Author Topic: Baby Back Ribs (Fall off the bone type)  (Read 19096 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Baby Back Ribs (Fall off the bone type)
« on: December 31, 2009, 06:40:11 AM »
I have an almost "World Famous" Rib recipe that I would like to share with you guys, since this is a recipe thread.

2 Racks Baby Back Ribs in a large roasting pan, bone side down.
Salt + lots of pepper
Apple Cider Vinegar poured over both racks
Wrap roasting pan in foil very tightly. No holes, vents etc,....
Bake at 250-300 degrees for 3 hours. Don't check em.

Pull out uncover and let them "rest for a few minutes"
Fire up the grill, get it low steady heat.

THAN add BBQ sauce to ribs. ( I prefer Bone Suckin' Sauce ), I've tried so many sauces, but keep coming back to this one.

You will need a long grilling spatula, tongs will tear the ribs apart, as the meat will be falling off the bone.

Place ribs on grill, bone side down low heat, carefully flip ribs ONCE, add more sauce, just a few minutes meat side down to caramelize the sauce ever so slightly. No need to over grill.

Remove and enjoy, better than any restaurant ribs I've ever had.

Great for superbowl parties, or weekends when you have time to bake em' for three hours.

Makes beer taste really good.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Baby Back Ribs (Fall off the bone type)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:24:41 PM »
Been doing something remarkably similar for some time, now.  And I agree the ribs are better than most any restaurant ribs you'll ever find.  The cider vinegar tends to do something to minimize the fattiness, too.  And the only way to get ribs any more tender would involve a food processor and a straw.  We have a local radio guy named Tony Fatso who does a show he calls On The Grill and he has mentioned this particular style of cooking ribs. I started cooking ribs this way after hearing him tout the magnificent nature of these ribs.  Neat thing is you per your barbecue preferance can add a vinegar/mustard based sauce, or a nice tomato/brown sugar based sauce (my fav) when you put them on the grill.  Some soaked hickory chips on the coals is a nice finishing touch. 

Now I'm hungry and it's cold and rainy outside and I just don't feel right about sending Mrs. Rabbit out in this kind of weather.  So, this will have to wait for a nicer day.
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »
Thanks Twyacht. I'm going to try these. I love ribs.  Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
Do you pull that skin, (membrane), or whatever you call it off the back before you start??  Bill T.

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »
Do you pull that skin, (membrane), or whatever you call it off the back before you start??  Bill T.

I always take off the membrane.

I usually don't roast the ribs first, might try it next time.  I marinade them in italian dressing, a apple juice/cider vinegar mix (with "secret spices"), or even coke for a day or so before I cook them.  Then a little dry rub, a half hour resting, then low and slow, 180-200 degrees for 4-6 hours using mesquite, hickory, apple, or cherry chips and charcoal.

Sauce is optional AFTER I'm done cooking.  I might "mop" during cooking with apple juice or garlic butter if I'm in the mood.  Another trick is to put a pan of fruit juice (OJ and apple are best) below the ribs, away from direct flame to add a little moisture during smoking.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:19:55 AM »

david86440

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 12:56:28 AM »
Where I work they are really into ribs and  have an annual cookoff. It is coming in about 3 weeks. Each year it gets a little bigger. I think there are close to 20 competing this year.

A couple of the operators put it on and everyone gets to try everyones' ribs, then they have "official" judges to pick the winner and give out a trophy.

Not much work gets done on cookoff day but everyone fills up on ribs.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:14:53 AM »
 ;D

Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

bbbean

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 11:08:28 AM »
Y'all are killin' me with all this "put the ribs in a roaster pan in teh oven" business!

I'm a purist - peel membrane, work in dry rub, and 2 hours of indirect heat over a wood/charcoal fire at 220-250. Sprinkle with lemon juice, wrap in foil, return to fire for 45 minutes. Unwrap, finish for 5-10 minutes over the hottest patr of the fire, and you'll have ribs so good you'll slap yer mama!   
--
Barry Bean
Fastest of the slow shooters, best of the bad shots

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:21:13 PM »
Melanie just came home with some really nice, meaty ones. Report to follow with pics.  Bill T.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:26:25 PM »
Y'all are killin' me with all this "put the ribs in a roaster pan in teh oven" business!

I'm a purist - peel membrane, work in dry rub, and 2 hours of indirect heat over a wood/charcoal fire at 220-250. Sprinkle with lemon juice, wrap in foil, return to fire for 45 minutes. Unwrap, finish for 5-10 minutes over the hottest patr of the fire, and you'll have ribs so good you'll slap yer mama!   

I'm with ya on that.

My difference is I have 3 different ways I use depending on the mood and flavor I want.
I use the same base rub (mostly seasoned salt with several other additions).
Low-n-slow on indirect pecan wood/charcoal combo heat until about 3/4's done.
Then I either use a combo of lemon juice/butter, beer/butter, or honey/butter....slathered on the ribs and wrapped to finish.
They're good enough not to need BBQ sauce....but sometimes I use my own brew for that (may post it one day).

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk