Author Topic: question about what to do  (Read 7758 times)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: question about what to do
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 09:02:53 PM »
fightingquaker, ur right its my fault i don't spend more time teaching her defensive techniques. as for the saferoom i was looking at putting an object that can be slim enough to hide behind the door but can block the door when put in use. i think she's ready to learn more about defense and i'm ready to teach her as much as i know and continue to learn from the best defense. i live in the boondocks and things like that you don't hear about alot round my parts. but i guess it can happen anywhere just look at 9-11. things really don't click till the balls in my court. i was using the excuse " i'll wait till it get warm to take her to the range" that may be too little too late.

Its not your fault, we all sometimes just need a wakeup call, no worries. You did getme to thinking about that safe room thing. I initially thought of a deadbolt, but I suck with a router. Besides which it would only latch into molding. Then I remembered my grandads solution. He too lived in the stcks and at night would put a good old fashioned bar across the front door. What he did was to get a set of good old fashioned heavy metal brackets and sink them into the studs with long screws, like 3" long. He had punched out a couple of extra holes so each had six srews. He then just used a length of heavy metal pipe across the door. Simple, easy, cheap and strong enough to slow someone down long enough to get a couple of rounds off. I haven't seen any brackets as deep as the ones he used so I might put a second set facing downwards off set from the next stud and the then just slide a piece of rebar in horizontally in lieu of the pipe. The whole set up should be less than $75 dollars and take less than an hour. Thanks for the idea.
fightingquaker13

groundhogsniper23

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2009, 09:15:53 PM »
yea that will work fightingquaker, but i was thinking or a metal chair laying on its face. i live in a singlewide trailer made in 1970's so don't reallh have alot of room to work with. in my bedroom as soon as you walk in i'm facing my closet side. its pretty strudy. its 281/2 in from door to the side of closet so either chair or something hard that can be braced or block it. the only problem i can see with this room being my safe room is the window. it is an easy access for either to go in or out of, but i think it will have to work. door is kinda of chinsey so it will last like you said just long enough to get focused and get a few well placed shots off. i'm VERY confident with my shooting skills with my glock. i have shot a smiley face at 50 ft with it at my local indoor range. the owner, who is a reatired leo, was watching me shoot and said man you haven't shot before habe you? lol.

Sc0rp10n3

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 12:07:39 AM »
I agree with the doubt about the "insurance salesman".  I had a break in service after my second tour in VN and sold insurance for a while.  One of the first things my agancy manager told me when I started was to get a new car.  As he put it, "You can never be a successful salesman if you don't look successful!"  So from the description your wife gave of this guy, I seriously doubt if he was selling insurance.  I would be more likely to think he had some other, most likely illegal, reason for being there.  The advice to NEVER open the door to a stranger should be carved into everyone's forehead.  I won't do it and I'm a pretty big guy (6'3" - 265) and I'm ALWAYS armed.  If they have anything to say to me, they can say it through the door. 

I made up a sign that I wanted to put on the front door, but my wife won't let me.  ???  It reads:

WARNING
TRESPASSERS will be shot on sight!
SURVIVORS will be finished off slowly and painfully!
SOLICITORS will be gut-shot and left to bleed to death!

I thought that would get my idea across plainly enough, but she didn't agree, so it hangs above my desk.  ;D
Sc0rp10n3
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Life Member:  DAV, NAUS, TREA, USDR, VVA, Mensa

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 11:26:50 AM »
Finally got my wife into the habit of having a firearm when answering the unexpected knock or doorbell ring. We both got a rude awakening in the newspapers a couple of years ago when a couple of guys tried to rob a old man down the road. He fortunately was armed and killed one BG and wounded the other.

We use the FAST Holsters also. You can find them on Cheaper than Dirt.com. We picked up a couple at the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show and have found them to be very valuable. 

The scenarios on the Best Defense have been educational for my wife and opened her eyes to the concepts. Just like practicing for Severe Weather, we practice for home defense also.

callithump

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Truth sits on the lips of dying men.
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 11:52:04 PM »
Every married couple cuts their teeth on stuff like this. It's the road to awareness and preparedness and she'll learn from it. Glad you're ready with the good advice.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:34:38 PM »

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:13 AM »
Teach her this phrase....."My husband is just getting out of the shower....and he will NOT be interested in whatever you are selling."
…this or whatever is said should be said through the locked door, and no matter what color a stranger is.

My wife is similar, in that while this is my hobby, it's not hers. That's fine, but she has gained an interest in knowing how to take care of worst case scenarios - just in case. She also wants to go to the range more. I asked her if she could handle seeing our daughters murdered, or how she'd feel about her being murdered and the kids left to have even worse done to them. It is absolutely brutal, but even in "safe" communities, terrible things happen.

groundhogsniper23

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 08:57:32 PM »
yea i remember the episode on best defense where there was a guy at the window and the guy asked to use the phone and there was another guy hidden at the door and when she thought she was safe they broke in and tried to do bad stuff to her. there hasn't been any activity anymore like that since that day so i don't know what his motives were but i better not catch him here of he might meet mr. glock and mrs. hydroshock.  ;D
i WILL defende my family and community be all means necessary.

thanks fellas for all your time and advice i'm always open for suggestions.

weads

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 08:46:29 PM »
VCRs are still available at Wally World and elsewhere for around $50 - assuming you get TOC, which you watch so I assume you do. Tape the episodes, repeats start next month.

Get stickers for the doors advertising ADT or some other security service.

Motion detector front and rear door lights.

Interior lights on variable timers. Just saw an add for a small light that mimics a TV set when you're away - flashes different intensities of blue like a TV screen.

One more thing - training! Hopefully your wife learned her lesson. As the Godfather said - women and children can afford to be careless, men can't. Only today, women can't either.

I personally would not post signs for a national alarm service such as ADT or CPI. Your smarter than average BG knows the type of hardware and installation techniques the large companies use. I always put up a generic "protected by security system" or use the monitoring company signs on installs I do.

Just my .02!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk