Author Topic: Computer / Router / Adapter Issue? ?  (Read 5779 times)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Computer / Router / Adapter Issue? ?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 07:22:12 AM »
also with the PC's  do they also have built in Wireless adapters   as well as you using the USB one    as you could try using the buit in one  some PC ( well most )  have a switch on them to turn that on or off    there might be a conflict between them both  ???

My laptop has a built in wireless card, (most all do now), and that computer works fine and receives the signal without issue. It's the adapter in her computer that is having problems. The issue is with the adapter not the router which is working fine, that I'm certain of because the other 2 PC's run like the wind. So does hers for that matter once I unplug it and plug it back in.  Bill T.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 07:33:02 AM »
what model   USB adapter is it   and what OS version are you running ??
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

Badgersmilk

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:36:16 AM »
If it's a desk top computer, physically remove the adapter from the computer (take you more time to find the screw driver than to remove the card  ;)), then uninstall the software.  Reboot with the card out, and the software gone, shut down, then reinstall the card.  Start up the computer, install the software fresh. = Fixed.  :)

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 07:56:31 AM »
what model   USB adapter is it   and what OS version are you running ??

The adapter is a Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter WNDA3100V2

I'm running Windows 7 Premium Edition.     Bill T.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 07:57:58 AM »
If it's a desk top computer, physically remove the adapter from the computer (take you more time to find the screw driver than to remove the card  ;)), then uninstall the software.  Reboot with the card out, and the software gone, shut down, then reinstall the card.  Start up the computer, install the software fresh. = Fixed.  :)

It's not a card. It is a USB plug in unit. (It looks like a Flash Drive, and is about the size of a pack of gum.)   Bill T.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:36:07 PM »

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 08:22:45 AM »
Here is the deal. The adapter has a LED on it that shows amber and blue color. Without touching anything, and simply booting up the computer the blue light comes on. So it is definitely getting power at start up. Then as the operating system boots up, (after I enter the password), it suddenly goes out. No Internet will come up. I then simply unplug it and replug it and all is fine for as long as the system stays on. Nothing wrong with the cord, the unit, or the USB port.   Bill T.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 09:21:13 AM »
Don't know if you are interested in another approach, but if so, try this.

Open a Command Prompt window (either find this icon in Start/Programs/Accessories-WinXP or use the Run feature and enter Command)

at the prompt type    ipconfig /renew all            and hit enter.

This should "initialize" your network connections and perhaps will work for you.

If so, you can create a script file   possible name    NetInit.cmd   and put it in a folder, perhaps    c:\scripts

Then put it in your startup group

good luck
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »
I know this is not the "proper" fix, and I don't even know if it will work, but tonight instead of shutting down the computer, I'm just going to put it to sleep and turn off the monitor and speakers. Then I'll "wake it up" tomorrow and see if it still stays running.

What exactly shuts down in "sleep mode"? Do the fans, hard drive, and other mechanical devices shut down?? In other words, what continues to "wear out" in sleep mode?  Bill T.

Timothy

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 10:03:11 AM »
I have a Dell desktop that hasn't been shut down, except to move recently, in nearly six or seven years.  It'll be obsolete before anything wears out IMO...actually, it's already obsolete....but I don't care, it still works fine...

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 10:16:01 AM »
Mel went to the store just now so I put it to sleep. I don't think this is going to work because when I did the LED on the adapter went out. That means it's getting zero power, so I'll probably have to do the unplug, plug, ritual when I wake it up when she gets back. We'll see.  Bill T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk