Author Topic: National Review endorses Romney  (Read 7892 times)

clayflingythingy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
National Review endorses Romney
« on: December 12, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=YmMxYTUyYzA1YTk2YzE5NGVmNjc0OGFjYWJmNzMzNjI=&p=1

National Review endorses Romney. I was a subscriber some years back and the magazine was very conservative then and I assume it still is.

Some media are playing this up as a three way race between Huckabee, Romney, & Guliani. Bill Crystal of the Weekly Standard seems to be one of the few who believes Thompson or McCain are still viable.

It will be interesting three weeks from now to see how Ia and NH voters VOTE.

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
Re: National Review endorses Romney
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:02:40 AM »
Interestingly enough, I just got off the phone with the Thompson campaign, and they don't seem to think they're out of it. Boy, I hope they're right.

I think the NR Romney endorsement is proof positive of the amazing disconnect between the "intellectual northeastern conservatives" and those of us in the fly-over states. In fact, I tried to get NRO to let me at least post a dissenting position based on Romney's HORRIFIC gun record, but the feeling seemed to be that if we one-issue voters would only cast the scales from our eyes we would see that Romney really has our best interests at heart and that HE CAN BEAT THE HILLARY-BEAST!

I call B-S on that one! Romney strikes me as a classic liberal in the Clinton mold...a man no beliefs except that he wants power very very badly. So I'm supposed to believe Romney will appoint conservative judges and not support antigun initiatives...why? He hasn't done that in the past, and IMHO past is a pretty good predictor of what a person will do in the future. A choice between Romney and Hillary isn't a choice at all...it's two sides of the same coin.

That's why I support Thompson...

Michael B, out of his depth in politics...
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:37:20 AM »
I knew there was a reason I stopped reading NR about a year ago.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:58:50 AM »
WOW! There's a surprise, a RINO rag endorsing a RINO.  Who woulda thunk it!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

gemurdock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 01:07:40 PM »
I was raised with National Review in the house and have been a subscriber for over 30 years, but this is the last straw for me.  In the days of WFB (Bill Buckley), support for the Conserative cause was the guiding principle, even if it meant endorsing Goldwater or even WFB's quixotic run for governor.  But unfortunately it is now run by citiy dwellers that think that Giuliani is a viable Conservative canidate, only supeceded by Ms Lopez's fawning crush on Romney.  I am not sure if it is more revolting or disappointing, even Rush Limbaugh has been astounded at some of the things coming from them these days.  I would NEVER vote for Guiliani, and cannot picture ascenario where I would vote for Romney, not just because of his previous stance on guns, but on abortion, immigration, and a host of other issues.  It is a sad day for me, but I am going to assuage my frustration and sadness with another contribution to Fred, it is all I can do.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:46:51 AM »

gemurdock

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 01:31:25 PM »
btw, thank you Michael for keeping them honest, and as an NRA Endowment member I am disappointed that the NRA hasn't endorsed a candidate that is the only one with a sterling voting history for our cause.

clayflingythingy

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:57:29 PM »
Interestingly enough, I just got off the phone with the Thompson campaign, and they don't seem to think they're out of it. Boy, I hope they're right.

color]

Hells bells, MB, what else do you expect the campaign to say? Do you really think they would say: "The Thompson Campaign Ship has hit an iceberg, we are taking on water fast, and expect to be on the bottom of the ocean within minutes. The Thompson Campaign Ship has an all hands to the bilge pumps rescue attempt in progress-the campaign will camp out in Ia until the Jan 3 vote in an attempt to keep the campaign afloat."

A good bit of the debate coverage from today is making noises that Thompson came off really well in the debate by slapping down an incompetent moderator. A good deal of the coverage is saying Romney came off OK too.

gringle84

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »
I still think Fred has a chance, it's still early in the race and remember who ran lead in past races to only fall hard later.

Both Rudy and Mitt are RINO's and the Huckster has a lot of baggage coming to the surface showing his weakness on some critical issues.

As long a Fred keeps his cool and not sling too much mud and let the other's do that and he just keeps hammering away on his conservative ideals and call a spade a spade, I feel he will start the climb back up as the American people see who the REAL Conservatives are.

I will keep supporting Fred until the day he drops out! (Which I hope never happens!!!)

Robert

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 12:32:25 AM »
I'm a Thompson guy and I'm going to stay a Thompson guy.  I can't support anyone that has bragged about the gun control laws they pushed or how many criminals were pardoned under their administration.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 05:57:00 AM »
I still think Fred has a chance, it's still early in the race and remember who ran lead in past races to only fall hard later.

Fred has as much a chance as anyone, but he's got to get off his keyster and make some commotion. One of the commentators hit the nail on the head when they said, "Thompson acts like he wants to "Play" the president instead of "be" the president." He just isn't throwing his back into it.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk