Author Topic: 50 BMG Kaboom  (Read 7280 times)

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: 50 BMG Kaboom
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 09:07:07 AM »
The rifle is from BOHICA ARMS   

;D
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
Details are still sketchy. Some said he was "hammering" the bolt closed, others say no. Looks like regardless it was in some way out of battery when it let go. About the only other thing it could possibly be is a drastically long hang fire. That isn't so out of the question with .50 BMG rounds. The rule of thumb with a .50 for a hang fire is to not open the bolt for at least 2 full minutes.  Bill T.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »
Must have been a tremendous kaboom, like a fragmenting grenade to hit his arm and tear it up like that.

"I wonder if Bohica will warranty this".... :o

Probably not...
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »
yeah it had to be out of battery.  The bolt face even appears to have a mild flame cut on it( could just be bad machining)

having seen the after math ( 30 years latter mind you) of what happens when  a 50 bmg round goes off in some ones hand.  long story short, in korea, they had a slow burner during a battle, the machine gunner cycled to the next round, his loader grabed the shell to throw it away from them, it went off before he could throw it.  That was basicly just the case spliting, I don't even want to think about the flame get that can out of a partial unsported case.  I have no doubt this guy is really messed up
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:37:46 AM »

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
Looks rather painful and from the blood pool it will definitely leave a mark. Any word if the rounds used were reloads or factory ammo?

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:19:48 AM »
Looks rather painful and from the blood pool it will definitely leave a mark. Any word if the rounds used were reloads or factory ammo?

thats not a issue at all, the gun fired out of battery.  while I have no doubt that it hurt like crazy, Ive seen alot more blood from a nose bleed.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

NYPD13

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:27:11 AM »
Just one more reminder of how dangerous our hobby can be. If that statement about hammering the bolt closed is true than common sense and good judgement towards safety were missing from this range session.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 07:42:15 AM »

One of the many photos that helped define this incident showed several rounds lined up with numerals and letters marked on them, so I'm assuming they were some type of handloads. If the gun fired out of battery, which as of know looks like a fitting description of the accident, his eyes are probably OK because his face wasn't down on the stock. If his arms took the brunt of it hopefully he'll heal without any disabilities from it. One can only hope.  Bill T.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:02:40 AM »
Are paramedics/EMTs supposed to take their sweet time when walking onsite?

YES!!!  That said, the preception of "taking their sweet time" is a matter of preception.  They could have been walking at a brisk pace, but the witness expected a sprint.  We always taught walk in:  It is a more stable way of movement when empty handed and when loaded; it allows for observation of possible hazards; it allows you to gather information of entire scene; it keeps you calm and prepared to do your job once you arrive; and it sets the tone for the by standers and victims that this is a calm and controlled situtation.

Back on the actuall accident, it will be nice to see if the full and accurate description comes out.  This article is written with second hand information, and we are speculating on it and creating our own set of facts in some posts.  Shooter error, gun failure, ammo failure, reload issue, maintenance issue ...  We do not know from this article.  To lay blame based off of this is way out of my level of expertise.

As MB has stated when we got carried away with Ruger, we can do a lot of damage to a friend when we gossip like old hens no offense M'ette, and as RP has stated - when people do searches on certain things these threads come up.  I don't want to be a part of painting a bad picture of BOHICA ARMS if this is not their issue.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk