Author Topic: Show us your favorite rifle  (Read 25692 times)

kilopaparomeo

• Top Forum Member
  • My own private purgatory...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Show us your favorite rifle
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »
It's a tossup

Here's my audio podcast of the FN-FAL...it really is one of the rifles I keep reaching for in the safe  
http://gunreviewpodcast.com/fn-fal-kris-from-southwest-michigan/

Loves me Garands too...this one is a CMP "Special".  The two others are also SA...one from 1939 and one from 1944.
NRA Endowment Life Member
SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
Ultima Ratio Civis - "The last method of a citizen"

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 09:02:02 PM »

Puma (Rossi) .454/.45  18" ported barrel and peep sights.

(Hey!  Ya never know when ya might meet a rampaging velociraptor ;) )
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »
hmmm

would have to say my 1918 Lee Enfield no1 Mk3

also well done on the video mate   
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 10:37:17 PM »
Hey cool video. I know you want a new stock just because, but dont worry about the play in it. If you think the guys in Iraq and Afghanistan have multi position stocks that lock up like fort knox, think again.

9 times out of 10 the most noise that comes from a soldier running is his stock rattling away. LOL. Its true though you go through hours of taping, melting, and painting to make things quiet but the one thing that gets you every time is the damn gun that you check out of the Armory.

I never saw one that had a problem with actually moving a position but they are all loose. Even lock-up on upper receiver to lower receiver more times than not had play in it.
Did we win???

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 01:33:22 AM »
My Texas DPS collection, Ruger M-14/20GBTX and Sig Sauer P220 DA/SA, made in Germany.  The Sig was my father's service pistol fifteen years ago, and first pistol I ever shot, at six or seven years old.  The Ruger is surplus DPS, it was ten years old brand new in the box, even came with the magazines. ;D  She's such a dream to shoot you don't even have to aim, just visualize what you want to hit and the carbine does the rest, sometimes I aim just to be sure though. ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 03:43:04 AM »

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 02:53:33 AM »
GREAT VIDEO ;D 8)
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 06:07:34 AM »
hmmm

Hey!  I've got one of those (kinda) ...'cept mine is an Ishy .308 (7.62 NATO)

All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

r_boyette

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »
hmmm

Glad to see somebody else's favorite is an old battle rifle!

Even tho I've always thought of sporting rifles(& later AR's) as my favorite rifles, lately these Mil-Surp's have caught my fancy. I've been trying to put together a collection of WWII general infantry battle rifles(US-Garand, M1Carbine;GB-Enfield;USSR-Nagant;Jap-Arisaka;Ger-K98;...). Just been trading around to find the best example of each. I realize this is a extremely modest collection when compared to Mike "Duke" Venturino's. Since BAR's, Browning M2's, & Thompson sub-guns are way out of my budget, I have decided to stick with the rifle's that the General Infantry soldiers of each country(Allies & Axis) would carry. Once it is complete i have plans drawn up for a display on a large wall in my Recreation(MAN) Room. It is my small way of paying tribute to my grandfather, an Army Vet stationed in Pearl Harbor Dec 7th, 1941. He had been stationed there shortly after going thru Basic, and was slated for leave(furrlow i think he called it)and was going home(1st time since he left for Basic) for X-mas. The Japanese changed those plans. He was sent to the Pacific Theater, and his older brother to Europe. His brother was captured sometime in 1943 and was held in a German POW camp until the end of the war. He came down with Pneumonia and his feet were frost-bitten & his toes were amputated while in the camp. He died shortly after coming home from infection caused by the amputation. My grandfather spent the war going from island to island fighting the Japanese. He never went into many details about firefights, but he did tell me about there weapons. Stories about being issued a 1903 Springfield in Basic, and how a couple guys from Chicago, Ill left the range with bloody noses from the recoil. Talked about liking the M1 Garand but said there were alot more people singing their praises now than there were in '42. Said most bitched about the weight. He drove an Ammo truck for a time. Driving at night w/o lights through narrow trails cut thru jungles and mountains. Hauling ammo to the front lines, unloading it under fire, then loading & hauling dead bodies back. Talked about being given an M1 Carbine to keep in the truck, then later "picking up" a Thompson, and swapping the M1 Carbine for a M1897 shotgun. He never told me about any kills he might have had, but that he found the 12ga "more useful" when the trucks were ambushed. He never gave any details about the fighting, but he was a tough old Moonshiner, & if he said it was "horrible" then i dont think i want anymore details. He served until the war ended, and finally made it back home 4 months after WW2 ended.   

Anyway, he was my first hero and his stories & pictures are what sparked my interest in firearms, military in particular. The first couple mil-surp rifles i bought were an SKS($60w/bayonet) & a Mosin Nagant($45). While they both went bang everytime i pulled the trigger, i would cringe thinking about having to go into battle with either one. The SKS's I've owned while functional, were horribly inaccurate and the Mosin Nagant has the heaviest trigger ive ever seen. The trigger will not break with a 16lbs gauge, so i know its close to 20lb. In a recent comparison of Mosin-Nagant vs Mauser K98(Guns&Ammo Mag i think), found the Mosin to be more accurate than the famous Mauser. I would love to find out how accurate mine is, but the trigger makes hitting a 1-gallon milk-jug at 25yds a challenge, much less trying to shoot 100yd groups.

Not long ago, i bought an Enfield that has been an absolute pleasure to shoot! The sights were dead on though i believe them to be from a later model Enfield. The accuracy most of these WWI-WWII battle rifles have displayed has been kinda sketchy, until i upgraded to a higher quality sample of each rifle . However, the very first Enfield I bought, while not NRA-mint by any means, works very well and is suprisingly accurate. The last trip to the range(it goes almost everytime i do) i shot 2, 5-shot 100yd groups that measured 1.75" & 1.53" and a 10-group average of 2.45" shooting prone w/ tight sling. While this is not jaw-dropping accuracy by any means, I am quite pleased considering its design coming up on 100yrs old and my lack of proper training in this type of shooting. Ive even thought about taking it deer hunting. Your rifle looks great and i wish my wood & finish looked that good(looks like 50+ coats of cheap black-looking stain)   

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »
Way tough
Probably #1 just because of my faith in it. bone stock with national match sights. Barrel is Winchester dated 1965, earned expert in U.S. Service rifle with it and have 8 points toward distinquished.

#1 hunting rifle 6.5lbs with scope, mod 7, 7mm/08, single set trigger, glass bedded fiberglass stock. All done by me. It is the 6th one from the left.

#1 long range rifle M40 .308

" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

r_boyette

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
Hey, I thought this might produce some interesting results. I posted a YouTube video with my project gun in hopes of helping to put an honest face on the AR platform (Black Evil Rifle). Check it out and shoot some feedback back. Also please join me and post your favorite rifle. Please don't just start flooding in videos from youtube that are of rifles that live only in youtube servers. Show us your rifle favorite and what you've done to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4aCFjURab8
But a friend of mine has an M4-clone and brought it with him when he came home on leave. My own AR is a flat-top with a 24" heavy barrel set-up more for varmint/target shooting. He bought the M4 to play in some 3-gun type matches that take place at a range close to where he's stationed. 3-Gun has always interested me, but would have to drive about 150 miles to the closest range holding them. Regardless, ive been wanting an M4-clone pretty bad, and we burned thru a pile of ammo out of his.
Cool Video! The reason for my post is I noticed in your vid that you were experimenting on how to operate your Surefire light, and were going to upgrade your Vert Grip to a better model. You may have already seen it and ruled it out. But my buddy is running the Surefire Vert Grip on his M4. It was solid as a rock, and having used a Surefire G3 for a couple years now i have no concerns about the light quality. The Surefire Vert Grip has four primary beam switches: two momentary-on pressure pads to activate the main light (one on each side for ambidextrous operation), a constant-on rotary switch for the main light, and a system-disable switch that locks all lights in the OFF position to prevent accidental activation during covert operations, transport, or storage. In any case, here's a link to it. It's the Vert Grip that will go on my M4 as soon as a decide whether to buy it or build it from the ground up.

http://www.surefire.com/M900A-Vertical-Foregrip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk