 1
And
Chuck's F-o-F video 2

Comments, questions, suggestions, expletives and exculpations are all welcome.

Again, I'm thrilled to find this forum and look forward to talking with you more!

Chuck
See my Website: PorcupineProtection.com
See my YouTube Videos: youtube.com/porcupineprotection

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »
Welcome Chuck. Lot's of great info here.

Enjoyed the youtube vid's. Would like to see them again with better lighting ;)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 05:19:28 AM »
Thanks for posting, Chuck...

You asked for thoughts, here's three:

1. Good for you and your guys for training and trying to find ways to do it in a realistic way.

2. Watch the "equal initiative" type drills between students... as noted earlier in the thread, I think they have limited value for defensive training.

3. Try to keep the "swinging at extension" to a minimum (your second clip).

-RJP

Charles Rives

• Personal Protection Instructor - Amarillo TX
  • Forum Member
    • Porcupine Protection
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »
Thanks for posting, Chuck...
-RJP
Thanks so much for the feedback, Rob.  I really value your opinion. 

See my Website: PorcupineProtection.com
See my YouTube Videos: youtube.com/porcupineprotection

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:12:54 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk