Author Topic: Hot sauces  (Read 13217 times)

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Hot sauces
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 04:56:24 PM »
They used to say you could tell a marriage was successful when the couple got into their second bottle of Tobasco.  I think that was true for my parent's generation.  I use a lot of hot sauce, so that wouldn't be true around my house. 

While millions disagree with me, I don't particularly like Tobasco.  It is made with fermented peppers and vinegar and I don't care for the combination.  It tastes old and spoiled to me.  Plus, I think it's a little insipid in the heat department.  Franks, Texas Pete, Lousianna and Crystal are all crafted in a similar fashion with aged peppers and vinegar, and they all taste better than Tobasco.

My favorite is a sauce made in Belize.  Marie Sharp's Habenaro Sauce contains fresh, ripe habaneros, carrot juice, onions, lime juice, garlic and some salt.  It's available in Mild, Medium, Hot, and Fiery and while it will raise the roof in its Fiery version, it has immensely good flavor.  It adds a great deal more than just heat to whatever you are eating. 

I used to get if by the 12 bottle case from an importer in LA.  Since I am out here for the holidays, I went by his warehouse and picked up a full gallon of the Fiery Marie Sharp's for just about $30.  Should last in the frige for a couple of months at least.  I used to go through n 8 oz bottle every month.
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

charliefarmerboy33

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 09:49:55 AM »
I make my own. Cooking is my main hobby, (Closely followed by shooting and reloading) I raise my own chiles and tomatoes. I canned (pickled) about 25 pints of jalapenos. This has been the cure for my acid reflux. I use Serrano and Cayenne chiles for my hot sauce. I like the vinegar base. I dry the cayenne chiles so they keep. Then roast them lightly. Then process them with vinegar and kosher salt. My sister is my biggest fan. She says she puts it on everything but her breakfast cereal.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember what you said.

Fatman

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 09:04:15 PM »
here in Peru we make our own, but we use peppers that are not available (mostly) in the states. but anyway, when I lived in Texas my ex would make fresh salsa with Jalapenos. mmmmmm
sauce pan with
1 tomatoe
1 onion
4 or 5 Japs
teaspoon of salt
if you wish.. a little cilantro.
 boil for a about 8 minutes,
drop it all in a blender then strain into another dish..
or (my favorite) use mortar and pestal to grind it all up....
mmmmmmm
it's fresh and has no preservatives so it won't last very long.
but then... it's so good it shouldn't make it through meal time anyway.

here my wife makes a sauce that is awesome...
blend some peppers,
a little milk,
smoked cheese,
saltine crackers,
a touch of salt.
have to play with the mixture though, not sure how much milk she uses, just goes by texture.
want it to be thick but still be able to pour when it's warm. as it cools it thickens.

I remember a Brazilian neighbor of mine bringing some peppers here once. Nasty little bastiches that grew wild amongst coffee plants after the seeds were 'deposited' by birds. Those peppers made a VERY hot sauce.
Anti: I think some of you gentleman would choose to apply a gun shaped remedy to any problem or potential problem that presented itself? Your reverance (sic) for firearms is maintained with an almost religious zeal. The mind boggles! it really does...

Me: Naw, we just apply a gun-shaped remedy to those extreme life threatening situations that call for it. All the less urgent problems we're willing to discuss.

Steyr M40A1

• Top Forum Member
  • Steyr MxA1 Series Pistols
    • My pistol picts
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:37:12 PM »
Crazy Dave's Brain Damage.
Crazy Jerry's Brain Damage Hot Sauce.this hot sauce ain't for wimps...it's for people with an adventurous soul looking for cheap thrills. Mandarin Oranges, Honey, Mango Fruit, Habanero Peppers, Distilled Vinegar, Water, Garlic, Chipotle Peppers, Sugar, Spice. 5 oz.

That's good stuff!! I love the sweet and then HOT that hits your tongue!

I like this one on fish sticks. Beaver Wasabi Horseradish. http://beavertonfoods.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_11&products_id=70

And when its got to be HOT! 
Pappy's Moonshine Madness Barbecue Sauce - So Friggin' Hot, You'll go Blind! Nutritional Note: If you can stand the heat, cook with it. If not, leave it the hell alone. Tomato Sauce, Sugar, Vinegar, Fresh Garlic, Fresh Onion, Chile Pepper, Paprika, Modified food starch, Natural Hickory Flavoring, Oil of Capsicum, Kentucky Bourbon 3%, Worcestershire, Molasses, Corn Syrup, Water, Salt, Caramel Color, Garlic Powder, Sugar, Spices, Anchovies, and natural flavorings, Black Pepper, Spices, Lemon Powder, ( Corn Syrup, Lemon Juice with added Lemon oil), Habanero Peppers, Citric Acid.

I like HOT and I like Flavor.
Richard Cook

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch" -Babj615 Steyrclub.com

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb." Benjamin Franklin

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 10:42:13 PM »
When I was married the wife and I went to a Chinese restaurant one night Appatizer plate comes out with this green stuff on the side, Wife says "Oh, I love Guacamole"and takes a spoonful, I got out "that's not" and she figured it out for herself  ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:05:14 AM »

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 11:52:06 PM »
When I was married the wife and I went to a Chinese restaurant one night Appatizer plate comes out with this green stuff on the side, Wife says "Oh, I love Guacamole"and takes a spoonful, I got out "that's not" and she figured it out for herself  ;D

Same thing happened to me at an upscale Jap resteraunt here in Dallas, my wife and mothers birthdays were 3 days apart, and so we went, for appetizer i ordered the california spring roll which included avocado, got the dish and there was this big won ton full of what looked like guacamole, wrong!!! My wife and mother thought I was having a heart attack, more like a closer to god experience.

Now 1 of my hot sauce recipe's. Not a salsa, a cooked hot sauce for dipping chips.

1st fresh peppers from the garden, store bought is ok, get the oven hot 400 degrees and place the peppers in there, I use a basket for frying.  Let them roast until they char, then remove and use a butter knife to take the loose charred skin off, mean while puree some canned tomato, puree the skinned peppers,,,  put all in a soup pot and simmer, add salt, cilantro, I also use fresh lime at this part, start taking chips and tasting, if too light, add red pepper flakes until hot enough. Wonderful hot, but better later after cooling in the fridge, I like mixing peppers, serrano, Jalapeno, and tobasco peppers. Habeneros lose something when cooked, but have a recipe for agent orange, half habanero and half pureed carrot, cooked with a little salt and spices, hot to the nth degree.

I have put this on here before, somebody try it, it is awesome,  Take your favorite dill pickle, take 1 or 2 habanero peppers, pour out half the pickle juice into a blender or food processor, add 1 or 2 habi's, puree, and pour back into the jar, let sit 1 week, hot, tasty and bad to the bone.

Update, once the pickles have been eaten, boil some eggs, peel them and place them back into the pickle jar. Whooooeeeee.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 07:03:36 PM »
When I was married the wife and I went to a Chinese restaurant one night Appatizer plate comes out with this green stuff on the side, Wife says "Oh, I love Guacamole"and takes a spoonful, I got out "that's not" and she figured it out for herself  ;D

we dd that to a guy in college, we told him it was a herb butter.   ;D
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk