Author Topic: Need MilSurp Chamber Pressure help.  (Read 2347 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need MilSurp Chamber Pressure help.
« on: December 20, 2007, 07:35:48 AM »
Hey guys and girls,

I would like to by an old Ishapore .308 (Enfield .303 re-chambered).  I like BIG old clunky stuff and boy does the Ishy fit that category! ;D

I really only want it if it will fire .308 Win as well as 7.62.

My problem is I have read that "YES it will fire .308 Win" and I have read "NO 7.82 NATO only."

Here is an article on it but I don't know how true this is.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/308vs762nato/index.asp

Does any one have a definitive answer? ???

Thanks!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Need MilSurp Chamber Pressure help.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 09:27:34 PM »
I'm sorry.  Did I interrupt the coffee klatch with an honest GUN question?
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 09:44:37 PM »
This may take a little research but I like a challaange let me see what I can come up with.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 10:50:53 PM »
Ok here we go as for .308 I would not do it as the . 308 has more chamber pressure than the 7.62 as they may have the same case dimensions but are loaded differently .Example: a load for 7.62 topped with  155gn bullet under 37.6 gr of VHT N 140  and a c.o.l of 2.800 is different from the .308 with the same components but 39.3 gr of the same powder. and a c.o.l. of  2.800 so it would raise thee chamber pressures well above that of the 7.62, but if the firearm in question is chambered in  .308 shoot all the 7.62 you can get you hands on. This information was not difficult to find in a reloading manual. But at 11:45pm it to cold to go out and reload I figured that if I can help you  why not you seem like a decent guy. Hope I helped :D
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 07:00:47 AM »
Thanks Gunman1911. 

I have looked up the pressures and have read both pro and con articles on the net.

The Con is as you state due to chamber pressure.  The pro side says that "Yes, NATO ammo runs around 50,000 and .308 runs around 60,000 but the chambers were proofed at those (higher) levels when manufactured." 

So you see where I am on this.  I was hoping some one here had proof of the chamber being proofed originally at higher levels or some definitive answer.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:09:34 AM »

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 12:10:01 PM »

The Con is as you state due to chamber pressure.  The pro side says that "Yes, NATO ammo runs around 50,000 and .308 runs around 60,000 but the chambers were proofed at those (higher) levels when manufactured." 

Haz, I'm no expert but I work with engineers. If it's designed for ammo that generates 50,000 of anything, it will probably handle almost twice that without compromise.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk